• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Fifth Generation: which versions did you get?

Years
  • Which versions did you guys get out of Black & White? Black 2 & White 2? Why did you choose the versions you went with? Was it for version exclusives, the box art legendary, perhaps because it was the only copy left at your store?

Years
  • I got all four versions, but sadly my Black 2's save file corrupted so it's been hard for me to try and replay 5th Gen lately which is sad considering I love Unova and I had so much on that save, such as a fairly high-leveled Join Avenue and some Pokemon I trained up so hard.

Thankfully I have lots of Pokemon I transferred from my older games on my original Black so maybe I might go back to them one day, but I hope to get around to resetting Black 2 (that is, if I even can) or focusing on a new White 2 playthrough I'm doing.

Years
  • I only have Black, because it was a gift to me. Christmas gift, if I recall. Beyond that, I have no idea why it was chosen! Unless I was actually the one who chose it for said gift and it was a random pick, I honestly don't remember.

But yeah, nothing too much beyond that was involved in my choosing of it.

Years
  • I have all four games (and two of both sequels), but White was my main one for a while before I wiped the save in early 2014. And before then, when B2W2 released in late 2012 my main White 2 was where I kept all my stuff. It's my preferred version and where I have everything, I chose that over Black 2 (which I was originally going to claim as my main one until something came up). So there.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I hadn't had any Gen V games so last summer I started looking for them on Amazon. I didn't have much money at the time but I had about $20 from leftover allowance and I decided to just go with it, so I bought White Version.(and found a cute 99 cent Poliwhirl plush from 1999 gaaah so cute I had to buy it)
    Later on my sister bought Black so we decided to get Black 2 and White 2, but I got White 2 for my birthday. My sister still hasn't beaten Black/got Black 2 yet though.
    I had a scare the other day when my White 2 Version said my data was corrupted, but after a couple of tries resetting it the save file worked again!! I was training for the League at the time, so I still need to go there but hey at least it didn't delete!.....
    (I haven't heard of the games working again after the corrupted thing comes up, so I'm still very wary and careful with it. But I did hear that licking th gold conductors on the cart works, but yeah there's no way, I'll just use a baby wipe....)

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Of the two dragons, I much preferred Zekrom, but when my first offered to give me his practically untouched Pokemon Black version, I couldn't say no. When the sequels came out, I thought White Kyurem looked cooler, so I bought White 2. I've grown to like Reshiram, and I wound up getting a Zekrom from some wifi event, at least.

~Psychic

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Between Black and White, I went with Pokemon White because it had Reuniclus, Braviary, and Zekrom. I later bought Pokemon Black too, but sadly, I never really felt like playing that one.

When Black 2 and White 2 came out, I went with White 2. Once again because of Reuniclus.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I got White and Black 2. Because really, I can't play Gen V without Zekrom.

Years
  • I got all 4 versions, but my first one was Black, because Black 2 and White 2 weren't out yet, and there were no copies of White available.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I HAVE ALL OF THEM I EVEN HAVE TWO COPIES OF WHITE AND TWO COPIES OF BLACK 2 AND BOTH SECOND COPIES ARE JAPANESE DON'T JUDGE ME OKAY

i rly like gen v ok

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I HAVE ALL OF THEM I EVEN HAVE TWO COPIES OF WHITE AND TWO COPIES OF BLACK 2 AND BOTH SECOND COPIES ARE JAPANESE DON'T JUDGE ME OKAY

i rly like gen v ok
    Why do you have Japanese copies if you don't know how to read Japanese?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Why do you have Japanese copies if you don't know how to read Japanese?

zekrom what part of don't judge me did you not understand -bans u from 5th gen-

But anyway, I can't read Japanese, but Pokemon is such an easy game to follow that I don't really mind and have never had trouble with it. Plus impatience. This was still back when Japan got the games months before us, so yeah. I have a Japanese SoulSilver as well, for what it's worth.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Getting games that you already know in another language is a good way to learn that language. Then you can take the time to figure out what the text is saying without being really confused about what's going on in the actual game.

I have both Black and White, and got Black 2. I got both versions of the first set of games because I was so excited for this generation and wanted to explore it several times over. With B2/W2, I wasn't as excited for those games, so I got Black 2 because I like Black Kyurem better.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Hope Thrift ( a place I volunteer at) had Black and so I bought it. normally they only have EA sports games for the Xbox and Playstaion 2, so to see they had a Pokemon game I glad I bought it
    The center has a copy preowned from Game Stop. I want to get Black 2 for myself

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    i got white and white 2. i chose them because i liked the exclusives better and white forest seemed more interesting to me.

Years
  • Version exclusive pokemon influence which versions I purchase first.

Lilligant and Whimiscott are tradeable.

Pokemon Black Wins
    Black v. White
    Reshiram > Zekrom
    Mandibuzz > Braviary
    Gothitelle = Reuniclus

Pokemon Black 2 also has Garchomp and Lopunny as exclusives!

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • When I first learned about the games, I wanted to get Pokemon White so I gotten that because of pokemon like Reuniclus and Lilligant! But yeah it didn't matter cause Petili and Cottenee were both obtainable from an in-game trade, so no matter. Still though, Reshiram was amazing, so was Braviary and Iris!

But still, on the sequel, I wanted to try out Black and it's exclusives, so, I bought Pokemon Black 2 as opposed to White 2, to try out Gothitelle and Mandibuzz, but there was so much of a great variety of pokemon like Growlithe and Trapinch so I couldn't say no. ;___;

mcminer2011

Leader of Team Amethyst
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2015
    I just Picked Pokemon white since my close friend has it and I saw that there was a Zebra pokemon in it. (I'm a fan of Equines) So I got it and caught a bunch of blitzle. problem though is that I sold it to my game shop since I found Gen 5 a little boring for a Pokemon game.(That's gonna get me some hate.

Back