• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good Battle Or Naw

Shukawariosenpai

Pokemon Breeder/Completionist
Years
  • Do you prefer to level up your pokemon to gargantuan levels and destroy all the pokemon you battle in one hit? Or do you prefer to keep your pokemon at a good level so that all battles are competitive? Personally, I prefer the former. ;)

Years
  • I don't overlevel in battle - most of the time I try to make sure my levels are relatively low, except in Nuzlockes where I can't afford to be under-leveled. I'd rather try to win battles with strategy, usually with a team effort.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I prefer to be grossly over-leveled if I can, especially since it's PvE. But in some games, that's not always possible and that offers its own neat challenge.

I'll also add that being over-leveled could be an issue, especially in solo-runs. If you're playing with a Pokemon receiving bonus exp, it can be tough to maintain low level in order to hit the first 3 or 4 gyms successfully.

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    I like both. Once, before the first time battling my rival in Sapphire, I leveled up my Mudkip into a Marshtomp. I was going to make it a Swampert, but it soon became obvious that that would take to much time to achieve. Most of the time I like to rush ahead of where I am which leaves my Pokemon under leveled, but I usually train them up just before I have to beat a gym.
    On Alpha Sapphire, I tried to keep my Pokemon's levels equal when battling Zinnia and the Elite Four the second time. I did this because I wanted to rely more on my team and battling skills for the battle.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • Over-levelled to the max for me. I often have my Pokemon at level 80s to 90s when facing the elite 4 in each game. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I don't do competitive battling, but I just enjoying OHKOs way too much.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • During my main playthrough I try to stay at a competitive level that will give me more of a challenge when I face the trainers/gym leaders. Ripping through every opponent with ease is boring, imo. I want to be placed into situations where I have to actually think about what I'm doing and make strategic decisions etc.

Years
  • I try to grind my way to a level that can easily overpower most trainers, so that I can easily breeze through the game at a faster pace but it'll also depend on the Pokemon that I'm using.

Years
  • I like a good challenge sometimes, but most of time I prefer to curbstomp all my rivals and complete the game much faster.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In-game, I dislike when battles feel competitive, as I'm playing it mostly to experience the storyline, and not much else; I enjoy it more when I breeze through them. When it comes to online, however, it's a different story.

Back