• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

God or Human?

Years
  • I guess religiously he'd be a demigod. Born of god and human so..
    Realistically Jesus was human. I personally don't believe Jesus had any fancy superpowers but that he was a vastly generous and heretical man. Mortal as any of us, maybe he was a slippery fellow too to convince the world he had died only to remerge several days later.

Years
  • Some catholics told me he is a god, other catholics told me he is a human. I even had 1 catholic tell me that he was a god and then few months later he told me he was a human.

The whole thing is confusing, but the most popular belief is that he is a human and that he is god's soon.

The Serious Table

Can't touch this
    Years
  • As a spectating agnostic, I think Jesus is a God. Christians have told me that there's God the father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit, all which are the holy trinity. I'd guess that if you're a part of the holy three, you must be a God amongst other Gods who have the same Godly status as each other. Therefor Jesus is a God.. I'd guess.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Some catholics told me he is a god, other catholics told me he is a human. I even had 1 catholic tell me that he was a god and then few months later he told me he was a human.

The whole thing is confusing, but the most popular belief is that he is a human and that he is god's soon.

The official Catholic theology is that he is both God and human at the same time. The Trinity is supposed to be 3 persons within one God, all the same person but separate at the same time. It's intentionally confusing because it's meant to be seen as the "divine mystery" and proof that God is beyond the comprehension of humans. You know:

God from God, light from light, true God from true God,
    One in being with the Father.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • It is safe to assume that he existed and was most certainly human. Anything beyond that, and it becomes much less certain.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Some of you seem a little confused. Jesus was Gods son, but Jesus is still part of the Trinity. They are one God made of Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus was 100% God and 100% human. Not 50% and 50%. He must have been this way to save everyone from our sins. Jesus wasn't the result of God having you-know-what with Mary (younger children may be on the websit). Mary was conceived by the Holy Spirit not physically (I don't know how God did it, all I know it was that he had you-know-what with her. Remember: Jesus sent down from Heaven and was always existent, just not as a human yet. I hope that clears stuff up for you guys.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • As a Catholic, I believe in the hypostatic and dyophysitic union of Jesus as God and human at the same time.

But since Christians differ in beliefs, allow me to explain:

Both Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians believe that Christ had two inseparable natures: divine and human. The correct terminology for this is "hypostatic union", and was adopted by the First Council of Ephesus and then reiterated by the Council of Chalcedon.

The Oriental Orthodox, on the other hand, rejected the Council of Chalcedon in favor of miaphytism (belief in the union of both natures without separation), while the Assyrians also schismed with the Church, and went for monophytism (one nature of a synthesis of divine and human).

Mainstream Protestants generally believe that he was God and human, but this still varies from denomination to denomination since there are like, 20000 different branches of Protestantism.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus was purely human with extraordinary powers.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
  • Can't... not... Chime in.

I hold it to be true that Jesus was fully human and fully divine. This is unavoidable, as I also hold it to be true that we are all divine beings on a human journey. It seems quite clear to me that the entire process of evolution, from geosphere to biosphere to noosphere to theosphere, is simply the Divine awakening to itself. The Mystery - Spirit - is the Ground, Process, and Goal, unfolding moment to moment.

Fundamentally, the only difference between men like Jesus or Buddha and most of us is that they consciously manifested their divine nature.

There are a number of New Testament scriptures that point to this, incidentally, even despite the sanitization performed on the document by the early Church. It's interesting to note that Indian people generally would not bat an eye at this assertion of man's innate divinity, but many other Christians have violent negative reactions. Or deep concern at my obvious deception by Satan.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Jesus, if he ever did indeed exists, and I have serious doubts about that (not even his supposed day of birth make sense if people did any real research on it), if born today and gathered a flock of people to him just as the Jesus in the bible supposedly did, would be called a cult leader and would quickly find himself either in prison, dead from the gun of a federal agent, dead from a ritualistic suicide (along with many of his followers), or locked away in a padded room in insane asylum somewhere.

Tek

Years
  • Jesus, if he ever did indeed exists, and I have serious doubts about that (not even his supposed day of birth make sense if people did any real research on it), if born today and gathered a flock of people to him just as the Jesus in the bible supposedly did, would be called a cult leader and would quickly find himself either in prison, dead from the gun of a federal agent, dead from a ritualistic suicide (along with many of his followers), or locked away in a padded room in insane asylum somewhere.

That is basically what happened back then, too, if we assume the story to be more or less accurate. Jesus declared himself King of the Jews. Everyone assumed he would be leading a revolution against the Romans. And when he did not, the Jewish people turned him over to the Romans, and left him to die and rot.

Besides that, is your argument that Jesus would break the status quo, therefore he is insane or something? Because it seems to me that the average person is quite sick of the status quo, and would like very much to see change.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure even non-religious historians believe Jesus existed.

