• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Election 2016

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I think it's absolutely beautiful that, according to PPP, a pollster, there are more Republicans who think that Canadian-born Ted Cruz was born in the US (40%) than they do about Hawaiian-born Obama (29%).

Years
    Can anybody explain why Donald Trump is the front-running Republican candidate at the moment? Is his lead likely to land him the nomination?

Years
    He caters to the lowest common denominator and is the definition of a demagogue, and the tv ratings he generates guarantees that the news outlets cover him and spout his garbage. The closer we get to next November gets, you'll see Trump's popularity wane. That and the rest of the GOP field is committing gaffe and blunder after blunder, (Carson, Trump, Bush, etc) so none of the establishment candidates can make up ground on him and close him out.

Last edited:
    Years
    Meanwhile in Canada we've got an exciting three-way race going on with each of the major parties polling at capturing virtually a third of the votes each. Have fun Americans.

Years
    Meanwhile in Canada we've got an exciting three-way race going on with each of the major parties polling at capturing virtually a third of the votes each. Have fun Americans.

I would have thought more than a decade of Harper shenanigans would have dissuaded ya'll

Then again the NDP is moving more to the right/center to become more appealing to a wide array of Canadians, but that's really just eating into Liberal support LOL.

Anyway, Scott Walker dropped out. Not that I'll miss his union-busting azz heh

Years
    Of all the candidates running, I believe my favorites this time around are Bernie Sanders and Rand Paul. With me leaning more towards Sanders.

I can't stand the other Republicans, especially Donald Trump. He's an egotistical racist (not to mention misogynist). He wants to repeal birthright citizenship for immigrants, but doesn't know how he'd go about such an act. He wants to deport all illegals, but doesn't realize how costly that could be, not to mention it would still be going on well after his term would be over. He believes that vaccines used on children will have them develop autism later on (biggest crock of shit I've ever heard). I do agree with him on only one thing and that is his plan to raise taxes on the rich and lower them on the middle to lower class (which is a Democratic ideal as far as I know).
    We as a country are not ready for another Bush, regardless as how much he tries to paint his self differently than his father or brother.
    Fiona might have a chance considering that she's now the 2nd highest rated republican in the polls (although those don't mean much).
    Dr. Carson has his self in quite a pickle right now with his "We shouldn't have a muslim president" comment, and it'll be interesting to see how it effects him.
    Even as much as I like Rand Paul for the Republican bid, I don't see him making it that far.

Honestly, I believe that the Republicans have handed this election over to the Democrats.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Any thoughts on the big debate tonight? Americans will have their first opportunity to see Clinton and Sanders go toe-to-toe on policy and debate each other tonight, so things could shake up.

Years
    I'm mildly interested in hearing if O'Malley, Webb, and Chafee have anything different or new to add. I wonder how much all the candidates are going to agree on things and where they'll stand out on certain issues.

But yeah, I do want to see how Sanders and Clinton square against each other. She could come off looking more disconnected/impersonal when shown next to Sanders since he's all about the impassioned fight to the little guy. I'm hoping we get lots of clear, direction, passionate statements from everyone about where they stand since wishy-washy and evasive answers will just make the party seem weak and ineffectual and will fuel people who already don't like Clinton or Sanders.

Years
    Election 2016

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I thought Bernie fared well being his first "big" stage to pitch himself. A few flubs, but nothing like Scott Walker's abrupt end to his campaign after the debate.

O'Malley did well for finally getting a chance to pitch himself as well. Certainly going to get a sizable bump in the polls. The other two will be dropping out quickly. They got little mic time and little reason to deserve bumps.

Years
    Wow, Clinton did really well. But she comes across as snobby and artificial. Good debate skills, though, in terms of speaking fluently.

Bernie flopped with foreign policy, I think he zoned out for a second.

Webb... just so meh. But his response to Bernie being a conscientious objector in Vietnam was really sweet.

