• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen ~*!*~gym Types~*!*~

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2006
    here are mine

1) Flying
    2) Ice
    3) Physcic*
    4) Fighting
    5) Grass
    6) Fire
    7) Water
    8) Lightning

but seriously what if d/p has more then 8 gyms i mean i know there have been more then 8 gyms in the past pokemon games like g/s/c but what if there are more then 8 gyms you need to beat to get into the pokemon leagues

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    1. Fighting
    2. Flying
    3. Rock
    4. Steel
    5. Bug
    6. Dark
    7. Ice
    8. Normal

halfdead said:
    but seriously what if d/p has more then 8 gyms i mean i know there have been more then 8 gyms in the past pokemon games like g/s/c but what if there are more then 8 gyms you need to beat to get into the pokemon leagues

In all the pokemon RPGs that are already out, 8 badges are required to reach the Pokemon League. GSC's additional 8 badges were to reach Red. We're assuming there'll be 8 badges because of tradition and logic.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Please note: The following is only my guesses according to observation. I don't claim to be right. I just claim to have no life.

According to tradition, the starters will most likely still be Grass, Water, and Fire, and the first Gym will be easy for two of those types and somewhat difficult for the third. (Brock/Roxanne's Gym was easy for Squirtle/Mudkip and Bulbasaur/Treecko but harder for Charmander/Torchic, and Falkner's Gym was easy for Totodile and Cyndaquil but harder for Chikorita.) With that in mind, it'll probably still be something easy for two of the starters but difficult for the third.

Hence, I predict that the first Gym will be Electric. Electric can be beaten without a problem by Grass-types (which have a resistance to the type) and Fire-types (which is neutral to such Pokemon unless an Electric/Steel Pokemon like Magnemite is involved, at which point there will be an offensive advantage in Fire's favor), but Water-types, while having no offensive advantage or disadvantage against Electric, is weak to Electric-type moves (thus making the Gym difficult).

Alternatively, the first Gym could be Ground, which is pretty much the same, only switch Water and Fire in the above paragraph. This might be the better choice, seeing as the Electric type already has two Gyms. (See below.)

Beyond that, I'd have to decide by looking at what types of Gyms already exist.

Normal: Two Gyms (Goldenrod and Petalburg)
    Fire: Two Gyms (Cinnabar and Lavaridge)
    Water: Two Gyms (Cerulean and Sootopolis)
    Electric: Two Gyms (Vermilion and Mauville)
    Grass: One Gym (Celadon)
    Ice: One Gym (Mahogany)
    Fighting: Two Gyms (Cianwood and Dewford)
    Poison: One Gym (Fuchsia)
    Ground: One Gym (Viridian)
    Flying: Two Gyms (Violet and Fortree)
    Psychic: Two Gyms (Saffron and Mossdeep)
    Bug: One Gym (Azalea)
    Rock: Two Gyms (Pewter and Rustboro)
    Ghost: One Gym (Ecruteak)
    Dragon: One Gym (Blackthorn)
    Dark: No Gyms
    Steel: One Gym (Olivine)

With all that in mind, the games will probably go for types that either haven't been covered yet or have only been covered once, just to avoid redundancy (although a Water Gym seems to be a bit of a tradition). Thus, the following types I predict will be seen, in no particular order, are the following:

Ground
    Dark
    Steel
    Grass (or Poison)
    Ice
    Bug
    Ghost
    Dragon

With a possibility of a Water-typed Gym to continue tradition.

Now, for the fun part. Putting them in order.

I've already stated my reasons for thinking Ground will go first. The type after that usually displays more of an advantage with one type over another. To be specific, the Gym after Pewter was Water, meaning that though Squirtle and Bulbasaur had an advantage over Brock (considering the RBY series, in which Metal Claw isn't available), Bulbasaur had more of an advantage in Misty's Gym than Squirtle. Meanwhile, while Cyndaquil and Totodile did better than Chikorita in Falkner's Gym, against Bugsy, Cyndaquil had more of an advantage. The only League that doesn't fit this pattern is Hoenn, in which a Rock-type Gym follows a Fighting-type Gym, meaning both Mudkip and Treecko had equal footing there.

