• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Goes Great with Drums

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Hey everyone, my name's Kevin, I go by skyburial on PC, Nuggetbridge, Twitter and Youtube, and skyberries on the Battle Server. I'm based out of Denver, CO (420 yada yada yada).

You might have seen me posting in Battling and Team Building since I joined back in October. I came to PC because as far as forums are concerned, this one has done a great job of collecting a diverse base of users, and I think that enriches our dialogue about this series we love so much.

I've been a Nintendard for about 2 decades now... I think this year will actually be the 20 year mark (wow). I started with an NES that my folks gifted to me for my 5th birthday. My favorite series are Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid, with Fire Emblem following as a close runner up. I've been a competitive battler for about a year, and started playing VGC a few months ago after Generation Showdown, which was my first true immersion into the Doubles format.

My major impetus in life, however, is my music. I play bass and mandolin in a touring experimental rock and metal band with my 3 best friends. A local label just signed us and will be releasing the album we recorded in January on vinyl and CD, and I've wanted to be on vinyl for a long time now, so it's amazing to see that dream realized :) We're hitting the road again in August.

I work full time performing tech support for aviation databases and attend school full time, working towards a Double Bachelor's in Accounting and Computer Information Systems.

I am a beer and cigar enthusiast. I have a small humidor about the size of a book, so I keep my collection pretty small at the moment. Most of us who smoke cigars dream of one day owning a walk-in humidor, though :D

Though I only have one partner right now, I identify as polyamorous. Look it up if you're unfamiliar, it's probably not quite like you imagine it. My girlfriend is rad, and has been poly a lot longer than I have.

So yeah! I think that about covers it. Ask me stuff :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    in first

Wait, you've only been doing competitive battling for a year now? And new things still get released on vinyl records? How the hell do you have time for anything though when you're pursuing a double major, working full time plus your band and girlfriend? Also, favorite Fire Emblem game and character?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Wait, you've only been doing competitive battling for a year now?

Heh, yep. I started late in Gen VI but really applied myself. You might call it an obsession.

And new things still get released on vinyl records?

Oh yes. Vinyl made a comeback around... 2010 I wanna say? It never really lost popularity in Heavy Metal, because Judas Priest released Pain Killer and their other classics on vinyl and the genre is for the most part self-replicating thanks to a lot of hero worship that goes on. But, yeah so other style of artists have started releasing records on vinyl to great acclaim and the stuff practically sells itself... and is easily the most profitable way to sell music if you can handle the overhead. Which we can now, heh.

How the hell do you have time for anything though when you're pursuing a double major, working full time plus your band and girlfriend?

Good question. I do a lot of personal development stuff too, on top of that. I think the first step was learning the minimum number of hours I needed to sleep to feel rested (it's 5 hours), which I learned a few years ago by undershooting it and almost spinning off a highway from sleep deprivation at the end of a semester.

Then it was a matter of having a can-do attitude when it comes to what I want out of life, applying to jobs I want instead of telling myself a story about lack of experience and what have you.

And last, having a network that I can delegate to and empower helped in a big way. Most of the semester is group projects right now and I usually have a unique skill set, so I get my work done early and jump in to the weeds when my group mates are in over their heads. But I've actually enjoyed group projects lately.

Also, favorite Fire Emblem game and character?

Favorite game is probs Awakening. You're a fan, so I don't need to tell you how immersive it is, but yeah. I really dove in to that game. I noticed that a lot of the xenologue was pretty same-y for the most part (kill a whole bunch of this one thing because shenanigans happened life's all topsy turvy), but I must have played every single chapter of the epilogue and paralogue.

I think Soren from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn takes the cake for my favorite character, though. His whole character arc, the way he deals with racial tension, his cold, calculated demeanor, and his ability to climb the ranks in an army in spite of being only 13... just blew me away. I r8 8/8, m8.

Reactions: Nah

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    When did you first get into competitive battling?

It was July of 2014. Right around the time I got back into Pokemon and passed the halfway point on catching 'em all. I was like, geez there's a lot of these battle videos on Youtube. And then I started watching a few and talking to some friends about how EV's worked.

I think the biggest hurdle for me was learning how to IV breed, even if it is a lot easier in this gen.
    Worst result you ever had in a battle?

It was only an 0-2 and was honestly due to VGC's learning curve, but I had the match locked in. My opponent and I were 2v2, his Mega Metagross and Hydreigon vs. my Suicune and Aegislash. It was exactly the matchup that I wanted. I squandered my 15 second time limit trying to predict him and fat fingered Ice Beam onto his Metagross, and correctly King's Shielded on Aegislash.

I would have won the match if I'd tapped on Hydreigon as intended.

Back