• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaming Elistism?

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Well sweeties, as the topic says, gaming elitism. How do you feel about gaming elitists? Do you consider yourself as one? By gaming elitist, I mean people who feel entitled that their opinion weighs more or is more valid for they are into more games or a certain game series longer. Furthermore they have a tendency to look down on people who haven't achieve such status.

I for one try NOT to act like one, however honestly I do have this Nintendo Elitist mentality since I started playing games since the NES, and have stayed with Nintendo ever since. As well as being really into depth with Nintendo games, history, memorabilia, programming, and research, reverse engineering and documentation over hardware and games.

I have a bad tendency to disregard opinions regarding Nintendo if they first console was disc based. I also feel my opinion worth more than theirs since I played more franchises than they have games.

I also have a bad tendency to look down on people who play the latest game for it's popular and don't take the time to play the prequels or even know who the characters or the over game series is about. I believe that they shouldn't be playing games to begin with if they don't appreciate the game series.

Also barely anybody is really a "hardcore gamer" in my eyes. I see hardcore gamer to me is pretty much a person who has in depth knowledge of games and has dedicated time just to play games. I see people this generation as a casual gamer or a trendy gamer. A casual gamer just plays games, but don't go super deep into it. And a trendy gamer is what a "hardcore gamer" is, and just plays what everybody else is playing. And those two aren't mutually exclusive.

td;lr: I AM A NINTENDO OTAKU YOUR OPINION IS INVALID!

But yeah, that's my gaming views in a nutshell.

So back to the main point, how do you feel about gaming elitist and do you consider yourself one?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    That depends on whether I'm actually playing game or not currently playing a game.

Outside of video games I avoid it, though I will mock casuals and Mac gamers when they start having delusions of grandeur occasionally though.

Inside video games, when there's competition going on, I will shamelessly practice elitism. (I tend to go just easy enough so that I can still beat people. It humiliates them without words, and I find the challenge of taking it easy somewhat thrilling. ;D) I also tend to be somewhat vocal about it if provoked.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    We play games to have fun. I don't care who you are or what you're playing. If you're playing a game and enjoying it, then mission accomplished.

If what others do for fun bugs you, get off your high horse.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I'm a Call of Duty elitist. "If you disagree with me then you don't know what you're talking about.", that's basically how I am when it comes to CoD. I think being an elitist is a bad thing, but at the same time I do know my stuff, and I've put months and months of playtime into the series. So I'm not too happy when someone who just got the game tries to tell me I'm wrong on something.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    I am definetly not a gaming elitist and I get annoyed at people who act like one. Games are played for fun and to pass some of our free time. These "elitists" speak derogatively to others who play games for fun and don't take it too seriously. Sure there are some of these "elitists" can be nice and fun to play with even when they are so good but a lot of them can just make a beginner or less skiled player make them feel bad about themselves and this means they are not having fun, which is the point of playing games

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I'm a Call of Duty elitist. "If you disagree with me then you don't know what you're talking about.", that's basically how I am when it comes to CoD. I think being an elitist is a bad thing, but at the same time I do know my stuff, and I've put months and months of playtime into the series. So I'm not too happy when someone who just got the game tries to tell me I'm wrong on something.

Lightweight / Marathon / Commando in MW2 is totally superior to using bullets in any way, shape or form. Also, I'MMA GONNA STEAL UR KILLZ LOL. *runs*

I think elitism is okay in small amounts. For example, I'm pretty average when it comes to playing games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc, and I play to have fun. But still, some people play the game in a way that they consider "fun" ie. doing things they know the community frowns upon to get their shits and giggles, which makes games a whole lot less fun for everyone else. Sometimes its understandable when people get mad for stuff that happens.

Years
    In most cases, no. There is, however, an exception. Console gamers. As far as I am concerned, many genres (especially shooters) are simply better in every way on the PC. I'm not naive enough to say that the same applies for platformers or racing games, though. That's a matter of preference.

In terms of individual games, no.

Years
    Lightweight / Marathon / Commando in MW2 is totally superior to using bullets in any way, shape or form. Also, I'MMA GONNA STEAL UR KILLZ LOL. *runs*

Get out now!

