• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which Gym Leader gave the hardest challenge for you?

• Total voters

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Elesa was pretty tough because of her Pokemon outsped mine (though I used Sawk's Low Sweep to slow Zebstrika down). Because I had Sandile up front, the Emolga spammed Aerial Ace. Luckily, I managed to land a critical hit on the first Emolga with Sandile's Crunch, KOing it.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I found elesa hardest to beat cause i didnt wanna hurt her pokemon :/ but on a serious note she was still the hardest havin started off with oshawott.

Legion_oG

Original Gamer
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    Well all gym leaders took one try like usual. i think elesa was the hardest one she was the only one who had a chance against me. i didnt use healing

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    Elesa was a right pain in the butt. Stupid Volt-Switching Emolgas almost fainted my Boldore before I could do anything, luckily I had Smack Down and a Krokorok in back waiting for the freedom to strike.

Lenora was annoying too, but not quite so much as Elesa. Everyone else was a breeze...Iris was laughably stupid and constantly used Dragon Dance while my Samurott surfed her Pokemon to death :P.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
    Volt Switch was evil, but i got swept by a Hone Claws Excadrill from Clay.

The only leader I had any trouble with at all was Clay, and that's because I was smart enough to challenge him with no healing items at all. XD The rest of them were astoundingly easy, even Lenora. There are plenty of Fighting-types around, guys. :(
    the main problem people had was Confuse Ray and Hypnosis.

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    None of them were hard... by the time I got to burgh, my pokemon were constantly overleveled by 5-10 levels so even elesa didn't give me the slightest trouble... lenora's watchog was the closest to bringing me down completely, but it wasn't a frustrating battle either.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    OMG LENORA THAT B--

LOL!

Lenora was very difficult for the second gym. My pokemon were only around Lvl 15 and hers were at least Lvl 20. I had more trouble with Clay though. For some reason, not even my Dewott could beat his Exudrill!

stepher

Real life trainer
    Years
    Elesa was hardest in my opinion.My Dewott was useless my rogenrolla wasn't immune to electricity so i had to use sandile who by the way is a rather weak for ground type in my opinion.Darumaka for the win.

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
    Years
    Elesa was really hard for me, as I couldn't be stuffed catching (and training) a Sandile.

Everyone seemed to have trouble with Lenora: I was smart and used Flame Charge with my Pignite on Herdier. Then Watchog wasn't fast enough to get me with Retalliation, and was OHKO'd by Arm Thrust.

poke4869

water pokemon maniac!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    DRAYDEN! i spent 3 hours thinking of strategies to defeat him and finally i got it!
    i teach my samurott blizzard and it works ;)

Aura Rift

Mantle of flame
    Years
    Elisa! God damn woman with her volt switching emolgas drove me mad. However a noble sacrifice from my Musharna saved me and let me win on my first time, and that was the same result for everything, beat all of them on my first try & I found Leonara & Clay really, really easy :). and then when Elisa gives you the Volt switch TM I was OMG OMG OMG YAAAAAAAY and I used it on my Joltik as soon as I caught (who is now BTW a healthy Garvantula :P)

FangedFreak

Ace Trainer
    Years
    Is it bad that i havent found any hard? I've done 7/8 so far and just about to get to Opelucid City

Brycen was mega easy.. i pwned all his ice pokemon with my Emboar.. got a perfect match without a single hit :D

As for the other Gym leaders, just pwned them with my Emboar too.. easy! :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2011
    Hm I'm going to go with Lenora. I had to grind abit, that early in the game so my Pokemon would be at reasonable levels. I had trouble with her Watchog, since it used Hypnosis (it was pretty fast) and then could ko my team with Retaliate or Crunch. At that time in the game, I consider Watchog a "tough" Pokemon, because it evolves and learns stronger techniques earlier.

TTC

Tommy The Cat
    Years
    I'm not actually certain of their names, but I had the most trouble with the first gym leader simply due to levels. After that, I naturally started to pull way ahead of everyone I faced without even spending any time grinding at all. Especially once the lucky egg was given out for free.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2011
    The only leader I had any trouble with at all was Clay, and that's because I was smart enough to challenge him with no healing items at all. XD The rest of them were astoundingly easy, even Lenora. There are plenty of Fighting-types around, guys. :(

I never use healing items in battle. I managed to beat Cynthia with lvls 45-50 and only one pokemon fainted.

I like to mix and match for at least a challenge and not killing things in one hit. My worst (so far) is Elesa. Half of my pokemon at the time weren't electric friendly, which made them not fit for her volt switch... :/

Luckily, my Emolga's static helped out on one of my tries. :)
    -----------
    Lenora was my easiest. My Oshawott was a beast against her. :3

Back