MMMPH "do black lives matter, or do all lives matter" very well put question.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Hillary was very poised and had some good answers, but I noticed her parroting Sanders a lot tonight - just in a more eloquent/wordy way. In terms of presentation, she was definitely most polished and most will probably say she "won" the debate. I still think she's the type of person to do whatever is politically expedient for herself, and I don't know how truthful she was in her answers. She's trying to paint herself farther left than she actually is, and she got called out on it a few times tonight.

Sanders was a little rough around the edges, but that's just who he is. What you see is what you get, and he's a no-BS tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy. He did stumble a bit during the foreign policy and gun control portions - but then again, how the hell do you respond to Jim "Let's go to war with China" Webb's outlandish ravings and tantrums? Thankfully he came back stronger than ever in the second half of the debate, and he and O'Malley both nailed Hillary in the economy/Wall Street talks. Definitely reinforced my support of Sanders as the nominee, even though I'm sure Hillary will still get it in the end.

I gained a lot of respect for O'Malley and I think he'd be my second pick for the nomination. He lacks some charisma and came across as overly...intense, maybe?...tonight, but you can tell he's got the right ideas and a record to back them up. As someone familiar with him as a governor since I live right next door to Maryland and had family living there while he was governor, I can say that he was good for that state and I could get behind him as a president.

Jim Webb was an embarrassment to my state as a senator and he was an embarrassment on the stage tonight. Constantly acting like a petulant child and expressing views that were more that of a Republican. And Chafee put the final bullet in his campaign with that "I was new and my dad died and I didn't know what that vote was for!" gaffe.

Overall though, it was nice to hear a (mostly) reasonable discussion of the issues facing the country, rather than a gaffe-ridden contest to see who could say the most outlandish, hateful, out-of-touch things and pander to an increasingly insane base.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Bernie flopped with foreign policy, I think he zoned out for a second.
    Actually, his opinions on foreign policy were the most popular out of the bunch. So says CNN's live straw poll, which I was watching the whole time. It is surprising, though, considering all. Unless you mean he stumbled over his words = flop, then they all flopped, haha.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I watched the Wings play instead of watching the debate (this turned out to be a great choice, that was one of the best games I've seen outside of the playoffs). I'm just reading through and watching some recaps of it in various places (mainly WSJ and FiveThirtyEight) and typing this up as I go.

So far, it seems like Anderson was more interested in "gotchas" than actually letting candidates discuss the issues. That irritates me. It was better than the Republican debates, but that's not a high bar.

Also, just when I thought Hillary couldn't irritate me any further, she says the most significant thing that would distinguish her from Obama is that she has a vagina (more or less). Bravo, Mrs. Clinton, what a wonderful issue to campaign on. Forget about policy, what really matters is that you have lady parts. The rest of the candidates should have just gone home at that point, clearly there's no challenging that, we obviously have our next POTUS. She then went on to play the woman card again not five minutes later. If I had a gun to my head, I wouldn't vote for her. I don't care if you're a woman. What matters is your plan to make life better for people. I didn't vote for Obama first term because he was black, I voted for him because I thought his ideas made the most sense. There's a reason I didn't vote Hillary in 2007/2008 and there's certainly a reason I won't be voting for her in 2015/2016. That reason is that her platform is abysmal; there are Republicans I would rather vote for, and of all the parties, I tend to disagree with them most frequently.

On Carly Fiorina's comment about paid leave being a burden on companies: "This is a typical Republican smear tactic," she says. Republicans don't like big government, she says, until they're demanding that the Congress defund Planned Parenthood and restrict abortion rights.

Uh, what? As someone who SUPPORTS Planned Parenthood, this makes no sense to me. The government providing funding for Planned Parenthood is, by definition, bigger government: it's the government involving themselves in affairs that aren't necessarily related to governance. I don't think it's a bad thing in this particular case, but her argument makes no sense.

