• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Time One Of Your Pokemon Disobeys

Shukawariosenpai

Pokemon Breeder/Completionist
Years
  • So this has never happened to me yet. I'm getting quite aggressive with my training even though I only have 1 badge. All of the pokemon in my team are passed the Lv. 20 point of "Guaranteed Obedience" after I received my first badge. I've never traded pokemon, and I know this is much more common in trades. What was the first time you had a pokemon refuse to obey you in battle? What was your reaction?

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    My first experience with this happened with my Luxray. Luxray was on of my best Pokemon in Pearl. After beating the game, I used an action replay to get rare candies to level up Luxray to lv.100 and to by the super expensive ribbons for it. Later, i traded it over to Platinum and I didn't pay attention/know about pokemon not listening to you if you didn't have the right amount of badges. It crushed my heart, because I thought that Luxray hated me for using cheats / the game realized I had cheated and was punishing me (I was younger, and thought that way at the time. Games were more real than coded information to me.)
    I've never really used Luxray again and I've lost a certain connection towards it. I still transferred it over to Alpha Sapphire and hope to use it more in the future, after all, Luxray was my best and favorite Pokemon back in Pearl.

Tapan681

RiverDream
    Years
  • It happened to me in my first Pokemon game i.e Pokemon FireRed
    My Wartortle (lvl 33) disobeyed me at the St Anne
    Well, I certainly was afraid but later got the idea.

pkmin3033

This hasn't happened to me since the first time I played Red...I couldn't beat Erika, so a friend lend me his Flareon. Didn't do me much good, because the stupid thing wouldn't obey me and I lost again. I wasn't particularly happy about that.

I've often chosen to start the game with all three starters, so the two I've traded over I just haven't trained past the maximum level until I've gotten the necessary badge; it becomes less of a hindrance the further I get through the game. This aspect of the game rarely factors into my playthrough, though.

Years
  • I've had a Pokemon disobey before when I traded the other Sinnoh starters over in one of my previous never-got-completed Pearl playthroughs. Since then, I usually never trade a Pokemon over until I have obtained all the Gym Badges.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I can't remember that something like that happened to me,
    but nevermind, I'd put the pokemon in a box and use others,
    after badge recieving, would take it out and use.

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
  • The first time was pokemon Blue when my cousin and I traded pokemon and the mankey wouldn't listen to me and I was confused and then read the guide and was like, Oh Ok. But it happens alot in pokemon X because the gyms are spread out in the first part of the game and I am like seriously by the 3rd town (fossil cave) they should of had the gym at that location!

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Never happened to me, that's more because I have no friends to trade with though.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • First time it happened to me was in Pokemon Pearl. My friend lent it to me so I could capture Palkia and send it to my Diamond game. As I wasn't interested in playing through the story line for the third time, I sent over a level 50 Gyrados from Diamond. Yeah I was lucky if I ever finished a gym in only a few turns...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh right, it only happens with traded pokémon? Because I never traded and never noticed any disobedience despite overleveling heavily haha.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • This only happened to me the one time I tried playing through the game with some Pokes from my Pokemon bank. I've never had to deal with the whole disobedience thing, so I totally forgot about it and it caught me off guard. I have to say, it's annoying as heck. Especially when they fall asleep x.x

Years
  • This happened to me in Ruby when I traded away a Mudkip for a level 70 Sharpedo. I've mentioned this before, but in my first playthrough of Pokemon I was often too scared to challenge any trainer that I've never faced before, especially in a new route or city. Sharpedo helped me overcome that despite obeying only about 1 out of every 8 commands. It OHKOed everything until I got the 7th gym badge from Mossdeep.

Disobedience has not happened since then. Now I don't usually trade Pokemon with people in a new game until the main story is finished and all 8th badges are won.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    One of my favorite Pokemon is Scrafty. So I thought it would be a great idea to solo Y with it. I ended up being so overleveled, I tried hard to rush the first 3 gyms. Eventually, I got too far ahead and just had to cancel the run. I was pretty disappointed.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I remember that happening and getting so mad about it. I didn't trade Pokémon a whole ton so it wasn't a major issue, but it was a pain in the butt when it did.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It happened to me the very first time in Gen I games, I seriously freaked out when my starters didn't listen to my command. {XD} I had to keep them underleveled just to have them obey me in battles! :(

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • Happens to me quite often because I tend to breed my faves (especially Magikarp) to use as a starter on my reruns. Because I always reserve the number 1 slot for Magikarp (to level it to Gyarados), by the time I can start using Gyarados it is almost always over-levelled. Thankfully it can usually tank hits and still come through despite the disobedience. But ever since XY introduced Pokemon Amie, the 5 heart Amie bonus sort of balanced out the disobedience, so I'm not having it occur that often now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The first time a Pokémon had disobeyed me was in Emerald, when I'd started a new save file and got a friend to lend me a Gyarados immediately. It caught me off-guard when it began disobeying and whatnot, but I've eventually managed to learn why--for beginning of the game, the Pokémon was too powerful.

Back