• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Goldeen just looks like a normal animal?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    What are some Pokemon you feel don't look that different from normal animals? I've always thought Herdier just looks like a regular dog moreso than a Pokemon, for example.

pkmin3033

Corviknight's line really freaks me out for this...Blue Tit evolves into Blue Jay - which are not native to the UK by the way, so this makes zero sense - evolves into...Raven? Errrrrrrr. I'd say Magikarp looks more like a goldfish than a koi carp...which more resembles Goldeen/Seaking. Although I had a goldfish that looked a lot like a Seaking once.

Years
    A lot of fish Pokemon are just, well, fish. Goldeen/Seaking, Magikarp, Qwilfish, Finneon/Lumineon, and Tynamo are just a few off the top of my head that wouldn't look too out of place out in the ocean somewhere.

Years
    Wailord is simply just a blue whale. It's quite a plain design. If I was not overly familiar with pokemon and came across an image of Wailord I would just assume that it was just an interpretation of a regular whale.

Years
    Don't even get me started, Kanto does this the worse, Toaros, Pidgey, Magikarp, Squirtle, Krabby, Ekans, Zubat, and so many more...

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Pidove is literally just a dove

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Ursaring. Its design has always bothered me because it looks too much like a normal bear. As if the ring is going to do it any favors.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    Kakuna looks just like a bee/wasp pupa, but I don't think that's really an issue since the vast majority of people have probably never had a good look at a bee/wasp pupa.

Spoiler:

Ursaring. Its design has always bothered me because it looks too much like a normal bear. As if the ring is going to do it any favors.
    Ursaring used to be one of my least favorite Pokémon for this very reason. Just a cartoon sun bear with easily-overlooked epaulets. :/

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    I might be the odd one out because I like Pokémon that closely resemble animals! Maybe because I'm such an animal lover, but I kind of draw the line when there's nothing Pokémon-like about it—such as Herdier and Toucannon. Cute but just not Pokémony enough! :s

Years
    i mean a lot of the pokemon resemble their irl counterparts.. especially fish..
    i kinda like toucannon though! it's pretty and does look pokemon-y on it's own.

big agree on herdier though. why is that a pokemon. that's a dog.
    also, wooloo.

K1K1-333

VIRTUAL ENTITY ✧
    Years
    i think a lot of the pokemon mentioned here still stand out as pokemon, only because of the way they are stylized/drawn. they have their own unique shaping/silhouettes that make them stand out from "just an animal." as for the kanto birds and such, that's a little less true. a silhouette to a non-pokemon fan is probably just going to look like a normal bird in the case of something like pidgey. reminds me that the japanese name for Pidgeotto is literally just Pidgeon. obviously the language is different so that's fine, but it is kind of funny. it's literally just a bird

Back