I always thought of Jesus as sort of a part of God that was given up for a time to help humans. Sort of like the white stag in Skyrim is to Hircine.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Jesus, if he ever did indeed exists, and I have serious doubts about that (not even his supposed day of birth make sense if people did any real research on it), if born today and gathered a flock of people to him just as the Jesus in the bible supposedly did, would be called a cult leader and would quickly find himself either in prison, dead from the gun of a federal agent, dead from a ritualistic suicide (along with many of his followers), or locked away in a padded room in insane asylum somewhere.

Like Tek mentioned, that's pretty much how the Bible puts it.

Because Jesus had already attracted quite a crowd of followers, the Jewish high priests wanted to have Jesus killed for blasphemy. However, they could not kill him themselves because it was Passover, and they did not want any blood to be shed at that time. So they handed him over to King Herod, who thought he was just some insane cult leader, and sent him away to Pilate.

The highest form of Roman punishment at the time was crucifixion, and so it only made sense for the high priests to demand for Jesus to be crucified.

As for his birthday, you're completely right that it isn't December 25. In fact, no one is truly sure of the exact date and month of his birth (although the year is certain). The Western Church under Constantine assimilated Christmas into December 25 in order to compete with the festival of the Roman sun god.

NyxShooter

drifting wanderer
    Years
  • Hmm. This is an intresting question which I haven't debated about in a long time. The prospect of Jesus being a god is not very farfetched, being the supposed son of god but was born to the Virgin Mary. Philosophy entitles whether one is a man or a god depending on their actions rather than their supposed birth-right.

No man can self-title himself as a god, if he does no one will believe him. Back onto the topic of Jesus, he has done quite benevolent deeds according to the bible, however there is no true evidence of him actually doing these things. The safest thing to assume is that Jesus was a man, and not a god.

Say you're a rich man, you have a son. You gained your money and everything entitled to you through hardwork and academics. Your son, being spoiled, has no intrest in academics and is confident his father can carry him through the hard-ships of life. The father dies, not entitling anything to his son. His son is broke. You're entitlment does not secure you a position of x. Only you can put yourself in said position.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Jesus could be both and neither of them at the same time.

Take a random guy, give him a couple of people who like him a little bit too much, add another person, who envys him and soon they come up with the idea of a person who is the son of god. So while the person is still the same, more and more people start believing that he's some savior who can turn water into win; even this random guy himself could start believing that.

And believe is, were everything starts.

Years
  • These complicated answers gave me a headache, holy crap. Anyhow I believe that Jesus is man and not man as well. He was born of two regular humans yet our run-of-the-mill average male cannot rise from the dead. So yeah, man and divine.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I guess religiously he'd be a demigod. Born of god and human so..
    Realistically Jesus was human. I personally don't believe Jesus had any fancy superpowers but that he was a vastly generous and heretical man. Mortal as any of us, maybe he was a slippery fellow too to convince the world he had died only to remerge several days later.
    This is mainly my belief as well. Nothing I have seen in the world has ever convinced me that it's possible for a man to do what the book called the Bible claims that Jesus did. I won't say he didn't exist at all though, it's been proven from old records that a man called Jesus of Nazareth lived, no?

Well, when I ate part of him he tasted more like saltines and wine rather than a human or a god.
    I have experienced this as well 8)

It is safe to assume that he existed and was most certainly human. Anything beyond that, and it becomes much less certain.
    Of course it becomes uncertain; the main question is if you want to believe what the book and religions say or if you don't.

Can't... not... Chime in.

I hold it to be true that Jesus was fully human and fully divine. This is unavoidable, as I also hold it to be true that we are all divine beings on a human journey. It seems quite clear to me that the entire process of evolution, from geosphere to biosphere to noosphere to theosphere, is simply the Divine awakening to itself. The Mystery - Spirit - is the Ground, Process, and Goal, unfolding moment to moment.

Fundamentally, the only difference between men like Jesus or Buddha and most of us is that they consciously manifested their divine nature.
    Wow, I do like what you're saying. What I do believe is that we are more than just flesh and brainwaves, so every human being should have a divine side. It's still hard to believe if you have a scientific brain and have been brought up in a secular country with no state religion, but if there's anything I want to believe, it would be something like this. Jesus might have been able to manifest some part of himself that most people don't.

These complicated answers gave me a headache, holy crap. Anyhow I believe that Jesus is man and not man as well. He was born of two regular humans yet our run-of-the-mill average male cannot rise from the dead. So yeah, man and divine.
    That is, of course, if you want to believe that he actually rose from the dead. This part of the story is a bit too far-fetched and I've been wondering what possible explanations there could be for people seeing him after his presumed death. Perhaps he faked it. Perhaps some part of him actually lingered on our Earth and could interact with the disciples and other people. Or perhaps God actually revived him.

If I'm going to answer the original topic though, putting my skeptical thoughts aside and go by what I've learned growing up, I'd say Jesus is a part of God himself just as the holy spirit is. They are one but in three forms, and as Jesus is human, he has a physical brain and a bit of personality of his own. So he was both a man and divine. That's how I've understood the "stories" at least.

Back