• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Instead of thinking in terms of 'cliché', I think you'd be better off just finding a plot / villain plot that fits your story.
    Which is a problem since he's a ruthlessly logical, cold character. I want something with a twist yes, but also the plot before the twist I want to fit with his personality. An ideal that would seem revolutionary in it's own right (in regards to the in-universe characters).

This makes less sense I think. XD
    Tired..

Bay

Years
    Which is a problem since he's a ruthlessly logical, cold character. I want something with a twist yes, but also the plot before the twist I want to fit with his personality. An ideal that would seem revolutionary in it's own right (in regards to the in-universe characters).

This makes less sense I think. XD
    Tired..
    If you're talking about having the plot fit his personality, I'm sorry, but it seems you're making your villain a Sue. Don't, DON'T have the plot revolve around your character in any shape or form. Think of the plot of your story first, and then your villian's personality and how he'll overcome the situations at hand.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    If you're talking about having the plot fit his personality, I'm sorry, but it seems you're making your villain a Sue. Don't, DON'T have the plot revolve around your character in any shape or form. Think of the plot of your story first, and then your villian's personality and how he'll overcome the situations at hand.
    Uhh. Enough with this "Sue" nonsense. If basing the plot around the character results in a Mary Sue, then that instantly marks just about every single work of fiction as a Mary Sue work. At least the character stories, which, obviously, focus on the characters and how the plot revolves around them.

Bay

Years

Uhh. Enough with this "Sue" nonsense. If basing the plot around the character results in a Mary Sue, then that instantly marks just about every single work of fiction as a Mary Sue work. At least the character stories, which, obviously, focus on the characters and how the plot revolves around them.
    Not true. In those character stories, there is a situation of sorts where they have to get through and they developed at the end. Let's say Kim has to get through her fear of flying. The plot would be of her doing just that and at the end she'll be developed. That's where the character revolves around the plot because she needs to take some action in her own hands, not some plot device that'll help her. If I have the plot revolve around the character though, Kim wouldn't have to deal with flying and gets away with it.

It's not like I'm bashing Mizan's work. I'm just stating what I believed based on his explanation and trying to have his character more well-rounded before he writes him so that he can develop him the right way.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Not true. In those character stories, there is a situation of sorts where they have to get through and they developed at the end. Let's say Kim has to get through her fear of flying. The plot would be of her doing just that and at the end she'll be developed. That's where the character revolves around the plot because she needs to take some action in her own hands, not some plot device that'll help her. If I have the plot revolve around the character though, Kim wouldn't have to deal with flying and gets away with it.

It's not like I'm bashing Mizan's work. I'm just stating what I believed based on his explanation and trying to have his character more well-rounded before he writes him so that he can develop him the right way.
    He made no indication that the character would neither be well-rounded or developed. I just really dislike the term "Sue" thrown around a lot when most people don't seem to realize that some of the greatest literary figures are Mary Sues, so the whole issue is moot and only serves in distancing people from writing.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Sorry, I knew I wasn't being clear ad I was at fault somewhere...
    I meant evil plot, as in the plan that the antagonist uses that have a generally negative effect on his target(s). If he's the one who planned it, I doubt he'd make problems for him to solve, unless of course something were to go wrong.

Actually, basing the plot around a certain character, and have every obstacle melt in his/her path without sufficient effort or due to the extreme proficiency of said character who just happens to know how to do everything or things relevant to the 'getting rid of the obstacle' without prior explanation is a Sue.

That, is my take on the Sue as the plot bends to suit his/her need.

Bay

Years
    Sorry, I knew I wasn't being clear ad I was at fault somewhere...
    I meant evil plot, as in the plan that the antagonist uses that have a generally negative effect on his target(s). If he's the one who planned it, I doubt he'd make problems for him to solve, unless of course something were to go wrong.
    Oh, okay. Sorry for making the wrong assumption and jumping the gun at your villain. ^^;

Okay, you said before he's a ruthlessly logical, cold character, right? To me a character like that would do something in the lines of getting his targets one by one and not leave his tracks behind. Hm, you think you can explain the situation going on in your story first so that I can have a better idea what exactly is the villain doing?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Actually, basing the plot around a certain character, and have every obstacle melt in his/her path without sufficient effort or due to the extreme proficiency of said character who just happens to know how to do everything or things relevant to the 'getting rid of the obstacle' without prior explanation is a Sue.

