• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[EM] Battle Engine Upgrade (On Halt, Will undergo reboot!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
  • Thank you very much for this! Just one question,

If I apply this engine, and an update comes out, is it possible to apply only the new changes/apply it again safely?

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
    Years
  • So, every move and ability works...uh, what about Judgment? And Arceus? I know you said certain forms/formes won't be added, but Arceus formes are influenced by items, through an ability and move, which is part of the battle system. That, and Giratina with the Griseous Orb?

Trainer 781

So, every move and ability works...uh, what about Judgment? And Arceus? I know you said certain forms/formes won't be added, but Arceus formes are influenced by items, through an ability and move, which is part of the battle system. That, and Giratina with the Griseous Orb?

Judgement indeed works by setting the extra item parameter to 1 and using the regular type boosting hold item effect values like Mystic Water, Charcoal etc.
    But these form(e)s will be added in a separate project like 'Non-battle form(e) change project'.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    Hi guys, Im noob here and I've got a problem with the installation of the engine.
    When i do these step:
    "In command prompt window, type 'python scripts//build', press Enter and then 'python scripts//insert' or 'python scripts//insert --debug>offsets.txt'(the latter will create a file with all functions and tables' addresses), press Enter. A new gba file will appear named as test.gba. That is your resultant file."
    I type these on the command prompt window:
    "C:\Users\RODAT\pokemon emerald>python scripts//insert" and then i press enter, it says me that is not a command. so i cant apply the engine. please help me. Thanks a lot

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
    Years
  • This should help anyone having issues applying the engine. I originally made it to make it easier to test out features of the engine. For any issues, comments, or concerns please post on Github. Do not spam this thread regarding this release. I hope this helps more people try out this engine and make the move to Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2020
    This looks great, congratulations in all the hard work. Btw, did you make any addition/changes to the more diverse battle scenarios of later Gens? Wild Double Battles? Triple battle? Horde? Is it too difficult to implement with this engine?

Also, I'm curious about Sky battles... is there a way to implement that? In the battle engine might seem easy (just block certain pokes or moves from being used, but maybe it is complicated to store info in the pokes or moves for this type of restriction. Could work in surf also, it doesn't make much sense to have Onix in a surf battle.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    There are FLAWS! on then Mega Evolution sequence:

1.) The message string requires to press A button again rather than "after the message in a few seconds, it proceeds"... both on the "Pokemon's Item is reacting to User's Item" and "Pokemon has Mega Evolved into Mega Pokemon" strings.

2.) The cry plays on the "Pokemon has Mega Evolved into Mega Pokemon" string rather than after the fade-in screen and within the shake and symbol animation (just to be referenced on the FireRed's Mega Evolution engine).
    3.) The cry plays in a lower pitch rather than the normal pitch.

Non-Mega Evolution FLAWS!:

1.) Every sequence is delayed twice than the original (e.g. after the move animation and damage, it took one second to proceed to the next sequence).

Last edited:

SidDays

Professional Lurker
    Years
  • I'm using this engine in my hack. Fighting type moves (Machop's Karate Chop) are super-effective against an Electric Type Pikachu -

edit3: Tested it on a freshly applied engine... same bug.

can somebody confirm if this is a bug with the engine or my hack?

I haven't touched the type resistance table or pokemon data for pikachu or the fighting-type moves.

edit2: Just tested Fighting Type move (Machamp's Low Kick and Karate Chop) against Medicham and it is 1x.

---
    EDIT: I also tried to have a look at the type effectivness table myself and haven't been able to seemingly locate it. offsets.txt says type_effectiveness_table: 08F45C18, but at that offset are some really weird entries:

0A 0A 0A 0A 0A 05

Fire 1x Fire, Fire 0.5x Fire? wat

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm using this engine in my hack. Fighting type moves (Machop's Karate Chop) are super-effective against an Electric Type Pikachu -

edit3: Tested it on a freshly applied engine... same bug.

can somebody confirm if this is a bug with the engine or my hack?

I haven't touched the type resistance table or pokemon data for pikachu or the fighting-type moves.

edit2: Just tested Fighting Type move (Machamp's Low Kick and Karate Chop) against Medicham and it is 1x.

---
    EDIT: I also tried to have a look at the type effectivness table myself and haven't been able to seemingly locate it. offsets.txt says type_effectiveness_table: 08F45C18, but at that offset are some really weird entries:

0A 0A 0A 0A 0A 05

Fire 1x Fire, Fire 0.5x Fire? wat

That's very strange, because everything seems fine when I test it. Are you sure you didn't change Pikachu's type?

It works like a charm! Thank you very much for this :D
    Spoiler:

I think this should go to the Pokemon Expansion thread. :D

SidDays

Professional Lurker
    Years
  • That's very strange, because everything seems fine when I test it. Are you sure you didn't change Pikachu's type?

Oh crap.
    Yes. I'm sure... I also tried it against Manectric just in case.

Just saying, I applied the engine with all the default settings and starting offsets on a clean rom (0x08F00000) - could that have been a problem?

also, is there particular emerald dump I should favor or something?

Years
  • Oh crap.
    Yes. I'm sure... I also tried it against Manectric just in case.

Just saying, I applied the engine with all the default settings and starting offsets on a clean rom (0x08F00000) - could that have been a problem?

also, is there particular emerald dump I should favor or something?

No, that wouldn't be a problem. You could send me your rom in PM and I'll try to see what's causing it.

Trainer 781

This looks great, congratulations in all the hard work. Btw, did you make any addition/changes to the more diverse battle scenarios of later Gens? Wild Double Battles? Triple battle? Horde? Is it too difficult to implement with this engine?

Also, I'm curious about Sky battles... is there a way to implement that? In the battle engine might seem easy (just block certain pokes or moves from being used, but maybe it is complicated to store info in the pokes or moves for this type of restriction. Could work in surf also, it doesn't make much sense to have Onix in a surf battle.

Sky Battle and Double Wilds are Possible. But Horde, Triples would require rewrite of the whole Battle Engine as well as the graphical interface.

There are FLAWS! on then Mega Evolution sequence:

1.) The message string requires to press A button again rather than "after the message in a few seconds, it proceeds"... both on the "Pokemon's Item is reacting to User's Item" and "Pokemon has Mega Evolved into Mega Pokemon" strings.

2.) The cry plays on the "Pokemon has Mega Evolved into Mega Pokemon" string rather than after the fade-in screen and within the shake and symbol animation (just to be referenced on the FireRed's Mega Evolution engine).
    3.) The cry plays in a lower pitch rather than the normal pitch.

Non-Mega Evolution FLAWS!:

1.) Every sequence is delayed twice than the original (e.g. after the move animation and damage, it took one second to proceed to the next sequence).
    Thanks for identifying these. Will be addressed.

Does Multitype work?
    Yes, in battle (You can't knock off, steal or swap a Plate in battle)
    No, in overworld. (The forme change.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back