• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever gotten mistaken for the opposite gender?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I used to get mistaken for a guy back when my hair was short, my chest was flat, my hair did the Bieber thing, and I didn't do any eye make up. I don't get mistaken for male in person anymore, but I still do online and probably forever will, haha. I don't really care either way.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    No. It never happens. In real life, I don't really have much to indicate that I'm male. Just so obviously a lady what with the height and the face and the high-pitched voice.

On the internet, it still doesn't happen. I make it pretty clear that I'm a female, because being mistaken for a male is something that I really dislike. Can't tell you why, but it's one of those irrational angers. The only time I've been called "he" is not for me specifically, but if that person wasn't paying attention to my gender and was just using it by default as male pronouns tend to be.

I also think that my name helps in not confusing people. It's pretty lady-like. My mannerisms and the way I act also don't seem particularly masculine.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Nope. My second grade teacher always insisted on spelling my name with an 'e' on the end of it, which made it feminine. No idea why she did that.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    There were 2 times where I was mistaken for a girl 2 years ago. I had really long hair at the time, but due to my really skinny figure is probably why they thought that also. I thought it was hilarious.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Never in person, but I work a call center and sometimes I do, though it's pretty rare (for reference, I usually handle 40-80 calls a day). I have no idea how anyone does, since I have a relatively deep voice and I start the call by saying "IT, this is <male name>," but I guess some people just aren't paying attention.

Jayce

x-kid
    Years
  • Not since I was a kid. When I was 10 I shaved my head and wore pretty ambiguous clothing, so it happened a lot back then.

pkmin3033

I've had this happen to me a couple of times in real life, but that's mainly because people have been addressing me from the back, and I have a very ambiguous back, evidently. They apologize afterwards, and no harm is done. I've done this myself a few times with people, and it's embarrassing and awkward, but it happens.

Online, this happens all the time...like, on a daily basis. I prefer not to specify my gender, so people make their own assumptions. I don't really care, though...my gender has no relevance to who I am as an individual.

Years
  • When I had my hair really short I was constantly mistaken for a boy if I was dressing in androgynous clothing or men's clothes. Like a 14 year old boy. I got a lot of weird looks going into the women's dressing room, and at one point an older woman directed me toward the men's dressing room. I just rolled with it, haha.

Now that I'm growing my hair out though, I don't really get that.

Last edited:

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • Story of my life....
    I used to have long hair, like long long hair, and I always wore (And still do) skinny jeans, so people mistook me for a girl wayyyy to much. I have a high pitched voice too, so it just adds to the amount that I get mistaken for a girl.

Years
  • If I ever got mistaken for a guy in real life, I'd be kind of amazed, just saying.

I have had people think I'm a guy just by typing or talking, though. Mistaking me through typing, that I can definitely understand; the mistaking through hearing me talk always puzzled me though, especially when others who heard me around the same times could tell I was female. I mean, I'm well aware I'm in the deeper range for female voices, but I didn't think it was that deep.

(I even had one guy, who wasn't one that mistook me, tell me that his friend who was listening in was sure I was a 12-year-old boy. Okay then.)

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I can't recall this ever happening in rl lol. I present myself as very feminine I guess.
    I think maybe once or twice online, which can happen sometimes especially in chat settings. Oh, and league. you're just default a male if you ever play that game.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • People mistake me for a girl all the time because I have long hair. I remember one time when I was in the dentist's office and I was humming (like I often do). Some old man told my father "can you please tell your daughter to stop humming?" I wasn't amused. (To make things worse, I had a pink shirt on at the time.)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • In real life I never get mistaken for a boy because I don't look anything like one. On the internet, people don't "mistake" me for a boy, they just assume I am one because this is the Internet and I mostly go to Pokemon websites; some people just assume I'm a boy even if my username is something like "Winry."

Years
  • In real life this happened just a few weeks ago. I was putting something on the shelf at the store where I work and a lady walked up and said, "Excuse me miss." In order to make sure she knew I was a guy, I turned around and said, "Yes?" in a very deep and manly voice. Then she apologized over and over again, thinking I was offended by it. (I wasn't) The reason for this is cause I have long blonde hair. I'm practically a 23 year old Fabio, so from behind my hair looks like a girl's.

That's it for real life that I can remember. But it has happened online on numerous occasions. I dunno why, but I guess I just give off feminine vibes through the text that I write. Don't really understand it, but oh well. :3

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2014
    All the time when I was in high school. I had short hair, was tall and not curvy at all, never wore make-up, and it didn't help that I wore "boy" clothing all the time and hosted Mario Kart tournaments in study hall.

I have long hair again, and I've also gained some curves and learn to dress like a lady, so lately people don't question if I'm female.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I have longer hair, but not long enough for anyone to mistake me for a woman. I don't think that I've ever been mistaken for a lady, I think that I would be a scary looking lady. o.o

Online, on other websites where I've had genderless names I've been mistaken for a girl a few times, but it hadn't bothered me at all. I've never been mistaken on here because Bruce is obviously a man's name.

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
  • On the internet chat, most of the time.

I was on Lucid server using mIRC because of my nick, they thought I was a girl. It doesn't bother me though because I just ignore people who assumed I was.

Years
  • On the internet, never... Perhaps because I select feminine usernames most of the time?

In real life, however, I used to be mistaken for a boy when I was 10 years old. It was likely because I had short hair and wore very simple baggy clothes. Upon entering middle school, I decided to change my presentation to be a little more feminine and I grew my hair out. My gender was never questioned in real life after that. Interesting what small changes in hair and clothing can do.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • There is one photograph in my parents' photo album from when I was about 13 in which I didn't recognize myself at all...the first time I saw said photograph, I even asked my mom who that old lady was sitting next to her in my uncle's wedding photo. Let's just say that my awkward pre-teen years were really awkward. XD

Nowadays, being mistaken for female is pretty much impossible for me considering my musculature, rugged facial structure, and perpetual facial stubble. XP

Back