• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FireRed] Animation Scripting Problem

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I used information from this thread:
    and an animation creator tool:
    to make a custom animation.

(to be more specific, I used the animation creator to put the animations together, then moved things around in the script in HexManiacAdvance to get the visuals that I wanted)

The animation works for the most part. (I assigned it to Tackle for testing)

While it appears to be fine and does not crash at any point during the animation, for some reason it causes the game to lock up like this if a party Pokémon would level up:
    broken level-up.png

(I am using an EXP. All patch, hence the non-participant Rattata)

I am not sure what is causing this issue, as I do not notice anything particularly wrong with the animation itself. I did try another animation that I created (but did not edit the script of) to make sure it wasn't something else causing the issue, but the animation was fine and Rattata could safely grow to level 3 without breaking the game.

Here the animation is in script form according to HexManiacAdvance:
    Spoiler: Spoiler

Spoiler: and the raw bytes that I get from this in HMA:

(I'm not sure I want to use the Whirlpool particles, but I'm not sure how I can replace these to look more like the Twister particles)

There were some other things I wanted to do involving moves, but I will wait to ask about that until I can make sure there are no issues with the animations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: As it turns out, merely removing the line

Spoiler:

appears to fix the issue, but I don't have any idea of why this might be

...does anyone know?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Whenever a monster is moved into the "background" (either you or the enemy) the monsters have to be moved back before the animation ends, otherwise the game will not progress after the animation and you'll get stuck

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Whenever a monster is moved into the "background" (either you or the enemy) the monsters have to be moved back before the animation ends, otherwise the game will not progress after the animation and you'll get stuck
    I see.

Is the reason the animation worked at all because it was not a double battle?

I'll have to watch out for overuse of monbg in any case.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I see.

Is the reason the animation worked at all because it was not a double battle?

I'll have to watch out for overuse of monbg in any case.

Double battles don't have anything to do with it. Moving monsters to the background is done when you want the "attack animation particle" like the bone in bonemerang to appear in front of the sprite instead of behind it. It's perfectly fine to use, just gotta remember to move the monster(s) back

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Oh, I see. I wasn't entirely sure what HMA actually meant by anim_def_partner

Once I've done the animations, I wanted to do move effects...

Is it possible to make a move that uses the lower of the target's defences for damage calculation?

Spoiler:

(though I'll have to see how HMA handles move effects in order to try adding new ones)

Back