• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gotta catch 'em all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    20 years ago, there were only 150 Pokemon. There's now the possibility of there being at least 800 Pokemon by the end of these games. Every single Pokemon (except two) are already obtainable in previous games, and all the event legendaries are being distributed this year anyway (not that they officially count but still), so between now and the end of the year, it is possible to have all 700-something Pokemon ready to go.

You could do two things here - you could transfer them all over to Sun and Moon. Or... you could attempt to re-attain everything in Sun and Moon (assuming that is possible). It might sound crazy, but why not? Having the Shiny Charm on offer for catching roughly 50 or so Pokemon doesn't seem really fair. On the other hand, do we need a reward even bigger than the Shiny Charm for even having all the Pokemon in the first place?

I'm on two sides about this. I love the idea of the Shiny Charm, but I love the idea of actually earning something even more. I would actually like a greater challenge. Sure 'catch them all' but in order to get the Shiny Charm you'd have to have captured at least five shinies in-game (which will likely be easy to catch). It always seemed odd to me that you don't get rewarded for finding shinies and only finding all the Pokemon EVEN THOUGH every single Pokemon is easily attainable.

The other thought is that Pokemon Bank could possibly complicate things, and until you achieve something in-game you can't actually access Pokemon Bank. Cruel but given the whole Johto saga (I actually don't entirely remember what happened, but I remember that Johto starters were worth more than Moltres even) it might make the value of Pokemon increase.

_____​

What are your thoughts in regards to this? Is the Shiny Charm a worthwhile reward or is it too easy to get? Will you bother 'catching' them all or is it just a case of banking 'em all?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Catch em all isn't real anymore because there are too many pokemon.
    I don't know how many pokemon there will be in 10 years from now. But I think the number is going to be crazy eventually.

Did they think that the number would be 1000+ in 1996? They might end crating new pokemon eventually

2016 7th gen: 820
    2019 8th gen: 900
    2023 9th gen: 1000
    2026 10th gen: 1150

And this is only until 2026.

pkmin3033

For a while now, I have wanted a mothership Pokemon game like the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs; one where you actually can obtain every Pokemon between the two versions without cross-generation trading. I'm thinking this is less and less likely to happen, which is a real shame, although if it could all come together in that fashion in Sun and Moon I'd be overjoyed and would very happily go after everything again just to do it.

The Shiny Charm isn't particularly appealing to me, if I'm honest about it...it has about as much merit as the congradulations you get for filling the dex. I'd actually quite like it if we got access to a new area, or even if, after catching every Pokemon except for one - presumably a Legendary - we were then given that Legendary by the Professor of the region or something. The problem with rewards for doing things like that is that they're always going to be fairly superficial and pointless, because you've already done everything by catching them all. But then, giving us a new area to explore, a new Pokemon, or something we wouldn't otherwise get for not catching them all, would provide incentive for players to do so where it otherwise wouldn't exist. I can't see it happening because Pokemon Bank makes it far too easy to get a full dex, but...well, it'd be nice.

Last edited:

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
    Years
  • I already have a complete living dex(and few shinies to go with it) so I'll probably be one of the first to get the Shiny Charm.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • With this new generation assuming we get more than 60 Pokemon, that's going to take the total upto 781 which is a huge amount. I always lose the motivation to catch them all about half way through a game, I'll still keep trying though! I'm pretty sure the transfer from RBY titles to Sun & Moon will help significantly.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I already have a living dex so I'm not too concerned. Though, I will try to obtain every Pokemon in Sun/Moon that's available through catching, breeding, and evolving before I move any Pokemon over.

Years
  • I've always never fully completed a Pokedex and that'll be unlikely to change, but I will at least try and catch what I can easily catch.

Sirfetch’d

I don't plan on transferring too much other than unobtainable ones because I want to try and complete the Pokedex from scratch and feel that sense of accomplishment once I get that Shiny Charm 8)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    For myself I'm gonna be pretty lazy with this and just bank it HOWEVER I would appreciate if they DID make the Shiny Charm harder to get (and maybe increase the percentage of encountering a shiny with it). The reward for catching 'em all could be a trip to Kalos because it's easy to obtain everything now... and everyone wants Kalos. c:

I don't plan on transferring too much other than unobtainable ones because I want to try and complete the Pokedex from scratch and feel that sense of accomplishment once I get that Shiny Charm 8)

Determination right there.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Perhaps this will be the gen that I finally try to complete the PokeDex. Not really in it for the shiny charm though, as I have plenty of shiny Pokemon. Plus since I don't battle online, I'm the only one that sees them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back