• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Games

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    So I am playing Pokemon Leafgreen on a gba emulator on my phone. And I got a pdf of the official guide. And I haven't started the game. And I'm doing the "complete the game by the official guide" trend. But I got a question. For the official guide for that game, what would they pick for the starter Pokemon? Leave ur theories in the comments so I can read them. Thx!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    None of them? Must be able to cover players picking any of the three starters, or maybe even flipping to any random problem location. Probably recommends nearby Pokemon if you are having trouble, rather than permanent party Pokemon. Expects something like this for the first Gym:

"Faces Brock's Rock-type Pokemon in the first gym. Deals strong damage against them with Water or Grass types. Also consider Pokemon like Mankey, a Fighting type Pokemon, for good damage via its Fighting-type moves. Look for one on Route 22, west of Viridian City."

(Would not mention Steel, Ground, or Ice. Likely cannot get any moves of those types. Why overload the player with information they cannot act on?)

Years
  • Generally speaking, Bulbasaur and Squirtle were recommended in contemporary guides back in the day. Bulbasaur was considered "easy mode" because it's either super effective or resistant to the first four gyms.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    (Would not mention Steel, Ground, or Ice. Likely cannot get any moves of those types. Why overload the player with information they cannot act on?)
    Charmander actually learns metal claw at level 13, so thats an alternative against brock, plus i really dont see why not mention the types that are super effective againt rock, even though the player might not use it at this point, its good for someone whos a newcomer at pokemon to understand how types work.
    for the question: i think there should be one route for each starter, even though bulbasaur is considerated the easy choice.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Charmander actually learns metal claw at level 13, so thats an alternative against brock, plus i really dont see why not mention the types that are super effective againt rock, even though the player might not use it at this point, its good for someone whos a newcomer at pokemon to understand how types work.

Ah, then mention Charmander too (along with being weak to Rock).

Views a guide as less of a teaching tool and more of a problem-solving tool. Turns to a guide for specific roadblocks. Tends to confuse people by listing too much information, especially when not relevant.

Would bring up the type chart at Brock under a teaching approach. (Likely alluded to it earlier than that.) Marks a good point to demonstrate how to read it.

Back