• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gamblin' away in Mauville!

Abby

#freecoffee
Years
  • Now, I know that gambling isn't suitable for the younger players of pokemon, but what do you think will happen to the gambling house in mauville? Will they do voltorb flip like in heartgold and soulsilver? Will they cut out the building? Will they do something different?

Personally, I would love to see a return of voltorb flip, I spent so many hours perfecting the game in hgss.

Garrabutártulo

A wild Garrabutártulo appears!
    Years
  • I don't care if they keep the gambling thing or bring voltorb flip, all I want is that they allow us to buy tokens. I just want the prices, don't want to spend hours gambling to buy a TM when I usually have a lot of extra money.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • My guess is that they're going to create something new and more game-like than straight-up gambling. Not Voltorb Flip because that'd seem cheap to just bring it from another game, but something in a similar vein to it.

Years
  • As much as people loved Mauville's Game Corner, I seriously doubt it'll return. Europe's anti-gambling legislation (passed around the time Platinum was in development) is pretty much to blame here, leading to the point of not only changing the non-Japanese HG/SS to have Voltorb Flip (I hated that game) instead of slot machines, and then starting from 5th Gen completely removing it altogether.

People have been speculating if that played a part in Mauville's drastic new design, but we may never know. If the Game Corner is confirmed not to return, I hope they can find a new place to obtain those TMs that were given there in the originals.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    I think due to the legislation it will in fact be cut.
    As for the moves the original game corner had..
    Maybe they can be transferred into some kind of Tutor moves? (Considering the Battle frontier may return)

Years
  • I think due to the legislation it will in fact be cut.
    As for the moves the original game corner had..
    Maybe they can be transferred into some kind of Tutor moves? (Considering the Battle frontier may return)

For your information there are 5 TMs that were obtained in the Game Corner in the originals: Double Team, Psychic, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. They have been TMs in pretty much every generation so I doubt they'll be tutor moves.

If the Game Corner is a no-show I think they'll likely be obtained somewhere else, and also remember that TMs are reusable now so it's a huge difference compared to the original games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    For your information there are 5 TMs that were obtained in the Game Corner in the originals: Double Team, Psychic, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. They have been TMs in pretty much every generation so I doubt they'll be tutor moves.

If the Game Corner is a no-show I think they'll likely be obtained somewhere else, and also remember that TMs are reusable now so it's a huge difference compared to the original games.

Oh, right, thanks for informing me. They'll maybe be given out by people in random houses or at shops in pokecenters/Lilicove department store (Hoping that returns, at least)

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    I want Voltorb Flip back... I know that it wasn't apart of the original games, and was brought in, in hg and ss, but imo, the best game corner game of the series :P

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
    Years
  • I hope that that the Slots return somehow. I just would like to be able to buy rare Pokémon again! (Include Bagon and I'm sold!) But, I wouldn't mind if Voltorb Flip was still there. As long as I can buy Pokémon from the Game Corner, then I'll be happy!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It's odds on to be cut, or replaced (ala Voltorb Flip).

It's not just legal issues in Europe (which affected Platinum's slot machines), but also rating issues by the ESRB (e.g. in America). Having slot machines = having gambling (betting as a featured minigame), which would have bumped up the game rating. So they decided to replace it with Voltorb Flip outside of Japan (which doesn't involve any gambling; you cannot lose coins, only win them).

After that, they decided to just cut the Game Corner from all versions of the games, including the Japanese versions. So everyone loses! It'll be interesting what happens with ORAS, but I bet it'll be changed at best, and as it's releasing in many countries on the same date this time around, not even Japan can gamble. But we shall see.

I hope for a new replacement game, because something is better than nothing.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think it's really interesting how gambling would increase the rating of a children's game, because it's not like it's encouraging any real world gambling, not that the kids could do it anyway? I think I'm just a bit confused. I think that the Game Corner will probably still exist, but the "games" inside will just be replaced by something else that isn't considered gambling.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Mauville City has Wattson. Wattson uses Voltorb. VOLTORB FLIP CONFURMED!1

But seriously, I loooooved Voltorb Flip in HGSS! I played it for so many hours. Unlike slots, which... just bored me to death as I tried to save up for hours for a one-use TM. (I learned to just skip the slots and straight-up buy all 10,000 coins as that was faster to raise money for.)

I don't expect slots to come back, because... we haven't had them since DPPt, with heavy censoring? And Pokemon games have become a lot more international-in-mind since. No reason to try any harder to come up with an idea than Voltorb Flip, as the Game Corner has never really been a big deal.

Last edited:

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I don't really care if it's gone but I don't think it should of been removed due to the fact of nintendo favoring children. Pokemon gambling has been around since the first games...

Back