• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] Expected species name

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2022
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    [Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]

Exception: RuntimeError

File PBS/trainers.txt, line 32

HIKER

Compiler:2560:in `pbCompileTrainers'

Compiler:2553:in `each'

Compiler:2553:in `pbCompileTrainers'

Compiler:2530:in `loop'

Compiler:2667:in `pbCompileTrainers'

Compiler:4401:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4515

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Me\Saved Games\Pokemon Essentials\errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Whenever i attempt to play test this error pops up, I have tried a lot of things for the past half hour, any help?

Years
  • On line 32 in your Trainers.txt, you seem to be missing a name for a trainer. You currently have it as

Hiker
    GEODUDE,7

or something similar. change it:

Hiker
    Mark
    GEODUDE,7

and whatever team you have for the trainer.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2022
    Funny thing is, It only applies to that one line, i even tried deleting that trainer entirely from both trainer and trainertypes.txt and it still has that error message.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    Yeah, it definitely looks like an issue with the previous trainer. Specifically, it seems like you listed out too few Pokemon for the trainer before your HIKER trainer. See where it says "Message: Expected a species name: HIKER"? That means that on the line (line 32 for you) where HIKER is, it's expecting there to be the name of a Pokemon species. Instead, HIKER is there, and that is not a Pokemon species, so it throws an error.

To illustrate, your error spot probably looks something like this:

BUGCATCHER
    Pansygum
    WEEDLE,5
    CATERPIE,5

HIKER
    Ford
    etc, etc...

Since Bug Catcher Pansygum is supposed to have 3 Pokemon, but has only two, it just reads the HIKER as the next Pokemon after Caterpie.

Back