• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Game Development Daily Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Here's a workflow question for folks - how much do you think you usually get done in a sitting? Every once in a while all my dev time gets sucked up into a single task like working with famitracker, but generally speaking, I feel like I can usually churn out a single complete outdoor map or an entire areas indoor maps in a typical dev session.

I usually try to finish implementing what I want to implement, and sometimes, that might take a few days before things even start to work. Speaking of which, I've added a text loader for when it needs to get text not too long ago. Now to implement NPC scripting and dialogue invocation...

WriterRaven

I Illustrate Through Words
    Years
  • Here's a workflow question for folks - how much do you think you usually get done in a sitting? Every once in a while all my dev time gets sucked up into a single task like working with famitracker, but generally speaking, I feel like I can usually churn out a single complete outdoor map or an entire areas indoor maps in a typical dev session.

As I'm currently working on the maps for my project - or I should be - I'll usually spend one session getting one map done to match my standards, whether interior or exterior. A lot of my time is spent looking through the tilesets I'm using, though, to see if I need to grab something from another tileset or recolour something. So I usually have RMXP and GIMP open at the same time.

(I'm using FL's extended tilesets, and have added quite a bit to them to get what I want for a particular map or set thereof.)

I'm not sure how long I'll take to write events and such, though. I'll have to test for that... after all the map work is done.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    I have a question about Fan Made games. This has happened a few times and it just happened now. When playing the game and I go to name a Pokemon or just try to type out a name for my character there is a spam of letters that appears. I try to backspace they just keep appearing not allow me to type in the name I want to. It doesn't happen all of the time but it does get annoying. I'm not sure where to post this or what may be going on to cause it. If anyone could give me an answer that would be great.

Years
  • Some days, I think of all I have to do and my own inability and I get overwhelmed. On others, I get excited when I think about what my finished game would look like.

Today is one of the overwhelming days.

Years
  • ^the comment above this one sounds so like me >.< Either way since this thing is not closed yet. I would like to ask a question to the people if you were to choose a Pokemon starter can be any Pokemon which one will you pick? The Pokemon cannot be something like a pseudo-legendary but something in the middle like Elekid I would say.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • ^the comment above this one sounds so like me >.< Either way since this thing is not closed yet. I would like to ask a question to the people if you were to choose a Pokemon starter can be any Pokemon which one will you pick? The Pokemon cannot be something like a pseudo-legendary but something in the middle like Elekid I would say.

So... it can be any Pokemon, but not any Pokemon, since we're excluding pseudo-legendaries?

Snorlax.

WriterRaven

Years
  • I would like to ask a question to the people if you were to choose a Pokemon starter can be any Pokemon which one will you pick? The Pokemon cannot be something like a pseudo-legendary but something in the middle like Elekid I would say.

You're going to get a lot of different responses with a vague, open question like that. I think you need to refine the question, impose restrictions in the same style as the main series:
    • First in a three-stage evolutionary line
    • Can reach its third form without the need for items or trading
    • Has strengths and weaknesses that can be used to create a cycle of three differing options (what's wrong with the traditional Grass, Fire, and Water?)

Alternatively, make the decision based on your personal preferences rather than crowdfund the answers. Ask yourself the same question: if you had to pick three options that matched the above criteria, which would they be?

I won't give you all the answers I can think of, just some suggestions. What you do with them is up to you.

Years
  • Since I was talking about a starter I will those 2 first bullet points • First in a three-stage evolutionary line
    • Can reach its third form without the need for items or trading
    doesn't have to have strengths and weaknesses since I'm just asking for one if everybody gives 3 it will be like confusing.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2016
    Pokemon Galaxy Fan Game

Hello

Me and my brothers are planning to create a pokemon game. We will be using Pokémon Esssentials and RPG Maker
    We would love to here some ideas and tips on our game creation.
    We have already planned for 2(maybe 3) regions and we will be giving some needed pokemon evolutions.
    The regions will mainly be islands for a unique experience.
    We love all of your ideas and if you can, donate some sprites for maybe trainers or new pokemon evoutions. But we don't need already made sprites that come with pokemon essentials. If you would like to donate sprites, please send them to the email below.
    [email protected]
    Thank you and have a nice day.​

Last edited:
    Years
  • I see my old OWs are still in circulation somewhat. I'm wondering how many people actually still use FR/LG styled graphics rather than D/P/Pt and beyond?
    I had some spare time, so I played around with the notion of updating my OWs. I'm curious how much, if any at all, interest there is in FR/LG graphics still.

Ol9NzyJ.png

New -> Old

Last edited:

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • I see my old OWs are still in circulation somewhat. I'm wondering how many people actually still use FR/LG styled graphics rather than D/P/Pt and beyond?
    I had some spare time, so I played around with the notion of updating my OWs. I'm curious how much, if any at all, interest there is in FR/LG graphics still.

I use the FR/LG graphics. My initial goal when starting my project was to make a good game with the default resources. You know, show that you don't need a bunch of fancy graphics to have a good game. But that's kinda falling apart at this point.

Years
  • How come? Lack of interest, or because you want to make/use custom graphics?

And if there's no interest I guess I'll just make it for myself.

Years

Ol9NzyJ.png

New -> Old

I'd be interested in updated OWs, I've considered working on a project with FRLG graphics before and the ones you've posted are nice

Years
  • Here's a few more, including one which is not technically an official character, but a character from an old game project in GD. It's what I imagine I would sprite it like if I were do it today.

bhTYOId.png

I'd be interested in updated OWs, I've considered working on a project with FRLG graphics before and the ones you've posted are nice
    I see a few FR/LG styled projects, but it seems to be a bit of a dying breed. It's a shame because I'm not a big fan of the bulky D/P/Pt overworld sprites.

Last edited:

WriterRaven

Years

I use the FR/LG graphics, partly in thanks to FL's Extended Tilesets. Mostly because I find them super easy to edit and rearrange as needed, but also because it'd be so much more work to source everything for a project that looks a bit newer. I like what I use, and I think I make it work with my designs. =)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Slight update. Here's what the (currently) finished OWs look like compared to the old versions,
    X6zMZEW.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    Need help finding an old game

Not sure I am posting this in the right section, but I'm sure you guys will be able to help me with something. I remember playing one of the best poke games in my opinion, from this website. A dude named Hall of Famer made a game named Pokemon : Hall of Fame. And it just blew me with its awesomeness. Now I've grown up but I found that thread and his website and everything but I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet a download link for that game, I'm aware the project was long ago abandoned, but I try to believe at least someone has the files, since this is my favorite poke game, and I would LOVE to be able to play it again. I already tried to contact Hall of Famer but no luck, so I'm counting on this amazing community for someone who can send me the game files. Thank you in advance, and sorry again if this section is not for these kind of requests. :D

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • unfortunately i cannot help you but i hope someone else can soon enough :)

p.s. just to let you know
    this section is not for pokemon related questions or anything else really
    it is just for forum stuff ;)
    any future questions about pokemon or the games, go have a look in the pokemon boards, such as gaming central

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back