• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite and Least Favorite Z-Move animations?

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
Years
  • What are your favorite and least favorite Z-Moves in Gen 7?
    My favorite Z-Move is a tie between Subzero Slammer (Ice Z-Move) and Sinister Arrow Rain (Decidueye's signature Z-Move). The reason why? Simplly because they look awesome. I really have no other reason. My least favorite, however, is Twinkle Tackle (Fairy Z-Move). Despite Fairy being my favorite type, the Fairy type Z-Move just looks terrible. It's animation looks so lazily done. The Pokemon doesn't even animate. It just starts flying all around the field and runs into the opponent. I know Breakneck Blitz (Normal Z-Move) has the same problem, but at least it's somewhat understandable. I tried to use this one on Snowy (My Ninetales), and when that animation played, I was mostly confused. Since not all Fairy-types fly, it looks REALLY awkward when used by a non-flying Pokemon.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Hello :) This thread would be better suited for Pok?mon Sun & Moon, as it corresponds to a specific section rather than all of gaming. I'll send it over there for you, alright?

Thread moved.

Years
  • For Z move i'll go with the Grass, steel, rock and normal Z move as my favorite.

Personnaly I don't count the unique Z move since of course they got better animation than all the other Z move and they can only be used by one pokemon ( alola starter, eevee, pikachu alola raichu) But I agree th fairy Z move was really dissapointing.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Water so far is my favourite. Fire is meh, as is grass, normal looks a bit rubbish on some larger pokemon.

Snorlax' move is good as is decidueyes.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Oh, I entered this thread expecting the actual dances, and I was about to talk about how my character makes the Water Z-Move dance look adorable. Aw.

In terms of actual abilities, I'd have to say Inferno Overdrive. It looks way over the top and like something that belongs in a Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm game. I love it! The Fighting one, All-Out Pummeling, is also spectacular, as it's just JoJo stuff. Anime aside, if I were to remove hobbies from why I'm drawn to a particular Z-Move, then I'd have to say Water Vortex. I just love how it looks like the opponent is at the mercy of your giant whirlpool. It's even better when it's a little Psyduck using it.

I don't have all of the Z-Moves yet nor have I used them all, but my least favourite's probably Breakneck Blitz. It's...just a glorified Tackle, really.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • My favourite is the animation for the malicious moonsault and the ground type z move.. I tend to forget it's name though. My least favourite animation would be Sinister arrow shackle and the continental crush (apparently, goku enters the minds of the pokes and performs a spirit bomb..).

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    My favorite would have to be for the Electric type or Malicious Moonsault because it's a glorified wrestling move. I hate that Twinkle Tackle....it's the dumbest thing ever.

Years
  • My fave Z-Move animations are Tectonic Rage (Ground), Hydro Vortex (Water), Shattered Psyche (Psychic), Subzero Slammer (Ice), Continental Crush (Rock), Never-Ending Nightmare (Ghost) and Black Hole Eclipse (Dark).

If you also count ones exclusive to certain Pokemon I am also a fan of Pikachu's Catastropika, Alolan Raichu's Stoked Sparksurfer, Eevee's Extreme Evoboost, Primarina's Oceanic Operetta and Ash Pikachu's 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt.

I do agree with those who mentioned the Fairy-type Z-Move Twinkle Tackle as the worst of the lot. The animation always made me cringe since it doesn't really fit what the type is meant to be.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    Malicious Moonsault is my favourite by far, It's flashy, fast (compared to other Z moves) and Incineroar's smirk is the best thing ever, it just looks aweome.
    I also love Stoked Sparksurfer, Never-ending nightmare and the dark one even if I don't ever use cause Malicious Moonsault is already dark.

My least favourite is probably the Fighting one, they just stand there while random punches out of nowhere hit the enemy, it's kind of meh.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen today
    For the best, a tie between the Flying Z-move: Supersonic Skystrike and the Tapu Z-move: Guardian of Alola.

The flying z-move is just so stupid, with the pokemon flying straight up, like cardboard; it's hilarious. Imagine a Diglett or Bewear just flying straight up like being teleported. And then smashing to the ground without any reaction, it's so good.

Guardian of Alola is pretty good, with the sadistic face of the protagonist and they smash their fist into their hand, indicating to the Tapu to destroy the opponent. The memes are also great. So good.

Haven't really got a least favourite. They're all pretty alright to me.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
  • My favorite Z-Move animation is Snorlax's Pulverizing Pancake. Just the way it suddenly looks up with demonic eyes is hilarious.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Loved Decidueye's Z-Move. Also Continental Crash or something (Rock type Z-Move) was awesome.

Snorlax' Z-Move is funny, and I like it.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • My favorite are all of the Electric-type z-moves, especially 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. My other non-Electric favorites are Subzero Slammer, Shattered Psyche, and Genesis Supernova.

My least favorite ones are the ones where Pokemon fly around the screen because Gamefreak chose not to animate them properly so it looks absolutely dreadful most of the time, with the worst being Twinkle Tackle. I also hate Malicious Moonsault because wrestling is tacky.

Years
  • I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of how the Fighting type Z-move is animated, mostly because it looks really lazy to me how the Pokemon just kinda sits there with fists coming out of it, y'know?

I was about to think of that, because while being a flurry of fists made sense, the way it was animated didn't feel lively enough.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    Favorite is Corkscrew Crash because it's litteraly Gurren Lagann's Giga Drill Breaker

Least favorite is Breakneck Blitz, just because of the lazy animation. Twinkle Tackle is saved for being my least favorite just because first time I used it was with Mimikyu. I thought getting fluttered around by a ghost in a world of pink and sparkly stars was... uncanny.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Favourite Z-animation? Possibly a tie between Water, Fire, Bug, and Ground, with Electric and Ghost being close seconds. All of them look badass.

Least favourite? Rock, hands down. I guess I just think it's kinda lazy? I mean it's literally just squashing the opponent with a large rock. It's literally Rock slide but instead of several small rocks it's one big rock. I've never bothered to give this to any of my mons as a result.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    ghost and dark are pretty cool but honestly i never used the z moves a whole lot bc the animation takes a really long time imo

extra damage/effects < animation time length i guess???

Years
  • water and ghost types!
    for the specific ones, i'd say subzero slammer, catastropika and....well...primarina's signature z move :)

Back