• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gotta see 'em all?

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    I hope you don't even have to catch/see them all to get the National Dex. There's a perfect spot in the storyline to give it to you anyway (Time Capsule in Ecruteak.. there's no more need for a Time Capsule, is there? So it could just be replaced with that). If you have to do something, I liked FrLg's better of only having to see 60 Pokemon and complete some progress. Having to see them all gets very tedious when there are several that only one trainer in the whole game has it and you have no idea where they are.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I hope you don't even have to catch/see them all to get the National Dex. There's a perfect spot in the storyline to give it to you anyway (Time Capsule in Ecruteak.. there's no more need for a Time Capsule, is there? So it could just be replaced with that). If you have to do something, I liked FrLg's better of only having to see 60 Pokemon and complete some progress. Having to see them all gets very tedious when there are several that only one trainer in the whole game has it and you have no idea where they are.

Well in FRLG, we didn't simply have to see 60 Pokémon, we had to catch them in order to get specific items such as HM Flash, Exp. Share and other valuable items as well. We also needed to catch these 60 Pokémon to get the National Dex. Though, having the chance to see them over catching will make the game a bit more fun and less tedious for the players. As for having the Pokémon at a widespread in trainers, it'll actually give us a benefit. The reason why is because it'll give them another reason to raise the levels of the Pokémon in the game and it'll also give us more trainers to battle more than likely. If they do this, then it'll be easier training for us as well when having to navigate through 2 regions. I can definitely tell you that having neither of this will just make the game too easy. The National Dex is an earning afterwards and should be kept that way by trying to accomplish something other than beating the Elite, getting 16 badges, etc.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
    I'm honestly fine with the idea of either seeing all of the Pokemon, or catching a certain amount. Catching them all is a different story, though... So I'd rather stick to the ways of seeing all of the Pokemon. By the time you're done with the game, chances are that you've seen almost, if not all, of the Pokemon for the Dex.

But I'm fine with catching a certain amount, too. As long as it's not ridiculously high; but I see the DPPt way more likely than the FRLG way, anyway.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Besides, it's more realistic if you just have to "see" them - since that is how it is in the anime.

Since when was the anime real, or even the canon bible? Oh well. :P

I want to just see them first, and go catch them later. Bear in mind, in Platinum it is impossible to catch some Pokemon before the National Dex (barring trading), such as Elekid and Magby (and by extension, Electabuzz, Electivire, Magmar and Magmortar), which require the dongle method.

Primal_Dialga

Random act of kindness~
    Years
    i hope that they keep it like in D/P/Pt because i personaly dont have the patience to catch them all i rather have the self satisfaction of beliving i completed the game ^_^

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Yeah whatever. Its better to keep that intact. Otherwise it looks excellent. 2 screens and it reminds me a lot of the Johto dex.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I hope they keep the Johto Dex the same really.

Those screens are excellent.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    It pretty much needs to stay the same. I'm telling you, Generation 3 and 4 Pokemon probably won't be accepted.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Well, it relates to this thread on the whole Pokedex thing, (and unlike others it isn't too outdated either). Too many threads anyways. XD Hence the merge with this one - see some discussion on this and all.

I suppose this means Nat Dex of some kind is pretty likely... Now how to move from it, and how many Pokemon would it exactly have for sure? (Unless it is confirmed to be 251, although I doubt Celebi has to be seen and there's too much new info to keep track of >_<)

p!kablu

Map Maker Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2009
    I think it's safe to say we will see a National Dex. It's going to be good seeing as there wont be any annoying Bidoof around the place. It will keep a restraining order on all the other non Johto pokemon to make the experience feel just like the old one.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen yesterday
    Either way, I hope the amount they display by "Pokedex" when you start the game is the number you have caught, not seen. Honestly I hope they do it the FR/LG way where you catch 60 Pokemon on the local dex and then get the National Dex.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Seeing as we have a National Dex included to the game is a bonus. It also allows us to know that they will stick to the original 252 Pokémon before allowing trade with DPPt for the newer generation from Hoenn and Sinnoh. Though, it is still sketchy on how they will approach the idea of this. Such as, if they'll allow us to see them all or have to go through the hassle of catching all or a certain number like in FRLG. In my personal opinion I'd rather have the oppotunity of seeing them all. The reason why is because it'll allow more a vareity for the trainers and hopefully give us the benefit of adding in new trainers from what they provided us in the originals GSC. Hopefully though, we'll get to see more Johto Pokémon than Kanto as when it came to the PokéDex more original Kanto Pokémon were seen over the newer Johto Pokémon introduced into the game.

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
    Yeah, it should be like in D/P. I like "Gotta see'em all" more. But when it would be so, that really EVERY Pokemon (including all 3 starters, like in Yellow) is catchable, then in my opinion, it doesn't matter, if catching or seeing.

Back