• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gone features you don't miss?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are some mechanics you're glad were left in the past generations?

I definitely do not miss Pokemon games running off of internal batteries. While this isn't a feature, perse, it's pretty much what's prevented me from ever going through with buying physical copies of the older Pokemon games, but especially the second generation. So, I'm glad this is completely gone now.

I'm also glad having to physically obtain the running shoes is something else that's gone. Older games just... not having the running shoes there by default has always made beginning Pokemon games really slow.

But that's all I can think of in terms of me. Those are really the only two things I do NOT miss from the older Pokemon games.

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
  • Not being able to run in buildings. Nothing more frustrating in gen 1-3, it seemed so unnecessary.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    HMs were an outdated concept that I've very glad were gotten rid of. I'm also glad that Legendary Pokemon re-spawn after being defeated ever since Platinum version.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    HMs is obvious, but I'm also really glad for resuable TMs, move re-learners that aren't a pain to get anymore, running shoes being by default.

Years
  • I am super grateful for the physical/special split, it totally changed the game.

I... don't miss diving actually, it didn't offer as much as it could have. Fond memories of it, as it was part of the journey.

Years
  • HMs is obvious, but I'm also really glad for resuable TMs, move re-learners that aren't a pain to get anymore, running shoes being by default.

this, too!! idk how this didn't cross my mind earlier, but reusable TMs is such a godsend. like, in earlier pokemon games, trying to figure out who to teach who what TM was an absolute nightmare since, if it wasn't a TM that you could buy at the department store (like Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard, etc), then that was it. @__@;

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I do not miss the roaming Pokémon at all. Those were infuriating, because not only you needed pure luck to find them, but also you only had a chance to hit them once or twice before they ran away and you had a chance to meet them again.

Games that had as many roaming Pokémon as they did Master Balls did have an excuse. Generation 2 and 4 didn't have one. And Pokémon Black2/White 2 did the best thing that could have been done to this system: abandoning it entirely.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I do not miss the roaming Pokémon at all. Those were infuriating, because not only you needed pure luck to find them, but also you only had a chance to hit them once or twice before they ran away and you had a chance to meet them again.

Games that had as many roaming Pokémon as they did Master Balls did have an excuse. Generation 2 and 4 didn't have one. And Pokémon Black2/White 2 did the best thing that could have been done to this system: abandoning it entirely.

Black and White 2 having you encounter the mons was a blessing. Not only could you easily soft reset for shiny mons/ natures, they were all still fair to capture. And if you weren't ready, you could easily prepare and come back.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Definitely roaming Pokémon and non-reusable TMs; the latter was especially dumb for all those TMs that could only be obtained a single time.

pkmin3033

I don't miss Festival Plaza. Coming off of the excellently designed PSS from Gen VI this was an absolute clusterfuck. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

It's pretty safe to say this won't reappear in Gen VIII I think, given Game Freak's need to reinvent the online connectivity wheel whilst not fixing the GTS every generation.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    HMs, Im glad they were gone for good because certain ones are shortcuts, while others are require to progress and next GEN just use pagers/special moves for evee/pikachu and even who knows what we will be using in SS.

One-time TMs never fear of wasting a good TM when you accidentally teach a pokemon or made up your mind while you are playing.

yeah, I rather tap the trainer icon than going back and forth just to battle or trade its much hassle, godsend festival plaza gone for good

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • the only thing gen I got right in that when you got a gift pokemon and your party was full it would send to your pc which they somehow managed to regress on in later gens

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • There's a few other features that are gone that I don't miss and those are:

The item bag being limited in space. This was extremely annoying in the first three generations. Seeing the message my bag was full just really made me upset while playing the generation III games. Twenty items is NOT enough. I also don't miss there being no medicine pocket. The earlier games didn't have a differentiation between items or medicine. I'm glad for this pocket, it makes everything organized.

Also I don't miss repels not being a continuous use item. It saves the trouble of having to go into the bag and use one manually. Thank God for continuous repel use.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2022
    The limitation of only being able to access PC Pokemon in locations with a PC such as Pokemon Centers, and only being able to use vitamins one at a time if the EV in question isn't 100 or higher. I've learned that SwSh will do away with that completely and allow for switching between PC Pokemon and party Pokemon anywhere at will, as well as using more than 1 of a given vitamin at once and being able to max out EVs with vitamins alone.

Back