• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emulation - Nintendo DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Okay... so at first I didn't feel right downloading a DS emulator, but I was curious as to whether you could actually play DS games on a computer, without the help of the touch-screen.
    So I downloaded one, it goes by the name 'DeSmuME'.
    I also downloaded Pokemon: Red Dungeon as a test to see if it could play the games....

Now, I dunno if its the game, or the emulator... because whenever I open up the game on it, it won't read it and the screen just stays blue, and nothing happens...

Is there something else needed to make the Emulator work, or is it just the ROM?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah, I figured that out, and downloaded another one called 'Ensata', theres also one called 'iDeaS'. They're the best ones, I guess, but they can only play certain ROMS so far... I'm hoping Ensata will work... ><;;

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    post blanked by Wolt: Please refrain from irrelevant comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    There was absolutely no reason to blank that post. And you wonder how PC gets a Wiki article like that.

I'm simply saying, it's best not to mess around with emulators anyways, unless you're testing programs coded from scratch. Commercial roms are illegal anyways.

Aon

Shadow Master
    Years
    In a board titled, ahem... "Rom Hacking and Emulation" debating wether you should use rom and emulators or not is not going to go down very well.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Drew said:
    Okay... so at first I didn't feel right downloading a DS emulator, but I was curious as to whether you could actually play DS games on a computer, without the help of the touch-screen.
    So I downloaded one, it goes by the name 'DeSmuME'.
    I also downloaded Pokemon: Red Dungeon as a test to see if it could play the games....

Now, I dunno if its the game, or the emulator... because whenever I open up the game on it, it won't read it and the screen just stays blue, and nothing happens...

Is there something else needed to make the Emulator work, or is it just the ROM?

well first pokemon red dungon is a gameboy advance game the ds one is pokemon blue dungon so that might be part of the problem another could be that the emulator dosn't support it couse ive cheacked out that emulator and they had a very long list of what games work and what games dont work on it

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    I don't feel like typing this up all again, so I'll just point you to this thread and quote the post I made there, as it pretty much explains the current situation with DS Emulators.

Scizz said:
    axlefoley said:
    That's not entirelly accurate there are a couple that play commercial games there is one that plays a few of them actually but it is slow on most games but on some others they play nicely
    Well, actually...no.
    Out of 10 commercial games, there might be one Emulator which can eventually load a few of them.
    The other will either crash after you loaded the ROM, will just show you a black screen,or let you get to the titlescreen.
    If you are lucky, you can emulate a game, with a lot of glitched graphics.

To name one popular Emulator: iDeaS.
    As you can see in the iDeaS compatibility list, most of the games are not playable.
    The farest as you can get is to emulate a game with glitchy graphics, but that's not what I understand as "playing".

I don't need to name a list of other GPL emulators, as they have almost the same lists. (Maybe some others are able to load some other games til the title screen, but that's it.)

The only exception to that is the Ensata Emulator, which is illegally ripped off from Nintendo's Dev Kits.
    This one actually can "play" a few games.
    But all of them are slow (and/or glitchy). Which, again, is not what I understand as playing.

Ensata compatibility list:
    Code:
    0010 - Cool 104 Joker & Setline (J) (Wario) - Yes  Works perfectly 
    0024 - Robots (E) (Trashman) - Yes  Works but slowly  
    0029 - GoldenEye - Rogue Agent (U) (Trashman) - Yes  Works but slowly 
    0038 - Ping Pals (U) (GBXR) - Yes  Works perfectly  
    0054 - Tiger Woods PGA Tour (E) (GBXR) - Yes  Works but slowly  
    0059 - Robots (U) (Trashman) - Yes  Works but slowly  
    0065 - Tiger Woods PGA Tour (U) (SpankMe) - Yes  Works but slowly
    So, the things that are actually playable are, as I said, either Homebrews, Demos or function tests.
    It will take some time until commercial games can be played.
    This should clear things up.
    Commercial games (with 1 or 2 exceptions eventually) are not yet playable.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It said they were... but I feel bad messing with a DS emulator.... it doesn't seem right to me... x__x

I'm going to delete Encata for that reason, and just the fact that I dont wanna take a chance on messing up the comp... @__@

This thread can be closed. My question was answered.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back