• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • How do you know what the speed of your connection is? Is there some way to check it?
    What OS are you using?

In Windows Vista/7 go to Control Panel and look for Network and Internet, then click on Network and Sharing Center. Once there, about halfway down on the right side it will say "Connections:" beside it will probably be "Local Area Connection" it may have a 1or 2 beside it. If you click that it should bring up the Status window, which will have the speed on it.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
    Years
  • Please help me choose between XNA and Unity3D. I want to work on a hobby project.
    I don't know C#, so either way I'll be learning it. I know C++ and a few other languages so it shouldn't be hard.

Anyway, opinions?

Buoysel

Years
  • Ok. I'm tired of this. How do you disable auto-restarting of a Windows Vista PC (Home Premium x32) after installation of updates? It's getting annoying to restart all my programs and loose documents on demos that I cannot save on. Oh, and I cannot use gpedit.msc because I have Vista SP 2.

I know there is a way to keep Windows from restarting, but I think its in gpedit, but I can't remember for sure. I'll look into it. In the mean time, could just disable automatic updates. Set it to "automatically download, but let me choose whether install them."

Years
  • I know there is a way to keep Windows from restarting, but I think its in gpedit, but I can't remember for sure. I'll look into it. In the mean time, could just disable automatic updates. Set it to "automatically download, but let me choose whether install them."

Keep in mind that you can't really touch most of the group policy stuff without Win Pro or higher. Turning them off is probably the best option, just install them before you go to bed. "Download but don't install" if download quota isn't an issue.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Anyone have any good recommendations for a new headset? My Tritton AX180s died from being **** quality plastic and I'm looking for a new pair now. Ideally they'd work with both PC and Xbox, but I'm open to a PC exclusive headset.

Buoysel

Years
  • Anyone have any good recommendations for a new headset? My Tritton AX180s died from being **** quality plastic and I'm looking for a new pair now. Ideally they'd work with both PC and Xbox, but I'm open to a PC exclusive headset.

When I played Halo Reach Multiplier on Xbox Live I loved my Turtle Beach X11's They are very high quality, well worth the money you have to pay. They also will plug right into your computer and can be used as a mic as well.

Years

I have no idea if they work with the Xbox, but the Plantronics Gamecom headsets are good for the money. The speakers are quite good and the mic quality is excellent.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • Anybody as excited as I am for the Ivy Bridge Chipset?
    It looks pretty good, but I'm still doing just fine with my Penryn and Clovertown class CPUs. There's a fairly good chance that I won't/shouldn't need to get a new computer with Ivy Bridge class CPUs as long as I can still get by with what I've got. (it's worked for 3 years already and still doesn't fail me)

Buoysel

Years

• It looks pretty good, but I'm still doing just fine with my Penryn and Clovertown class CPUs. There's a fairly good chance that I won't/shouldn't need to get a new computer with Ivy Bridge class CPUs as long as I can still get by with what I've got. (it's worked for 3 years already and still doesn't fail me)

I'm getting a new computer next year, I'm so tired of my 3 year old laptop, it works, but it could work a lot better. And that's my fault. I could upgrade the CPU again, but I would like a new computer. So Hopefully they have an Ivy Bridge mobile processor around launch.

EDIT: maybe I could make it work, It looks like I can upgrade to the Core2Duo t7800 for $100, or the T7700 for $50. The 7700 is only 200MHz slower and I'll save $50. Maybe I'll add this to my list of stuff I need to buy and save the money I would spend on another computer for now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2011
    This question is aimed to users with a reliable knowledge of programming, specifically high level programming. A note to consider is that I have a fundamental and solid understanding of procedural languages such as Perl and PHP. I am interested in software and game programming, both which require a good perception at object-oriented and procedural programming, as my college professor once clearly stated. However, my programming knowledge is rather limited and I want to further improve it -- so the solution was either learning Java, C, or C++.

My question is: which is the best language to tackle in order to complement software and game programming together and/or each alone? My initial premise was obviously C++, considering its prominent status as one of the best OO programming languages to this date, alongside Java, albeit Java's interface and syntax is harder than C++'s according to some research. I might be wrong on this one, so anyone who has some advice on what to choose is welcome to correct me.

For the record, I did not find a programmng thread and this seemed like the perfect place to post this -- a new thread isn't worth it.

Years
  • My build is finally complete for the time being. Apart from getting a sleeved 24-pin extension over the next week. :D Cable added - pic changed. :D

What do you think?
    General Computer Chat

Last edited:
    Years
  • Looks nice. What's up with the Heatsink? Liquid cooled?

Sort of. It's a Corsair H50, so while it's technically liquid-cooling, it's just a sealed unit with the same performance as high-end air cooling. I went with it mostly because of the aesthetics. So I'm not naive enough to claim my computer is truly water-cooled. I just don't have the time or money to set up a good custom WC loop.

Looking back, I really need to fix those GPU 6-pin cables. =/

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • The only thing I can brag about on my laptop is that I have more RAM that what its suppose to support.

I'm getting a new computer this spring, and I can't deiced what if I want to go all out on a laptop, or just get something better than what I have now.

Years
  • The only thing I can brag about on my laptop is that I have more RAM that what its suppose to support.
    Unless you modified the firmware, that's not possible. Most laptops do support more RAM than they come with, but the RAM upgrades are rarely worth the arm and a they'll cost you.

In other news, I'm pretty sure my laptop died on me last week after 27 months in use nearly non-stop (when I wasn't using it, one of my family members was). I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the power equipment built into the laptop.

Last edited:

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Unless you modified the firmware, that's not possible. Most laptops do support more RAM than they come with, but the RAM upgrades are rarely worth the arm and a they'll cost you.

In other news, I'm pretty sure my laptop died on me last week after 27 months in use nearly non-stop (when I wasn't using it, one of my family members was). I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the power equipment built into the laptop.

No modification, unless you count CPU and RAM upgrades.

I have an Acer Aspire 5315, I upgraded the Processors to a Core2Duo T8300 (~$60 on eBay) Stuck a 2GB SoDIMM DDR2 ($25 Newegg) in DIMM slot 2, also has a 1GB stick in DIMM slot 1. If I put the 2GB stick in slot 1 it will not boot, but with the above mentioned configuration it does work just fine. I've had my laptop over 3 years now, works better than the day I got it (now that it doesn't have Vista on it).

Attachments

• General Computer Chat
      Untitled.png
      83.6 KB · Views: 5
    Years
  • Unless you modified the firmware, that's not possible. Most laptops do support more RAM than they come with, but the RAM upgrades are rarely worth the arm and a they'll cost you.
    Both laptops and desktops often support more than they officially support. This goes for both CPUs and memory. Whether or not it's worth upgrading depends almost entirely on the original specs of the Laptop. My old laptop was a 1.6GHz Core Solo with 512MB memory. Let me tell you that a 1.86 GHz Core Duo (same TDP) and 2GB memory definitely made a massive difference. Memory was cheap and CPU was scavenged from a dead laptop.

:( that's not good. That's the problem with laptops. They use so many proprietary parts that replacing them is often not worth the cost. Might be worth seeing exactly what's wrong before pronouncing it dead, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back