Depends on the game really. It is very annoying to come across some muppets in FPS's, mainly COD, who think they invented the game, but I normally ignore them as best as I can.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    I really hate to say this, but sometimes...I am. Its due to the fact that nobody in my class/region knows how to play O_O

All what they play are games that are famous on the tongues of people....which is actually lame because most of these games are not what deserve your time, there are other games with more depth and better concept.

For an instance, I truly dislike CoD, I know, I shouldn't jump into conclusions, but the things is, where I reside, people are just addicted to that thing with no good purpose. I side with BF3, Simply because of the amazing concept, however, people disagree and claim CoD is better...and they have no way to debate against me....I got the odds in proofs but they keep ignoring to avoid loss <_< (I am talking about people at my area, and I do not mean that CoD is bad, but I mean i t is Over-rated)

Know, I act as an Elitist is with Pokemon....Not here in the community but to my friends, since they really think that Pokemon is a simple 2D game with no depth. At those moments, I put on my Elitist glasses and start lecturing them and downgrading them because they don't appreciate and they don't kn ow how to play this game.

Other than that I totally avoid it, but sometimes, I just do it purposely to joke around with my friends :P And I never give up my position, I always force people to like what I like and teach them more of how to play games WELL. (Again, I am talking about people in my region <_< )

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    When I played more games, I probably exhibited many tendencies of a gaming elitist, as described by Jeremy. I'd look down on people if they didn't like the games I liked, I'd look down on them if I beat them in a multiplayer game, I'd look down on them if they didn't know the latest, just-breaking news when I did... I guess in many ways I was a horrible person in that regard. Now that I don't play as many games as I once did, I think (and hope) that I've mellowed out a little bit. Nowadays, I don't really care what people play: there's so much variety that there's undoubtedly a game for everyone. If anything elitists now annoy me, as I certainly don't pay that much attention to gaming news anymore, and would definitely be able to be defeated in pretty much every game I own.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    I'm a gaming elitist on only two video game series. First is Legend of Zelda. The other is Bioshock.

When people disrespect the games, I find myself wanting to slap them. Both are known for their amazing stories, and when people say stuff like "God of War is better than LoZ" or "Bioshock? Pssh... I gots me some CoD" I want to slap them and show them that the the others are better. Now, when I watch someone play those games, I usually cringe, because I think they're doing most, if not everything, wrong. Examples!

"NO! Hit it with your sword! DAMMIT!"

" *Big Daddy Elite Bouncer groans* Oh crap. Grab the money and get away! You don't have- *fools charges Big Daddy anyways and gets killed in one hit* FREAKIN' BAKA!"

So yeah, I'm an elitist, but only on those games. Stuff like Mario and Super Smash Bros? Have a ball! :)

Wansen

Regal Bryant
    Years
    I am in no way a gaming elitist. In Jeremey's standards I am a casual gamer.

I actually avoid multiplayer games like a plague because of elitists and I am really bad at most multiplayer games (probably because I never play it for long because people scare me off). I know that sounds bad but I just play games to relax and have a good time in a diffrent (yet fake) universe.

I would only play it with close friends and those tend to be games like Brawl, Soul Calibur etc. Because I know when they bag me it's all in good humor.
    I have seen my friends play online multiplayer games and have, I suppose seen/heard an elitist attitude from them while playing online. I just don't think I could get used to people being so...derogative and rude to me just because I havn't played the game for months and am not pro. I'm probably just sensitive to it because I just want to have fun with my free time. Not be verbally abused and then feel really unsatisfied and just not wanting to play the game ever again, after playing, which leads to me not being pro. NICE.

Other than that I like talking to/learning from gaming elitists about franchises and game series because I genuienly would like to get to know the series but I get pissed if they treat me like an idiot just because I don't know a certain thing or just me asking a question and them laughing at me in this horrible way. I'm probably just amazingly touchy but I am a human being with confidence issues.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I really dislike gaming elitists. I work in a game store so they come in there, and I know some irl too... they just annoy me. I feel like saying to them "Yes, you probably do know more than me about games, doesn't make you any better than me at all. In fact, it probably makes you quite sad".