Even so, considering the above, I predict that the Gym following the Ground-type Gym will be a Bug-typed one, as a Water-type Pokemon would have more of a footing there than a Grass-type would.

After that, the next Gyms can pretty much fall in any order, but the seemingly most difficult Gym would be placed last (obviously). It was true with Clair, it was true with Giovanni (although that was mainly because of his Pokemon), and it was true with Wallace (although that was mainly because of Milotic). Nevertheless, I've put Steel down as the final Gym, with Dragon being the seventh.

Thus, the final list is as follows:

1. Ground
    2. Bug
    3. Grass (or Poison)
    4. Ice
    5. Ghost
    6. Dark
    7. Dragon
    8. Steel

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Ehh...interesting theory, Kazeto Tamashii. Although I've been thinking, wouldn't the gyms' signature TMs (The ones you get for winning) also affect the order? I mean, usually the fist gym gives off a rather weak TM move (Bide/Rock Tomb from Brock, Mud-Slap from Falkner, and Rock Tomb from Roxanne), whereas stronger/more useful ones tend to come later on (E.g. Earthquake/Fissure from Giovanni, Mega Drain/Giga Drain from Erika, Calm Mind from Tate & Liza, Shadow Ball from Morty etc.). There's not such a clear pattern as there is with the types in the later generations (Taking Water Pulse and Dragonbreath as examples), but there still seems to be something there, which makes me kind of sceptical towards Ground being the first gym's type, since the only TMized Ground moves nowadays are Earthquake and Dig, the latter possessing an out-of-battle effect which is uncharacteristic for gym moves, although for all we know they could be adding in new ones on that front. Also, I notice that this far the Fire type has yet to be favoured as a start out, and doubt that it will be since it's supposed to be the 'hard' way to go which is supposed to reap huge rewards later on, so bearing that in mind, I'm expecting something along the lines of;

1. Ground (Favours Grass and Water, strong against Fire, despite my scepticism I'm hoping that this will be the one.)
    2. Water (Still favours Grass, neutral against Water, strong against Fire)
    3. Poison (Tables now turned against Grass while Fire and Water remain neutral)
    ~Rest in no particular order~
    Dark (Do you realize that there hasn't been a single Dark type gym in any of the pokémon games? Tis' an outrage, I say! An outrage! xO)
    Ghost
    Ice (Maybe finally cutting Fire some slack)
    Steel or Dragon (Traditional 'tough' types, one of the two will most likely be featured in one of the last gyms)
    Bug (The little sweeties deserve some more spotlight =P)
    Grass (Good all around type with a wide variety of species, could serve as another later-stage gym.)

These are mostly wishes and guesswork, though, so don't quote me on it. xD Incidentally, wouldn't it be a nice twist if the first gym turned out to be Bug? Turning around the old starter-type favourism would be nice. ^^

Charon

unscrupulous~
    Years
    Kazeto Tamashii has a very good point, as does Alter. However, I can't help thinking they will choose a 'neutral' type - you know, a type that Fire, Water and Grass will be neither strong nor weak against.
    I don't think Ground will be the first badge, as we've already had Brock and Roxanne. I traditionally go for grass types and it almost takes the challenge out of the first 'arc'.
    I hope there isn't a Poison gym in the 7th or 8th position, as I tend to build my 'later-in-the-game' team around one poison type. Normally a crobat. Or an Arbok. Or an Ariados. Because they're AWESOME. Anyway.... In all honesty, I don't think I'd really care, but as Alter says, there better be a dark type gym!

