• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Gyms or Trials?

Trials or Gyms?

• Trials

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Gyms

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

Rinkoou

Awful-Pun Master
Years
  • So I'm making a game and since Trials are a new thing, I was thinking about adding them into my game, but gyms are important too, so I'm doing a poll. Would you like gyms or trials?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I say both, as Alola is adding trials as a storyline narrative by the look of things, where gyms almost became secondary ever since the 3rd gen games due to storyline matters.Also the trials in Sun/Moon are to reference hawaiian culture. We're not sure if thats gonna replace gyms or not yet.

Years
  • Don't do a thing just because Game Freak does a thing. Trials are geared toward their region and lore, which they've put a lot of time and thought into. Do what makes sense for your region and story, rather than just trying to keep up. Fan games are fun because they allow us to do different things than official games do.

WriterRaven

I Illustrate Through Words
    Years
  • Instead of asking what everyone else wants from your game, I think you need to ask yourself what kind of story and setting you want to show us. From there you can decide what elements you want to include to progress both the story and the gameplay.

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • I personally do welcome trials in a sense that Pokemon are more than just battles, it let us interact more, but it'll be less thrilling than a gym battle. Sun/Moon trials may look easy (it was supposed to since its target audience are young kids anyway). A combination of trials and gyms will be very fun for sure. After done a certain task or quest, you'll get the right to challenge the gym leader/trial captain. And of course, for fangames it's easy to design a decent to very hard trials

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2019
    I really love gym battles but actually trials would make your game innovator.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Don't do a thing just because Game Freak does a thing. Trials are geared toward their region and lore, which they've put a lot of time and thought into. Do what makes sense for your region and story, rather than just trying to keep up. Fan games are fun because they allow us to do different things than official games do.
    What this mans says

Shin-Rn

Fan game developer/Concept Artist.
    Years
  • In our game, were kind of doing a combination of the two.

You have to perform challenges, defeat the gym leader, and then earn the badge.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Some of the trials in S/M were trash, be cool to see what the fan games community can come up with.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Trials are supposed to be an Alola exclusive, so a gym/trial combination would work in my opinion. So maybe something that starts off as how a trial would be and ending with a Gym battle rather than a Totem battle, I found most of those underwhelming and easy.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I mean they're basically the same thing.

Years
  • Answer is simple because island challenge more traditional think for region like alola and orange insland an archipelago that why it name was Island challenge!
    And gym system is more likely for a metroplitan region.for example unova and kalos.
    So it upto you which kind of region was in your game!

FloofyIncineroar

The fluffiest giant kitty.
    Years
  • While I did enjoy the trials in Pokemon Sun and Moon, those seem to be specific to the Alola region only. I would prefer it if Game Freak continues to do something different from just battling Gym Leaders, but Gyms make a lot more sense for the other regions, as they're all League-centric.

Back