• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fakemon?

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
Years
  • I've been working on a Pokémon Hack for months now; I was thinking of putting a lot of Fakemon (Like Quartz) but with some old Pokémon (like 90% and 10%) but today I entered this thread and readed that the fans don't like fakemon.

Why is it? And do you think it'll be ok if I put like 90% old Pokémon and some pre-evos and new evos(Chimecho evo, Kanghaskan pre-evo, etc.)?

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
  • to be honest-it's too much work with them: Inserting( maybe creating back sprites if they don't have one...), editing the types, evolutions, attacks...
    Now Imagine doing the same stuff 200 times of more...

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2019
    I'm surprised there aren't more Fakemon hacks, since I find Pokemon creation to be the most fun when it comes to a made up Pokemon game. Sprite creation, inserting, coming up with all the stats/moves/etc is time consuming, yeah. It's the only thing I know how to do (with tools because I am dumb).

The reason why that one thread has so many people against Fakemon is because the focus on the thread is things you dislike, not things you love. I noticed a lot of the people who hated Fakemon made exceptions for nicely made ones. Don't sweat it, if you made a hack that was Fakemon focused, I'd play it :)

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
    Years
  • I'm surprised there aren't more Fakemon hacks, since I find Pokemon creation to be the most fun when it comes to a made up Pokemon game. Sprite creation, inserting, coming up with all the stats/moves/etc is time consuming, yeah. It's the only thing I know how to do (with tools because I am dumb).

The reason why that one thread has so many people against Fakemon is because the focus on the thread is things you dislike, not things you love. I noticed a lot of the people who hated Fakemon made exceptions for nicely made ones. Don't sweat it, if you made a hack that was Fakemon focused, I'd play it :)

I thought something similar about it. Making a new region and new features is really cool, but hacks like Quartz that just have the Fakemon modified(basically, I know it has some text changes but it's pretty much the same) are really cool to play. I'm also considering the fact that 386 Fakemon(as in RSE and FRLG) is a pretty tiring job.

The main problem (aside from fandom opinion) here is that, IMO I have pretty good concepts, but lack the talent for Pokémon Spriting.
    I can make 'em, but not as good as those on your avatar, for example.

So, I guess I'll just make some 50 or 100 (evos and pre-evos) to get started on Fake-spriting and later I'll make a just-fakemon game =P

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Most people have only played games with the really, really bad type of Fakemon, or Fakemon that don't look like Pokemon mixed with Pokemon. It's a bad combination. Either completely remake the whole Dex or make Pokemon-like Fakemon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    Personally, I'm a big fan of fakemon. The issue is quality, as others have said. I think that if it looks good, has a reasonable name, and it's balanced, then people will forget their prejudice. What surprises me is that most hacks I've seen that include fakemon will not show screenshots or even provide any info on what has been added.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    It's because most of the fakemon that have been made are not good. In lamens terms, crap.
    And, like The Scarcrow Toxin said, the process of adding new Pokemon in a hack is difficult and time consuming.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Personally, I like to see well made fakemon. Particularly pokemon-like fakemon, because otherwise they don't fit in with the game. A 'dex full of non-pokemon-like fakemon is just plain ew.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • On Fakemon:
    There may be nothing intrinsically wrong with them but that doesn't mean that people can't dislike them. Similarly, even if a hack has very well-done, custom tiles, I (hypothetically) may not play it simply because I might not like custom tiles, regardless of their quality. Some people, myself included, prefer the comfort of the familiar.

That last line explains why I personally avoid hacks that have Fakemon and I assume why others do the same. I've seen some very professional looking Fakemon in my time but I just like the original pokemon. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, no?

A "real world" example of what I'm saying: If a someone is a homosexual, they won't be attracted to someone of the opposite sex, regardless of how attractive they may be to a heterosexual. They may think that they are attractive but that doesn't mean that they are attracted to them.

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2019
    I like making Fakemon of types that don't exist. I also enjoy creating their (realistic) movesets and stat distribution, their dex entries, everything. I'm bored of the same, predictable Pokemon.

I understand preferring the familiar... it hurts to go through the effort of Pokemon creation just to see people dismiss it without giving it a chance. Then again, I avoid hacks with EPIC!!11 plots and main characters who speak, so whatever.

Opalescent

Ninja Mapper
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    RE:Fakemon

One of the greatest thrills (for me) when I get a new Pokemon Hack is seeing if they bothered to put new pokemon in or not. I'm bitterly dissapointed 90% of the time. It takes a lot of commitment and you have to be willing to make them look professional. I'm lucky to be working with an excellent sprite artist, so I guess al I have to worry about is programming them in.

Personally, I'm all for new Fakemon. The make games unique and interesting!

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • quartz is an example of crap fakemon

Yet Quartz is also one of the most popular and well-known hacks around, up there with Shiny Gold, Chaos Black, the Ruby Destiny series, the Rijon Trilogy, etc.

I don't know what that would imply but it's something to consider.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    quartz is an example of crap fakemon

You know, judging by your post-count (only this one post)...I'm going to have to write this off as nothing more than a troll post. That said, what I have seen in screenshots would suggest a fair level of skill in the sprites for Quarts. How well they match the Pokemon style is another matter, but they seem reasonably well drawn. Actually, I have to give credit to anyone who can make a sprite, as opposed to simply modifying one to the point it looks like something else.

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • I use Fakemon for my hack.
    People usually don't like Fakemon because they're not well done or fully inserted.
    Icons, backsprites, attacks, etc.
    It's a lot of work.

That's why I inserted all the Fakemon into my hack before doing scripting ^^

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • You know, judging by your post-count (only this one post)...I'm going to have to write this off as nothing more than a troll post. That said, what I have seen in screenshots would suggest a fair level of skill in the sprites for Quarts. How well they match the Pokemon style is another matter, but they seem reasonably well drawn. Actually, I have to give credit to anyone who can make a sprite, as opposed to simply modifying one to the point it looks like something else.

No, Quartz sprites are actually crap.

Even Baro admitted it.

i dare you, call me a troll. xD

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Most of people dislike fakemon because they don't Look like a real pokemon. If the sprite is good and look like a real pokemon, I think then people will like it.
    For example: A fakemon Should not look like a pokemon that already in pokemon game unless it is an Evo. Of a Pokemon. It should have a link to pokemon(I mean it should not look like a Fakemon or other Cartoons like Digimon). a fakemon must look good don't look like a funny art etc. (sorry for my Bad English...)

Back