Playing something for longer than someone else doesn't make you better. Someone said to me once "Well I like Pokémon more than you, I got my game in 1998... you didn't get yours until 1999"... well I am fricking sorry that it wasn't released here until 1999, that obviously means you're better ¬_¬ same thing annoys me with music... like "I've listened to this band longer so I'm better"... uhh no. But that's off topic.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    I'm not competitive at all when it comes to gaming. I play solo most of the time, so I don't have to deal with competition. So no, I'm not elitist. I may brag sometimes but I don't trash talk, play online, etc...

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    For me, elitism is something described as "these people are better than you, so you should mimic them". I usually use the example of Smogon, a rivaling Pokemon site and I've seen people who say that because of the trading way there, that everyone should comply with their sorts of rules when it comes to hacked Pokemon. Like, if you don't do it this way, then it's not right. That's just an example to as how I would describe elitism.

I wouldn't consider myself a gaming elitist personally. I mean, back in school and all my friends would talk about Pokemon, if they had a question they would ask me about it because they would know that I know about it. I don't know if you would consider that elitism but I would consider it being a knowledge guru. I think elitism is more about the way you act about it. Stating everything you know about gaming as fact and that you're better than everyone else, or that everything should be done in a certain way would be considered elitism in my book, whereas not being too concerned about it, but telling people if they ask isn't.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2013
    "hardcore gamer" as it's been defined in the current 7th generation emerged purely in response to the success of the Wii with non-traditional markets, and frankly its been perverted into a way to discredit or dismiss Nintendo's success with the Wii in my opinion.

As mentioned before, "hardcore gamer" used to be reserved for the most passionate, dedicated gamers who were knowledgeable about games and systems in general, even those the don't personally like or play.

Now all you have to do to be considered "hardcore" is own an Xbox or Playstation system and hate Nintendo.

And I say this not just as a Nintendo fan, but as a fan if the PS1, PS2, and PSP, and a Xbox and Xbox 360 owner.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
    "Elite Gamers" annoy the hell out of me. And this is coming from someone who used to spend 60+ hours a week on COD dealing with amatuers that couldn't shoot with a big red freaking target in front of them. I think that once you start thinking of yourself as an elite, you start missing out on the more fun parts of the game. You're only focused on the number of kills you can get, or who gets the highest score, etc. I'm pretty much just a casual/semi-pro gamer now. I play for fun mostly now, and I've started getting back into the old retro games like LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, POKEMON!!!, Banjo Kazooie, stuff like that. I think that the gaming market is leaning away more from the really fun games where you can actually have fun with them for a long time and is starting to lean more towards the multiplayer market. But back on topic, I just don't like people that consider themselves as the "Elites" of a game. It implies that they know everything there is to know about the game and that anything you say doesn't matter because they know better. Now if you actually do know everything about the game then that's awesome, but going around and showing it off just makes you sound like an ass.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I play for fun mostly now, and I've started getting back into the old retro games like LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, POKEMON!!!, Banjo Kazooie, stuff like that.
    Awesome games. Retro, yes. Old? I hope not :X I started on the NES, I think that's old.

But yeah, they don't make them like that anymore

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Depends how you're playing it. If I'm playing on XBL then I expect people to be at least decent, and it annoys when a few rookies ruin the game for everyone. If you're just playing for fun then get on TDM, stay away from tactical uh. I don't think that's being elitist personally, but call it what you want.

If it's split screen or just friends in a party then if someone starts getting all elitist I'll tell them to stfu.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I'm the sort of person that makes elitists cry themselves to sleep, and even then, they are plagued by horrible nightmares.

Basically, I'm horrible at video games, often winning through sheer luck, grinding, or in rare cases, cheap tactics. Still, I play them obsessively. They're fun.

As for my actual opinion on gaming elitists... If they have facts and experience on their side, then more power to 'em. However, there's no reason to act like an ass while stating your opinion.

Back