"Hillary Clinton, citing her late mother, said her goal as president will be to help Americans who have been "knocked down" get back up again." Yeah, right. Only the ones that make a good photo-op.

I'm further irritated by the fact that she won't endorse the legalization of marijuana and hasn't taken a hard stance against foreign entanglements, especially the ones that have gone wrong that she voted for.

On the other hand, I'm liking Sanders more and more each time he talks. Voting against the PATRIOT Act is a HUGE point in his favor, as is not running with a Super PAC. I also greatly appreciate his desire to promote and protect the democratic process, something no one else on that stage or the other one seem to give a damn about. I also think his comments on gun control and affirmative action (the latter of which I care a great deal about) are remarkably sane for someone described as being a "radical" liberal, though I do have a few issues. And his attacks on Wall Street (which may as well run the government) and the pharmaceutical industry (which is thoroughly corrupt) are well-deserved. Most of all, he seems open to having a dialogue with those who want one and that's something I really like. But then, I already liked a lot of what Bernie had to say.

I think the most surprising part of this debate is just how much I disliked what Hillary had to say and how much I agreed with what Bernie had to say. Pretty much everything that came out of Hillary's mouth that was a point of contention ticked me off and pretty much every idea that Bernie voiced seemed somewhere between reasonable and absolutely correct. About the only thing I liked that Clinton said (and she still didn't come out strongly against it) is that she is kinda-sorta against the TPP now that she's looked at it. I would rather have seen a more firm opposition to it, but I don't really expect much out of her to begin with, so credit where it's due.

Well, that's about the extent of my thoughts. I didn't really bother to proof anything since it's more or less just what I thought as I was reading things. In the end, I'm still glad I watched the Red Wings beat the snot out of Tampa Bay over this, though. Man, that was a great game.

Years
    Feels kinda like he wasn't expecting he'd have to talk much about foreign affairs, doesn't it? But I guess he's leaning more toward an isolationist stance of sorts. I still see him as the best candidate of the bunch because of his core message of engagement of the people and cutting out the influence of money, but when it came to guns I was a little disappointed, though only a little. It just seemed a little odd that someone who seems willing to go as far as he does on so many things that he'd have such a moderate view on guns.

I was most surprised by how much of what I heard from O'Malley I liked. He's still not my first choice of course, but I can see him making a decent vice-presidental nominee, and with his closing remarks it almost feels like he knows that's the best he can hope for. The other two, Chafee and Webb, should drop out now. Chafee is in over his head (that part about his father dying was probably the worst flub in the debate) and Webb is basically a moderate Republican (which would be great to see in the Republican race, but that's not where he is).

To her credit Clinton seemed to perform best during the debate in that she didn't have any big flubs, but her stances and policies still seem to be a little out of step with what I'd want to see in a nominee. Plus, as much as I don't think it matters who the nominee is, when she claims that she can work with Republicans and then name them as her biggest enemy she's setting herself up for failure there.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I feel like I have to reiterate the part about Mrs. Clinton talking about her being a woman again because it just irritated me so much that someone would use this as a talking point. Let me make this perfectly clear: I don't care what is between your legs, I care about what you're going to do to solve problems and make the country better. The idea that someone running for POTUS would actually use this as a talking point in a campaign is utterly absurd to me. So you're a woman. So what? What exactly does that have to do with being the President of the United States?

Of all the stuff she said on stage, that irritated me the most. On the list of things I care about in a candidate, gender and sex are at the very bottom, somewhere below "number of toilets in childhood home." Male, female, black, white, that stuff makes no difference to me. Tell me about what you're going to do to make this country a better place.

Of course, in Hillary's case, I suppose it might be better that she does spend her time talking about how she's a woman, considering how abysmal all of her other talking points are.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I missed both the Republican and Democratic debates due to school stuff. I wish they would have given us less homework that day so we could have the chance to experience the debates and learn more. I will try to watch them this weekend so I can put in my two cents.

Back