• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Gym Leaders

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Which gym leaders, between FR/LG and R/S/E, did you have the hardest time going up against? Which did you actually enjoy battling? Giovanni was the most difficult for me in FireRed and LeafGreen. Took me plenty of time to beat him, and had to use a lot of recovery items as well. In R/S/E, it'd probably have to be Tate and Liz. Which did I like battling? Maybe Roxanne. In FR/LG, it's gotta be Misty. :]

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2014
    Tate and Liza were food for me. Norman was rough, facade from Slaking is not nice, even without a status.
    Hate all gym leaders. Blaine being the badass he is, though, I liked playing him. I enjoy battling all of Kanto's leaders in Soul Silver/Heart Gold.

Years
    I remember Norman used to give me the hardest time. His Slaking drove me nuts, because I didn't understand why someone would want a Pokemon with the Truant ability, but at the same time it took me forever to knock out, and it could bring down my Pokemon whenever it actually moved. :/

Flannery was one of the gyms I enjoyed the most. I liked Flannery's character, and the fire-type was one of my favorites.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    Norman was always hard. Tate and Liz are hard if you can't hit super effective. Same with Flannery. I've never had any troubles with FR gym leaders. My favorites were probably Erica for great EXP. And Winona because I loved her types and diversity.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I used to have a hard time going against Tate and Liza. Well, that was only because when I was playing Pokémon Ruby for the first time, I only relied on my Blaziken to do all of the fighting. Granted, it wasn't too bad, but.. the type disadvantages really hurt. Tate and Liza made me realize this, since her Psychic pokemon was really tricky, ugh. Oh, but I do really like them as Gym Leaders! I liked that idea on having co Gym Leaders, and you'd have to beat them in a double battle. I wish more gym leaders were like those two!

Another Gym Leader that I liked on Pokémon R/S/E was Flannery. She's pretty awesome, and her character design was amazing! Love her hair, aaah. She was actually pretty fun to fight against too, because I love fighting fire pokemon in general to try and match their power, and her pokemon didn't disappoint! Her Torkoal was definitely a challenge to fight against because it had great defense and her Iron Defense helped that out, but, her spamming Overheat preeeetty much was her downfall. XD

Hm, on FireRed and LeafGreen, on the other hand, I didn't really have any trouble fighing the gym leaders because, my experience of fighting them on Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Yellow carried on over there, but if anything, I'd say Misty was a little tricky when I was trying out Charmander. Those Water attacks aren't a joke, especially if you were using a Charmeleon. XD But still, Oddish's and Bellsprouts were around, and I've also used Pikachu, which was a big help.

Ah, but I have a whole bunch of favourite Gym Leaders on Pokémon LeafGreen/FireRed. The first is Erica, because I really adore her, and her traditional Japanese-woman design was really sweet, and awesomeeee. She wasn't too hard to beat, especially since I've had a Pigdeotto and a Charizard at that time. Plus her Gym design was always a pleasure to visit. I also loved Sabrina, since I really liked her FR/LG design more than her HeartGold/SoulSilver design because, it made her feel more fierce, hehe. Hm, on terms of fighting her, yeah, her pokemon were pretty strong if your own pokemon weren't that strong themselves, but, it wasn't too bad! I've used a Snorlax on that battle, and it's Special Defense was pretty impressive! Amnesia really helps. C:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    The hardest gym leader from the R/S/E games is probably a tie between Tate & Liza and Norman. Both were ones I had loads of trouble with, if I didn't have any Pokemon who could counter them, or was strong enough to counter them for that matter. Tate & Liza usually took loads of grinding with some Water type Pokemon to beat, or in the case of my latest game, took a Breloom and some luck to beat. Breloom definitely isn't the best option for that battle, but with enough speed and attack, it could just barely make it through :p They're definitely some of the harder gym leaders I've ever faced.

Norman was usually hard because of how strong and bulky his Pokemon were. The one thing I mainly used to get through him was Pokemon with high defense, which in my last playthrough was an Aron. Definitely took some patience, but I eventually made it through. And got myself a Lairon in the process :D

The most enjoyable one would probably have to be Brawly, simply because I've always felt that he poses a challenge without being too hard and requiring too much grinding. Unless I overleveled my Tailow (which I'd be sure to have haha) he wouldn't be someone I'd plow directly through, but I've always really liked him and his Pokemon.

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
    Years
    • uk
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    Tate and Liza, definitely. I'm not sure about FRLG, I didn't play it as much. I'd probably say Giovanni, from what I remember.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    The only Hoenn gym leader that ever gave me trouble was Norman. His Slaking hits like a freakin' truck, man. Then I discovered how t0 make effective use of Protect. ^_^

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Tate and Liza are always extremely easy for me (even in the unevolved challenge that I'm doing).
    Juan/Wallace is the opposite for me. I've been stuck on him on the unevolved challenge, and also at this point of the game I'm underleved lol.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    It really depends on the team I was using, as I've played through RSE/FRLG so many times. However, the ones that really stick out as being difficult in RSE are (like many of the above posters) Norman and Tate and Liza. However, if you choose the right team members they can be really easy. As for FRLG, the most difficult in it seems like any run is always Giovanni. However, I do occasionally have difficulty with Misty. As for my favorite Gym Battles, they would have to be Flannery and Winona in RSE and Sabrina and Blaine in FRLG.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    Hardest battle: No doubt freaking Tate and Liza!! Their double-battle is so hard, their Pokemon love to team up and crush every single pokemon one by one, and the fact that they have 2 hyper potions doesnt help either. Best time battling: Probably Wattson from RSE, i just find him to be such a nice and cool old guy :D

Didn't suffer from any gym fights in FR/LG, surprisingly. Usually there's at least one each gen.

But R/S/E.. please spare me from the tediousness of Norman, especially in Sapphire and Ruby where he had two Slaking. Status effects only made it harder on me since he had Facade which absolutely wrecked my team. Luckily Truant helped my Pokemon pull through and I was never as happy to choose Torchic as I was.

Years
    I always feel silly saying it, but the first time I played through Sapphire, I couldn't for the life of me beat Brawly. I figured type advantage would be more important than going in with a strong Taillow, but his Makuhita must've beaten me 3 or 4 times before I sucked it up and grinded a bit in Granite Cave. Tate and Liza were a bit tricky too, though I got more frustrated at the Gym than the actual battle, haha.

As for FireRed, I didn't have much trouble with the Gyms as I already knew what to expect, but Koga did come close to wiping out my team with his Muk's Toxic-Minimize combo. That's still one of my least favorite Pokemon to face in game, and was so happy when he brought it with him to the Elite Four later on.

Years
    Tate and Liza hands down the hardest for me and I don't know why people say Norman was hard he was frustrating yes but I beat him in 1st try my first time also Juan was kinda annoying with his kingdom but that's all

Years
    In FR/LG it was usually Sabrina that gave me the most troubles - and maybe Erica since I usually started with Squirtle and didn't have flying type or good fire type in my team - I hated her constantly poisoning my pokemon and putting them to sleep >_<

Emerald: Tate&Liz - they are just so hard to take down D:

I also usually chose Treecko as my starter so I had hard time going up against Wattson >_<

Back