• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forest Grovyle's Latest Works (NEW: 17/10/07 Oekaki Realism Tutorial!)

Nagori

Hiiii~ <3
    Years
    Forest Grovyle everything you do is awesome @.@ I looked at those two realism pictures you last posted and I'm like OMG D:. I'm officially pwned.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    Wtf do you mean

nowhere near my best though and I can do better now...
    ????

That is an AMAZING drawing. I wish I could draw that awesomely. =/

Yoshistar64

Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!
    Years
    I totally agree with Killer-Swift. What do you mean? That drawing was amazing, you probably thought it was bad because it didn't have color.

About the realisms: HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE TO DRAW!?! YOU REMIND ME OF A FAMOUS PAINTER!! I CANNOT SAY ANOTHER WORD ABOUT THEM!!

One more thing, I don't watch Friends, but looking at the picture made me think about the commercials of it. It was too real to be true. Good job, keep 'em coming.

Years
    Hey, I'm interested in how you do the Pokemon in the new style...can you explain the process to me? (please don't tell me it involves a stylus of any sort. ><) All I know how to do is soft-shading with the paintbrush on Photoshop. I've tried other tools, but it always comes out crap.

~Chibi~

Edit: Eh, I looked at the old pics too...how'd you do the shading there...? And the outlines, I forgot to ask about those too. ^^;

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
    This is really hard to explain ^^; It would take ages XD The best advice I can give is to look at my Sugimori art tutorial. The lineart is done the same way in all my recent Pokémon pictures :)
    As for the shading, I just use the most "solid" setting of the Photoshop brushes. It's simple cel-shading and doesn't require any softness to the brush.

--FG

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years

THese two are great, and so are the others, but these two are my faves, well, because they are going to be my Fire type and electric type for the game, and they both look awesome, keep up the great work ^^.

Years
    This is really hard to explain ^^; It would take ages XD The best advice I can give is to look at my Sugimori art tutorial. The lineart is done the same way in all my recent Pokémon pictures
    I just read the tutorial. I didn't know that the paintbrush had a line option...maybe I don't need Illustrator anymore for outlining my pics. But I'll never be able to do the sketch right in Photoshop. I have no dexterity with wither the mouse or a tablet.

But as for the sading, I'm a bit puzzled. Your description seemed pretty much the same as what I do. oO But my arts look absolutely nothing like Sugimori style, see?

*Rereads tutorial* Hmm...is the shading done on the lineart layer itself? On top of the normal color layer? Actually, in the example, it looks like you did the shadow color first, then added, the lighter color and the
    highlights second. =S Although I noticed the smudge tool is used...I didn;t notice that before. I've tried the smudge tool, but I always just ended up with overly soft-shaded pieced, with barely discernable shadows.

Eh, never mind my rambling... xP I give up.
    As for the shading, I just use the most "solid" setting of the Photoshop brushes. It's simple cel-shading and doesn't require any softness to the brush.
    I see... I think I can count that out, then, cause I've tried full hardness on the brush, and my lines come out all squiggly and ridiculous looking. =P

~Chibi~

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
    The shading is on the colour layer (or you can make a separate layer for it, it doesn't matter). It's not on the lineart layer. And I do start by shading the dark areas, then move onto the highlights.

I hardly ever use the smudge tool - sometimes it's not needed :) I just use it for where I need to make the transition from one colour to another "jagged" in its edges.

--FG

mistywishmaker

such a thing as f o r e v e r
    Years
    HOLY-

Wow. I'm amazed. I thought those Friends realisms were photos. Fooled me pretty bad. <33 How can you make such thin lines like that? I'm speechless and awed. <3333

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    No way.... O_o; That just looks... astonishing!

...XD I so ran out of words ever since ages ago when I first started visiting this thread. It just looks so real! XD HOw is it even possible?! =P

Anyways keep up the good work, but most of all, I hope you get your mood better, too. :3 I want to see FG-sha cheer up for wakawaka. 8D

Regi DS

I'm always sleepy (zzz...)
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2007
    I want your realism talent. =(

I can draw (somewhat) a variety of styles in lead pencil, but you're a god at making realism in oekaki... I can't do good oekakis even if my life depended on it. I hate using photoshop and being able to only use a mouse! Anyways, keep up the awesome work.

Years
    Thanks :) I use a mouse too ;) It's not that hard IMO, but that may just be me XD It just takes a lot of time and practise. My early realism efforts were pretty poor, and I'm really pleased with how I have progressed.

--FG
    you should be pleased with how much you've improved! :D and your SROA pics are awesome too ^^ and a mouse?!? oh my goodness thats amazing skills to have for a mouse artist! :t253: i use a tablet.

Blaziken626

Pokemon Black Shadow
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    This comment's just a little bit late (sarcasm), but.....WOW!!!! Your Sugimori artwork looks so official! It's just astonishing! You make me so jealous! I wish I could do great computer drawings. I'm just really good at pencil drawings.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Yay, more FG stuff! nice Floatzel! ^_^ For some reason, whenever u draw the Pokes, they look less ugly! xD especially Floatzel, among others...

o_0 how long has ur sig been, like, without all those other words and stuff?

Back