• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completed Fakemon Design Contest

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Fakemon Design Contest

Background image done by deviantart user lenaachan

In case you don't know, a Fakemon is, well, a Fake Pokémon that was made by fans instead of Game Freak. They can be both variations of already existing Pokémon (pre-evolutions, evolutions, mega evolutions, regional variants, etc.) or completely new monsters.

During the Get Together, we'll drop two prompts (one for each week), for you to design a brand new Fakémon!

Submission Rules

Each prompt might have different requirements, but generally speaking they'll require at least one image depicting your Fakemon.

It can be a sprite, it can be a drawing with pen and paper, it can be a digital drawing, a picture of a sculpture, whatever medium you want, as long as it's visual! You can even work in pairs, as long as both members are in the same team.

Our only requirements is that:

• All parts of the submission must be made by the submitter (or the other member, if submitting in pairs)
    • Your entry is PG (e.g.: no gore, nothing suggestive, the kind of stuff you could show to a random 10 year old).
    • Your entry must be made after the prompt was given.

Breaking Rules 1 and 2 might also break the PokeCommunity rules and as such, might lead to disciplinary action.

After making sure your submission fits all the criteria, send it via forum PM to me (Shooting Star) and the co-host Cubeth

The rewards

For each prompt, the Top 3 will receive the following amount of points:

1st Place - 100 points
    2nd Place - 50 points
    3rd Place - 25 points
    Participation - 5 points

Also, the Top 3 will gain free Smeargles VPPs! If you make Top 3 twice in the competition, they become shiny.

The deadlines

The prompts are given on Monday of each week and participants have until Friday 23:59 UTC (or alternatively 19:59 EST) to send them in, the results should be given before the following Monday.

How is the scoring done?

The basic rubric is:

• 40% of points for how well you match the prompt
    • 30% for visual design
    • 30% for textual design

We won't be judging on artistic ability per se, we'll be mostly looking for design elements and how the complement the Pokémon.

By textual design we mean things like how does the name, typing, species, PokeDex entries, etc. flesh out the Pokémon?

The prompts

1. Unusual Evolutions ~ Results
    2. The Past and the Future ~ Results

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Fakemon Design Contest - Prompt #1

Background image done by deviantart user lenaachan

Fakemon Design Contest
    Professor Rowan said:
    You may forgotten it already, but I study the evolution of Pokémon. But the more I study, the more mysteries appear and multiply. Pokémon that evolve, and those that don't... What makes them different from each other? Do those that are immature as living beings evolve to once more mature?

No matter what the Little Cuppers and the NFE Challengers tell you, evolution is a core part of the franchise. Sometimes it's all about getting stronger and more experienced, sometimes it's about a beautiful relationship between trainer and Pokémon (or the abandonment of one) and sometimes ... sometimes evolution gets weird. And this week, we're celebrating the weirdness.

Unusual Evolutions

You (and your pair, if you have one) should design a Fakemon that evolves from (or into) one of the existing Pokémon released before Generation IX (no spoilers ~ ).

This Fakemon should have a novel evolution method, that is, it should not evolve by any of these means:
    Spoiler:

Your submission should include the following items
    Spoiler:

Here's an example submission
    Example said:

Name: Milotic
    Species Name: Tender Pokémon
    Typing: Water

Evolution Family: Feebas
    Evolution Method: Sufficient Beauty

Pokedex Entry:
    • While Milotic is said to be the most beautiful Pokémon, Trainers who like Feebas and have raised it are seemingly disappointed by Milotic.
    • Its dwelling place is the bottom of big lakes. Those who behold its loveliness are said to have their hearts purified.

General Tips

The prompt should influence both the visual design aspects (how much does the final result looks like they were affected by the evolution process) and textual aspects (how much does stuff like name, species, dex entries, etc. reflect the evolution process).

It can be funny, creepy, heartwarming, scientifically impossible, whatever you want! The important part is telling a story with your writing and your art.

Submission

Please send the submission via forum PM to both me (Shooting Star) and the co-host Cubeth.
    If you're working in pairs, only one person needs to do the submission but remember to name your partner.

Happy art and hope y'all have a great week!

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    So, we're not allowed to involve items or locations in any way into the evolution method? Even if it would be used in a new way?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    So, we're not allowed to involve items or locations in any way into the evolution method? Even if it would be used in a new way?

You can if it's not just "Use an item" or "Level up in a certain location", it's why stuff like "Level Up" and "Level Up with Item" or "Friendship" and "Friendship at Time of Day" are different entries.

The "bad list" is very literal, if there's any difference at all from the method written there it's fair game.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    I'm going to have to cancel this one sorry, I'm away from home and run off my feet with uni! But I will try to do the next one

Good luck all, excited to see results! :D

Years
    Spoiler:

Name: Malydict (Mal-ed-ict)
    Species Name: The Scorned Pokemon
    Typing: Ice/Psychic

Evolution Family: Evolved from Jynx
    Evolution Method: Evolves when levelled up in the uncanny valley when a different Pokemon in the party reaches max friendship while its own is less than max.

Pokedex Entry: When a Jynx is filled with jealousy and rage, it can develop such a powerful vendetta that it fuels its evolution. The powerful curses Malydict subject their enemies to have become the source of many scary folktales.

Probably not my best work, but it'll have to do.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    aaaaaaaa coming in just now but i have a great idea :3c

Edit: done! ♥

Last edited:
    Years
    I was getting ready to submit my entry, but had a question before I did so. Is it okay if my fakemon is depicted against a stock background layer? The fakemon drawn is all my creation, but I do have it strolling through a second picture from our world for ambiance. Before I sent my drawing I wanted to make sure that's allowed,so long as the pokemon itself is original. I would think it's harmless, but in case I am wrong, I thought it was worth asking before I sent the pm, while I have time to edit anything out of the canvas that I need to so I can participate.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I was getting ready to submit my entry, but had a question before I did so. Is it okay if my fakemon is depicted against a stock background layer? The fakemon drawn is all my creation, but I do have it strolling through a second picture from our world for ambiance. Before I sent my drawing I wanted to make sure that's allowed,so long as the pokemon itself is original. I would think it's harmless, but in case I am wrong, I thought it was worth asking before I sent the pm, while I have time to edit anything out of the canvas that I need to so I can participate.

I'd rather not, just so we can get parity with everyone since many people have already submitted.
    I'd recommend putting some gradients or just having a blank / transparent background (or drawing your own if you have the time).

Years
    I'd rather not, just so we can get parity with everyone since many people have already submitted.
    I'd recommend putting some gradients or just having a blank / transparent background (or drawing your own if you have the time).

I understand, I will remove the overworld background and to conserve time I will just put in on a blank canvas or fill it in a with a mono color background. Thanks for telling me. Submission pending! This was fun to make!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I sent mine in. I literally had no issue coming up with evolution methods but I still felt kinda stumped when it came to the actual design. ^^"

Back