That, is my take on the Sue as the plot bends to suit his/her need.
    That's true, but you made no indication that your story was like that. Also, many masterpieces of literature and popular characters do fit that profile. Just saying.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Oh, okay. Sorry for making the wrong assumption and jumping the gun at your villain. ^^;

Okay, you said before he's a ruthlessly logical, cold character, right? To me a character like that would do something in the lines of getting his targets one by one and not leave his tracks behind. Hm, you think you can explain the situation going on in your story first so that I can have a better idea what exactly is the villain doing?
    Well, when I say that he's ruthlessly logical, I'm referring to contractors in Darker Than Black. However, contractors have been known to kill for no reason so I don't think that's very logical. I'm planning on making the antagonist be coldly logical the entire story, and allow one single lenience, since being logical is hard, an aspect I touched upon in the prologue. Anyway, I want the protagonist to grope around in the dark and struggle to find out why he, the protagonist, has been changed by the antagonist. No, this isn't a 'lulz lets make a super soldier plot',but my character thinks it might be.

About the villain, the one lenience is what I want as the evil plot. One thing he can indulge in before he dies. Yeah, he's about sixty or so... And, he doesn't do the killing(yet).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Or you could perhaps think of another scene from the middle or end of the story and write that. Getting that done will perhaps drive you to write the actual beginning of the story to reach that scene.

It's something that I've done. I had the idea of a story in my mind, wrote a later scene, and then went back to see how the characters got there.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Any advice for getting started? I mean, like, actually starting and writing a story? I've been planning too, but for someone reason, I just can't start. Any ideas on how to get me to start?
    Well, you could try brainstorming. If you're having trouble finding an idea for story, then list down any random thing that comes into your mind.

eg.

Eggs,

Robots,

Espeon,

Monkeys,

Ect.

Then, after you're satisifed, try to think of interesting combinations for words on the list. Genetically altered Espeon Monkeys, Robot Eggs, Robot Espeons, ect... Sometimes, this helps in starting a new fic, sort of like a prompt in a writing contest.

Or you could perhaps think of another scene from the middle or end of the story and write that. Getting that done will perhaps drive you to write the actual beginning of the story to reach that scene.

It's something that I've done. I had the idea of a story in my mind, wrote a later scene, and then went back to see how the characters got there.
    This helps when you have the idea of the story, but cannot start. I recommend this method too. ^^

Who here likes Agatha Christie's murder mysteries?
    Raises hand. XD
    I haven't read anyway because I can't find any n bookstores. But I liked the synopsis online, so I'm planning to buy.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Eggs,

Robots,

Espeon,

Monkeys
    SUPER ROBOT MONKEY TEAM HYPERFORCE GO!

WITH ESPEON EGGS AS WEAPONS!!!

AND ROBOTNIK BECAUSE HE'S AWESOME AND HATES SONIC SO MUCH HE TATTOOED "HATE" ON HIS TEETH. THAT'S WHEN YOU KNOW IT'S REAL. WHEN YOU TATTOO YOUR TEETH.

Brainstorming never really worked for me. Pretty much all of my ideas just came as sudden bursts of inspiration that I had to hurriedly write down before I lost the idea to my faulty memory. Or I "wrote" the idea so many times in my head that it sticks.

You could get inspiration from anywhere. Passages from other things that you've read, music, even just people watching are good ways to get ideas.

No longer Luke :( said:
    Who here likes Agatha Christie's murder mysteries?

I'm thinking of writing a Hercule Poirot short story fanfiction because I'm addicted to Agatha Christie atm.
    Like that for example.

Or my personal favorite: you just feel like torturing your characters even more.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Raises hand. XD
    I haven't read anyway because I can't find any n bookstores. But I liked the synopsis online, so I'm planning to buy.
    A...library might work...?

Also, are these synopsis' full stories or just blurbs? Because if they're full stories, it ruins the point of a whodunnit. But you'll soon realise a pattern - the murderer is the one that you never suspect. Seriously, NEVER. I learnt the pattern and suspected an unlikely person...but I was once again completely wrong. D=

No longer Luke :(
    It's only two letters away.

Luke
    Luso
    Luke
    Luso
    Luke
    Luso
    LUSO

=D

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    If only it were that easy in getting to the library...

Also, are these synopsis' full stories or just blurbs? Because if they're full stories, it ruins the point of a whodunnit. But you'll soon realise a pattern - the murderer is the one that you never suspect. Seriously, NEVER. I learnt the pattern and suspected an unlikely person...but I was once again completely wrong. D=
    It's a full story, but I take pride in the fact that I cannot remember anything from the synopsis at all. I don't remember who did it.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    I'm ba~ack!

