• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Animal-inspired Pokemon!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    From mammals to fish, insects to birds, a lot of Pokemon have been inspired by real-life Animals.
    Out of the very long list, which would you say is your favorite and why?

For me, it would have to be Pyroar. I love lions, and i think its great GF decided to include a lion pokemon in the newest game. Fire is a pretty fitting type i think, and i love how the male and female versions look so very different.

So go ahead, share and discuss ~

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Ninetales and Vulpix, because, well, I love foxes. <3 I also really like Growlithe; it's a very cute puppy. Few of my other favorites would be Pidgeot, Talonflame, Beautifly, and Vivillon.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I really like Politoed. It's a cute green frog that summons rain wherever it is! I like amphibians, they're a different animal to the rest. Along with the frog train is Greninja. Dat tongue scarf, along with an amazing ability in Protean. Can't be beat. I also like Helioptile/Heliolisk, because they're frill necked lizards. Frill necked lizards are native to Australia, so I thought that was really cool on Game Freak's part.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    Wailord is my favorite animal-based/general Pokémon. Warlord is basically the best Pokémon, along with Wobbuffet :P I like Wailord because it's massive and it would be awesome to send one out in battle. Like all of a sudden there is a massive whale in front of you. Irl whales are cool so that's another reason why I like Wailord.

Years
    Not to sound monotonously, but gotta say fox-like Pokemon. Vulpix and Ninetales being my most favorite evo line and Pokemon of all time, Fennekin and Braixen + Eeveelutions following them.

Years
    Well all of my favorite pokemon were inspired by animals, Pikachu being my #1, and he is a mouse, but since I always answer with Pikachu, I'll pick another one for this...hmms.
    I really love the fox ones, Vulpix, Ninetales, Fennekin. And eevee looks like an animal and I really love him, although I can't say for sure what animal it is.
    I also love the butterfly ones, especially Butterfree and Vivillion.
    And Growlithe/Arcanine are in my top ones, too. :D

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I really liked the designs of Tirtouga and Carracosta, because, well, sea turtles mate. It combines that prehistory with a sturdy sea turtle and looks quite the thing. In fact, you could say Carracosta is an extremely hard sea turtle. I like the way they extended the turtle hands so that Tirtouga and Carracosta look bipedal, but I think they'd look more original had they been looking like the four-legged type.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    I'm gonna go with Politoed, it's really cute and happy all the time.
    If not Politoed then, I'd go for Croconaw. I really like its general aesthetics and it was the first starter I ever used.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    Years
    Most of the Pokemon I love are based off of animals. x3

I love the cats: Skitty, Glameow and Meowth
    I love the dogs: Lilipup, Growlithe and Zorua
    I love the rodents: Pikachu, Pichu, Plusle and Minun
    I love the foxes: Eevee, Vulpix and Fennekin

I'm a fennec fox! ^w^

https://onebigphoto.com/uploads/2011/12/a-little-fennec-fox.jpg

I know he resembles a fennec fox but it's never actually confirmed what animal he's based on I don't think, so that's why I still wonder. :o Though I know for sure fennekin is based off of one, because of the name. xD

Years
    I like the bear based Pokemon.
    Teddiursa is the cutest little thing I've ever seen, while Ursaring is big and powerful.
    Same with Cubchoo and Beartic. A icicle spear coming out of it's nose?! How adorable!!!!!
    And, lastly, you have Pancham looking all cool and stealthy with that leaf in it's mouth, then evolving into the cool Panda with a twig in it's mouth.

They are all so perfect. I really think GF did a great job with the bears.

I was originally gonna state Pokemon like Growlithe and Vulpix, but I thought it'd be too generic with all these posts, so I had to think outside the box!

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I feel like most of the Pokemon I like aren't based on animals so this was kinda hard. First Pokemon that came to mind though is Staryu. I love starfish and I've always loved Staryu from the moment I saw it in the anime. Starmie is awesome too especially to use, but I guess I just love the colors and the simple design a lot better on Staryu.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
    Mythological Animal: Dragons. Charizard, Gyarados, Dragonite, Kingdra, Salamence, Garchomp, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Noivern, etc.

Dragons are without a doubt my favorite animals (if you're willing to accept that). They're powerful, fearsome, mysterious; there's something that intrigues me about them.

Real Animals: Dogs, Monkeys Cats and Bears all come after Dragons. I can't decide which I like the best out of these options so I'll just go on to explain all of them.

Dogs: Arcanine, Houndoom, Mightyena, Stoutland for their strength and loyalty.

Monkeys: Infernape, Primape, Simisage for their nimbleness and cunning.

Cats: Persian, Luxray, and Pyroar for their style and grace.

Bears: Ursaring, Beartic and Pangoro for their raw power.

Last edited:
    Years
    A lot of my favorite Pokemon are based off of animals of some sorts. Butterfree (butterfly), Pyroar (lion), Empoleon (penguin), Ninetales (fox), Treecko (gecko), and Wailord (blue whale) are just a few off of the top of my head. There are probably dozens more that I forgot that are based off animals but slightly stylised based on their typing, but it always amazes me that we haven't even scratched the surface of animals to use as inspiration for Pokemon, despite how many we already have.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    My faviroute Pokemon are based of Animals such as Greninja and Samurott and Garchomp, but the only one which is also my favorite is Gengar and He is not any sort of animal. :( But I do find it funny that they make pokemon out of trees,food, or even keys like Klefki. xD

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I'll mention my top 5 favorite types of animals - all of my favorite Pokemon are in fact based on their real life animals.

1st: Overall Mustelids are my favorite types of animals! It's no wonder why I choose the name "Playful Weasel" when I had the chance to get my username changed.
    • Weasels are my favorite among the mustelids family so - Mienfoo and Mienshao fit in pefectly - also Linoone fits in too.
    • Otters are my second favorites among the Mustelids family so naturally Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Buizel, and Floatzel fit perfectly for me
    • Ferrets are third among the mustelids so Furret can't be missing.

2nd: Not sure what Latin name they gave the Mongoose/Meerkat family, they are also tied in first with Mustelids as my favorite types of animals is Watchog (its my #1 favorite)

3rd: After Mustelids and Meerkats - Felines are next as my favorites (cougars are my favorite non domestic cats - and the Abyssian is my favorite domestic breed)
    so to name a few - Meowth, Persian, Skitty, Delcatty, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Glameow, Purugly, Purrloin, Liepard, Litleo, Pyroar, Espurr, and Meowstic

4th: Recently I been liking foxes, thanks mainly to Braixen!, so I could consider them fourth in my favorites - such as Eevee (most Eeveelutions are based on partial foxes), Vulpix, Ninetales, Fennekin, Braixen, Delphox

5th: Not sure what their family is called, but after the ones I mentioned above, raccoons are next in my favorites - Zigzagoon is the main one that comes to mind there should have been more raccoon based Pokemon.

by the way it was interesting and I enjoyed reading the other responses.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    I really like Flaaffy (sheep) and Octillery (octopus), as well as Miltank (cow).

Back