Pika_blue

Cipher ***** Gorigan HATER
    Years
    I will post the Gym and Pokemon:

1. Normal:
    Munchlax
    Skitty
    Meowth

2. Fire
    Ponyta
    Houndour
    Gorwlith

3. Bug
    Butterfree
    Beedirll
    Pinsir
    Scyther

4. Rock
    Bonsly
    Gravellar x2
    Onix

5. Grass + Poison

Ivysaur
    Vileplume
    Arbok
    Tangela
    Weezing

6. Steel

Steelix
    Magneton
    Skamory
    Mawille
    Metagross

7. Dark

Umbreon
    Houndoom
    Manyula
    Absol
    Shiftree
    Tyranitar

8. Dragon

Kingdra
    Salamence
    Flygon
    Altaria
    Dragonite

Then, once you have beaten the elite four, you can challenge four 'Theme' gyms, made to different styles. Here are my ideas:

1. Cuties but powerfulies:

Delcatty
    Milotic
    Wigglytuff
    Jynx
    Lapras
    Meganium

2. Attack>Defence

Machamp
    Hariyama
    Breloom
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmonchan
    Hitmontop

3. Attack<Defence

Metagross
    Dusclops
    Blissey
    Torkoal
    Omastar
    Aagron

4. LEGENDERIES!!!!!

Lucario
    Regice
    Deoxys
    Regsteel
    Celebi
    Regirock

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    In all honesty, I never really noticed when it came to what TMs were being handed out, but yes, considering the fact that the TM/HM list changes every generation, it's hard to put that into the equation. (And in that case, I foresee a great return of... Mud-Slap. Or a similar move. Either way, really, I don't know what made Falkner believe that Flying-types = Ground-type TM, but eh. I digress.)

Also...

Alter Ego said:
    Also, I notice that this far the Fire type has yet to be favoured as a start out,

I don't know. I've always considered Johto to be easier on Fire-types. After all, Cyndaquil doesn't really hit any problems until Whitney and her love for Rollout, and even before and after that, there's a handful of Gym Leaders that are neutral to Fire-type moves if they don't right-out bow to the might of Ember. (Bugsy and Jasmine for the latter and everyone but Pryce's Dewgong and Clair for the former.) And then, of course, you get into Kanto, but I'm not really counting that.

Dark (Do you realize that there hasn't been a single Dark type gym in any of the pokémon games? Tis' an outrage, I say! An outrage! xO)

Yes!

Okay, so they got a couple of Elite members, but that's not the same!

Incidentally, wouldn't it be a nice twist if the first gym turned out to be Bug? Turning around the old starter-type favourism would be nice. ^^

I'd find it a bit more amusing if the last Gym was Bug, but yeah, that'd be fun. ^_^

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Yeah, that would be weird.

I doubt there'll ever be a Dragon gym again, since Dragon types are usually reserved for the E4. There does need to be more love for a Dark gym, and a Poison Gym.

My theory is this, since they like to add TM moves as well, here goes:

1: Flying, TM Aerial Ace
    2: Rock, TM Rock Tomb
    3: Bug, TM Silver Wind
    4: Fighting, TM Brick Break
    5: Poison, TM Toxic
    6: Dark, TM Crunch
    7: Fire, TM Overheat
    8: Water, TM Water Pulse

Just my coupla coins

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    I dunno about that. Even with a single type, there is enough variety among them. Look at the 'Rock' gyms for example, they often have Ground types among them to compensate. There's only three main groups of Ground/Water types anyway (Barboach/Whiscash, Wooper/Quagsire, Mudkip line), that group would be limited in what they could do anyway (besides all three falling to a quick Grass move).

Let's stick with single-type gyms, it would just be too limited trying to add a second type.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Or maybe they could start by having the following. These are examples not ideas well they are ideas kind of

Gym 1: Defense (Pokemon with high defenses)
    Gym 2: Attack (Pokemon with high attack)
    Gym 3: Speed (Pokemon with high speeds)
    Well you get the point

:t094:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Back