• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EV Training VS just trainging

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Hey guys ive been in pokemon sence it started big in the U.S i used to battle in tournements everywhere across the nation i havent really done this in about 5 or 6 years but my point being is what ever happend to just trainging a pokemon. People these days are all into Ev trainging and Ivs and all this diffrent stuff ive read about it all but honselty when me and some of my freinds battle and they use evtrained pokemon apposed to my pokemon i just raise they always lose i was wondering what you guy and gals opinion is on EV trainging and just regular training. could you give me your pros and cons about it all. And MODS if this thread is out of place or just off a topic PLEASE let me know ASAP. i will read all comments . THANKS.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
  • EV's and IV's are for the people who want to go more in depth with battling and explore all the different elements that exist.

Regular training is usually for people who just want to play the game without the seriousness of competition.

Just because you EV train doesn't guarantee you a win. And also IV's play a big part, so EV training alone might not suffice.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    If you're going into some serious battling, then you definitely want to EV/IV train. Competitive battling aren't just those too, you need a few strategies along with some good movesets and all. It's a complicated process.

"Regular" training or grinding would just be in-game stuff, where you just level like crazy. That's just about it. There's no hassle, no worry, no stress, just grind til you drop.

Now I guess I should list some pros and cons. EV/IV training takes a lot of time. EV training is hard enough, but it's faster if you add vitamins and all for specific stats, so that takes off 100 effort values (I'm just assuming you know these already). IV's are a lot more complicated. They're hidden values so you have to use some kind of calculator to help you configure it (Serebii.net has a wonderful IV calculator). For perfect 31 IV's, you need some serious dedication for breeding and other things. You need to carefully level things to check their IV's and... yeah. There are some nifty guides on the web.

A pro about EV/IV is the obvious your Pokemon will be freaking awesomely strong. Okay, not literally. Better trained is a better term. If you want to battle anywhere outside of games (excluding the Battle Frontier), then you really want to EV/IV train.

AquaFin

Mudkip Commander
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2016
    Well if you plan to do competitive battling, its recommended you should EV train for high stats to take out your opponent easier but its fine if you choose to skip it.If you dont compete in Wi-fi Battles its okay not to because regular training is fine as NPC trainers arent EV trained so just focus levelling up and aiming for 1 Hit KOs Etc.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • EV training is mainly for the competitive battlers (to make their Pokemon as strong/fast/durable as possible). "Simple" training/grinding (EVs aren't taken into account) is for those who want to enjoy the game. It's as simple as that.

Never Silent

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • I don't even think about it, really. I just run about in the grass until my Pokémon reach my goal level. EV training is for the technical players. ^^

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Ev training/Iv Breeding is mostly for Competitive battlers and Traders. Regular training is fine for the in-game part and if you aren't going into competitive. But, having a fully Ev'd trained Pokemon doesn't necessarily mean a 100% win. Iv's play a big part too.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I just train my Pokémon normally and that's enough for me. I'm happy when my Pokémon gains a level and meaby learns some new moves. I don't care about EV's. More important to me is strategy - items, moves and choices.

Johtomasterandlover

I´m the best of Johto
    Years
  • Look, It's just what happaned with me, but the Rayquaza I caught on my emerald for the first time, trained it without worrying about EV's, just levelling where I could has 402 ATK to this day. I kill Steelix with it. It's fun.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Thanks for All the comments guys i enjoyed reading your stuff

Years
  • Like most people have said, unless you're going into competitive battling then IVs/EVs don't matter too much. However if you're doing stuff like the Battle Subway or Tower then you will probably want to EV train and get good IVs. If you really wanted to EV train quite quickly though, then you'd want to get your Pokémon infected with Pokérus as that doubles the EVs you gain and can make it go very quickly.

N!elz

Beginning Hack-maker
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2012
    I just train the "traditional" way. Never lost to a friend of mine(same levels!).
    If you choose the right moves and help your Pokémon with some HP Up items and such, for just a little bit more strengh/speed/etc. You'll be fine ;) I can defeat the PKMN League in FR/LG easily with my Charizard only, without items!
    Some people really train as hell with those EV's/IV's, and then I think: How can you enjoy a game that way? So I say : Go for the traditional way!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • You don't need to EV train unless you're battling competitively against others who have also EV trained. And I've found that doing proper EV training is virtually impossible while you're playing through the story, since good EV spots for the stats you're interested in don't always come along early on in the adventure, and the Pokemon trainers carry are always a wild card.

What I've done in the past is, beat the game and all of the postgame, then grow and feed my Pokemon a bunch of the EV-reducing berries for the stats I don't care about. Afterward, I'll commence proper EV training from that point.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
    Years
  • When used with the same moveset by the same trainer, a properly EV trained Pokemon is universally better than the EXACT SAME Pokemon with regular training (with EVs scattered in unneeded stats). Your defeating friends' EV trained Pokemon with your regularly trained Pokemon doesn't falsify this statement, as your friends could be a worse battlers, could have used statistically worse Pokemon species, had type disadvantage, had a bad moveset that couldn't properly utilize the capabilities of their Pokemon, or just lost because of luck.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've EV trained once in my life, and it was solely for ingame purposes as well. Essentially, I had my heart set on getting an Eelektross for my team, so I caught a Tynamo in Black version. It was then that I went on Bulbapedia to find out about future movesets for Eelektross, only to find that it would eventually turn into a super-sloooooooooow critter. If I EV trained the crap out of its speed stats, it could become relatively respectable (if not actually 'quick' by any definition of the word). So, I went about trying to max out its speed EV by battling Woobat after Woobat after Woobat. And it worked... 3 hours later! I'm glad I did it, as my Eelektross has proven to be quite the combatant, but I'm not sure if I'd ever do it again, especially for non-competitive purposes.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    You don't need to EV train unless you're battling competitively against others who have also EV trained. And I've found that doing proper EV training is virtually impossible while you're playing through the story, since good EV spots for the stats you're interested in don't always come along early on in the adventure, and the Pokemon trainers carry are always a wild card.
    Oh it's definitely not impossible, faarrrr from that. The Pokémon you need for the right EVs are always close to the beginning, and in BW it's Patrat/Lillipup for attack, Petilil for special attack, Sewaddle/Swadloon for defense, Woobat for speed, and those are all available fairly soon in the game. Frillish and Stunfisk are for special defense and HP respectively, but I can't remember if there are any Pokémon for that in the beginning, doing this from the top of my head haha cause I EV trained so much in BW.

It is a pain though, because you have to keep track of the EVs yourself.

That being said I EV trained for a few months and then I was kind of done with it so I went back to normal training lol.

Years
  • I never bothered EV training Pokemon in game. After I beat the E4 and obtained the EV boosting items from the battle frontier / subway, I would start EV training Pokemon for competitive play. EV training is an absolute necessity for competitive play. You tailor your EVs to the Pokemon so that they can maximize their potential on the battle field. Sweepers need to hit hard and fast, walls need to be durable to take attacks etc.

Back