• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Google Translated Pokémon Emerald (Release)

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    I took all the text in Pokémon Emerald but translated it from English through Russian, Spanish, Japanese, Finnish, Arabic, Corsican, Chinese (Simplified) back into English, as a result the text is messed up but it still carries some of the meaning behind it, I think it's funny.

You can get it here if you wanna check it out.

Here's some screenshots

aeJn9PA.png
    Imd82Jq.png
    AX7r722.png
    WLWyJvO.png
    7YRxGns.png
    N04Q4B4.png
    iVHAKOR.png
    46pUXSS.png
    m5WDA9X.png
    7BCK2IT.png
    KYV9vKN.png
    6LHMFqy.png
    uQ27J0u.png

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Nice! Glad this idea is now an actual thing! 😂 How did you go about doing this? By hand?

I'm curious because I had an idea to do something like this a few years back (after getting the idea from Melinda of Google Translate Fails on YouTube, hence the name of this repo: https://github.com/tustin2121/pokewatermelon). I got a text extractor script set up on the decomp repo, but I didn't actually get to the translation bit because an automated script would require me to set stuff up through Google's API and possibly actually pay money to use it at any sort of decent rate.

So I'm curious what you did and how long it took you in the end.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    It's actually a bit complicated, you can use the google translate API with no rate restriction for free though.
    I just processed everything in the decomp through the API, it got a bit more complex because things like names and moves and stuff had length restrictions and there's a lot of text with variables (like the player names or whatever) that need to be automatically translated as well, I could go into detail but it wasn't a very clean process. Took me about a week and a half from scratch.
    You can see the final version of the tools I used here, although they're not meant to be readable or clean in any way, but you can ask me if you need help or want to translate some other game.

Also there's a LOT LOT of text in Emerald, translating this by hand would be impossible.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I noticed item descriptions are messed up. Many items have descriptions that correspond to other items. Just a little curiosity, no need to fix that lol

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    They do? Can you provide an example? Would be a very strange glitch to get considering my workflow

Back