• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gold/Silver annoying save problem.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
  • Lawyer here : in the rare case where you get sued for "illegal" use of a ROM, while I can't account for the laws in every country and state, they can ONLY prosecute you if they get you to confess to,, accept or understand that you committed theft. Often an officer or prosecutor would ask something along the lines of "Do you accept/understand that you stole GF's software by downloading it and running it without paying for a licence to use it, or without their explicit consent?" "Yes, I'm sorry, but I didn't know!" - That would land you a guilty verdict, in theory (of course this scenario will 99% never ever happen). If you, however, don't ever confess or confirm that you accept or understand, but instead make a counterclaim by asking whether or not GF can prove any loss or damages caused by your use of the software. Since they can't submit any evidence of this, there's no evidence of a theft.

If you steal a chocolate bar, the chocolate bar is no longer in the possession of the owner, but it is in your possession, there is loss, there is therefore a theft.
    If you download software, you in fact create for yourself a clone of intellectual property, they still have their game data, they have lost nothing. UNLESS you somehow make a monetary gain or you distribute the software in some way which prevents GF from making the profits that they should, you've deprived them of sales, then there's direct evidence of cause of a loss of earnings, which is theft.

tl;dr version : If you download it, play it and never redistribute it, as long as you never confess to theft, or answer yes when asked if you accept or understand that it's theft, you CANNOT be prosecuted or sued for using any pirated game, or listening to pirated music.

... Does that make it ethical to do so? NOPE, but it's legal by way of pretty exploitable loophole via the common law definition of theft, which is why they don't bother to prosecute for it.

Sorry for the boring legal stuff :P but it's there just in case anyone does get in trouble for piracy... Note, I DO NOT ENDORSE OR CONDONE PIRACY, it is unethical.

Yes, but GameFreak can't lose sales on games that they're no longer manufacturing (or putting on the eShop). You can't buy a brand new straight from the factory Crystal, and GameFreak sees no money from resold or used game sales. If you are sued, any lawyer worth his or her salt would tell you to make that defense. The game is no longer available commercially; what was I (as the player) supposed to do to obtain it?

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Yes, but GameFreak can't lose sales on games that they're no longer manufacturing (or putting on the eShop). You can't buy a brand new straight from the factory Crystal, and GameFreak sees no money from resold or used game sales. If you are sued, any lawyer worth his or her salt would tell you to make that defense. The game is no longer available commercially; what was I (as the player) supposed to do to obtain it?
    1 Amazon or EBay.
    2 Local video game stores that sell used games.
    3 Yard Sales.
    4 Flea Markets.
    5 Thrift Shops.
    That's the only way to get a paid copy of the game but emulators and ROMS are free and free is better than paid.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Exactly. And GameFreak isn't receiving money for the game from any of those sources.
    Why should they care? Gen 2 is outdated and Pokemon Gold and Silver are like on their 15 year anniversary right now while Crystal will be on its 15 year anniversary next year.

jasonthedrag0n

Disco Elephant
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    That defence would then be a valid if GF could provide evidence of a theft, yes, It's like, without a body or murder weapon you (99% of the time) can't be tried for murder but if you are tried for murder you'd then use a defence that would justify it. It's better to not have a case to defend in the first place.

Any way, there's more chance of Santa slipping on an icy puddle in hell than GF suing you or the police charging you for running a Pokemon emulator ROM, even if you run around a police station wearing a "I downloaded Pokemon Gold illegally" tee-shirt. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    That defence would then be a valid if GF could provide evidence of a theft, yes, It's like, without a body or murder weapon you (99% of the time) can't be tried for murder but if you are tried for murder you'd then use a defence that would justify it. It's better to not have a case to defend in the first place.

Any way, there's more chance of Santa slipping on an icy puddle in hell than GF suing you or the police charging you for running a Pokemon emulator ROM, even if you run around a police station wearing a "I downloaded Pokemon Gold illegally" tee-shirt. :P
    How would game freak know if I actually was running the emulator on my phone or tablet because they are all the way in Japan and I am far away from them. Also millions of people do this sort of thing so it won't be easy to find out that I am emulating Crystal.

jasonthedrag0n

Disco Elephant
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    One of the many reasons Santa is more likely to slip ;) They won't, you have more chance of finding Pikachu in the bible than you do of being sued by GF.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    One of the many reasons Santa is more likely to slip ;) They won't, you have more chance of finding Pikachu in the bible than you do of being sued by GF.
    WTF!? U really think that God would bring Pikachu to live and place it in an ancient religious bible? That's most likely to never happen in like real life.

jasonthedrag0n

Disco Elephant
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    I'm sorry, I'm guessing that English isn't your first language (unless you're trolling with me?) and you didn't understand what I meant to say?

These are expressions to say : it is never realistically going to happen. I hope that clarifies it for you.

Back