• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest rom hacking skill

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
Years
  • OW Spriting takes time, but I'm really creative and enjoy spriting so it is quite easy. But no matter how many tutorials I go through I cannot script to save my life.

pokemon heart gold

The Remake of Pokemon Gold!
    Years
  • Everyone is different, some people find scripting easy, some people think mapping is easy. Everyone's different and there is no hardest skill because of this fact. I think mapping and making custom sprites are easy, but when it comes to scripting I just completely no good at it. While some people are like "how can people have trouble with scripting it's totally easy!" It all depends on what you like and what you think is hard. So in my opinion there is no "hardest" skill.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    For me, it's definitely ASM and mapping. I can understand a fair amount of scripting, and music insertion is okay (composition, on the other hand, is Kaizo-hard) but anything that requires that skill called "art" is beyond me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    First of all, people need to stop splitting hairs over what is or is not "hacking". It's pretty obvious from the OP's own post that they meant for this to apply to all aspects of the process. You are making a ROM hack, thus whatever you do to make it, is a part of the "hacking" process, yes?

That being said, I'm surprised at all this "graphics vs. code" nonsense. The hardest part of making a ROM hack, in my humble opinion, is the designing. When you plan out the hack, you must do far more work than at any other step, and oftentimes redo your work over and over. Scripts are made and work, sprites are drawn and look good, but designs are constantly reworked throughout the process. Not only that, but design requires an understanding of all the other parts of the hack, good writing skills, a sense of storytelling, and so much more. While other aspects of the hack require only one skill, a designer must be a Jack-of-all-trades, an artist and a scholar who not only lays detailed plans, but also spends hours in research to make certain that one's ideas can be implemented within the framework of the game you are hacking. At times, this can mean reworking hours or even weeks of planned content to accommodate that one feature that you can't make work quite how you planned it. Not to mention the people skills you need if you're part of a team.

Paper Mario

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Home
    • Seen Mar 22, 2022
    I think the hardest part is spriting and creating tiles, mainly because if you don't know how to script or ASM you can learn it. Spriting is art, if you haven't artistic skills there is NO way you can learn how to sprite, like learning how to draw good as well

Last edited:

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • I consider myself a relatively good scripter, because I think in a logical and efficient fashion that makes it easy for me. However, I am by no means artistic, so any form of spriting is my downfall. The most I can do on my own is palette editing.

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I'm great at mapping and can do a small amount of scripting but today I found my downfall. I tried inserting Electivire's sprites and completely failed. I have no clue why it messed up. I followed instructions but still messed up. So now I gotta find someone to help replace the Kecleon sprites in either FR or LG.

TheRichar

Check my Thread :3
    Years
  • well, I dont know why, but I just, CANT learn scripting! I've really try but always mess it up, I could so almost everything expet for that (and good mapping, at least acceptable)

Back