For the moment. And I feel so happy and benevolent to the world...

Maybe it's because I've been undergoing preparations for a surgical operation some time soon, and by "preparations" I mean take some pills that do strange things to my sense of smell (and taste) and to my mood, have to change my sleep schedule, and avoid pretty much one of each drink with each letter of the alphabet from A to Z... Did I ever mention that I suffer from strong neuralgia and that three doctors were fighting over me to make their case? Well they did find something of significance.

So I feel somewhat nimble and mischevous today. I just hope those pills don't make me register to vote in the upcoming elections or anything of that nature.

In the meanwhile, for those who did not notice, I finally updated the Bold Topics Index with the last tidbits from 2009. Sorry for taking 10 days for the last 3 days, but I had left the flashdrive with the list somewhere else so I had to compile a partial list, wait till I got both parts together and merge.

And, now then, conversation? This got my attention:

It's only two letters away.

Luke
    Luso
    Luke
    Luso
    Luke
    Luso
    LUSO

=D

Well, if you feel like exploring the marvels of the alphabet...

Luke
    Duke ♦
    Dune
    Dine
    Dice
    Rice
    Rick
    Tick
    Tuck
    Tusk
    Lusk
    Luso
    Luso
    LUSO

Changing only one letter for each step. And all either Wiktionary valid words, or person names. :D

At the ♦ step, I had the choice of going with Dike, then Dice, then a censored word, then back to Rick, thus saving one step.
    But No... Curses the censored word, and pushes it up the censorer's asses...

I won' get yellowcarded for ↑ that, right?

Also boldtopics.

Any New Year's Resolutions that have to do with writing?
    To publish the stories that I have pending. And take part in a writing contest again, this time improving and hopefully beating txteclipse's challenge. Beyond that, my resolutions this year go more on the reading direction than on the writing one.

Any advice for getting started? I mean, like, actually starting and writing a story? (by Adder)

I support Astinus' suggestion: try to write a piece that actually comnes to your mind. If you have been planning, then most surely there's a plot bunny pup (cub?) that is already trying to leave your brain and you can take advantage from that.

Actually, something that helped me write was posting my ideas here. I got some pretty good feedback and directions on points I hadn't already considered (and were thus sort of "blocking" my thought train); once those got all cleared up, I started to write without much trouble.

Astinus said:
    Or my personal favorite: you just feel like torturing your characters even more.

That's also an option, but I shudder to think about the kind of inspiration that a person who likes to do that on a more-than-regular basis is used to. :D J/K and hi, Astinus.

I'll be leaving for a moment and then come back later, maybe with a topic.

Also, happy NY to everyone in case I missed it (which I think I did).

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Gah! School! ;_;

Anyway... I found out that advil makes me have vivid dreams... Much fun, and I should try to do something this weekend...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Anyway... I found out that advil makes me have vivid dreams... Much fun, and I should try to do something this weekend...
    Had one of my greatest fiction ideas ever while dreaming. It was really vivid, and I was sad to wake up from such a perfect dream. It was told in a 3rd person POV, had anti-matter cannons, and ended with a depressed girl who commits euthanasia with the help of a ninja cultist...

Fun times. ^^

In the meanwhile, for those who did not notice, I finally updated the Bold Topics Index with the last tidbits from 2009. Sorry for taking 10 days for the last 3 days, but I had left the flashdrive with the list somewhere else so I had to compile a partial list, wait till I got both parts together and merge.
    I see that you added those top three topicsers you said you would. XD

Also, no references to kittens?

Au contaire, a lounge first(in topics at least).
    There's a kitten over there! Have you ever inserted an Easter Egg into any of your writing?

There was a topic like this that spawned from dialogues with readers, but it wasn;t bolded.

Also,
    Have you ever gotten any ideas from dreams?

Anyway, back to the more serious section of the lounge.
    What is the boundary that seperates Science-Fiction, and Fantasy?
    They're two very similar genres, but sometimes people mix the two up. For instance, Star Wars. A lot of people think that FMA is fantasy, but in the Universe itself, Alchemy is depicted as a Science and has very strict rules.

Also, in Star Wars. When has Science been the focal point in which the plot revolves around. It seems more befitting to the Fantasy genre, but you'd be surprised at how many people think it's Sci-Fi.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back