• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Good books to read up on?

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    Hello, I was wondering if there are any great books that would be useful when learning to work with a decomp repo? I can see the languages that the repo is comprised of on GitHub, but wanted to see if anyone has read a great book that will help understand how to make editing more intuitive.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    i think you'll find this useful: game programming patterns by robert nystrom

i've only read some of it but learned a lot! it seems like a really great resource.

if you're totally new to programming, you should be looking for something to help you understand the specific language your repo uses. for gen 3 repos, look for something to help you understand the C language, for gen 1 and 2, look for assembly. i personally didn't start learning programming by reading, so i don't know about any books specifically that will help you learn these languages. but if you can't find a book for them, online tutorials are great too.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    that book looks good! seems like it tries to be accessible even to people who aren't familiar with programming, so you could definitely give it a shot. it's outdated in places, but C doesn't really change much as far as i can tell, so the actual programming should still be fine. it just means you might want to do some more research yourself in terms of things like picking an IDE.

Back