• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Has your internal battery died yet?

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
    I got silver, gold and crystal. the batties in them is mostly ran out. ocasionlly it would save and then i check on it again, my save file is not there.

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
    All my batteries are gone. My gold, my other gold, my silver, and my two crystals are all drained out.

The internal battery only lasts 7 years, and since the game came out 8 years ago, it's no surprise.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    I haven't tried to play my Silver or Crystal for a while..
    I'm a little scared to, because I don't want to turn it on and see that all my information is lost.
    I had to restart my silver once, because my cousin played and saved over it, which really made me mad.
    But losing everything that I had to redo?
    I have so many lv. 100 pokemon on that and I've beaten Red and all that.
    I cherish my Pokemon.
    Crystal, I don't think I've gotten quite that far.. meh.

My Gold, however, is dead.
    Which, I don't entirely understand because I bought it brand new, AFTER Silver, and I didn't play it NEARLY as much as Silver.
    However.. my friend who also had Gold, and only Gold, had left his game at my house..
    So it's possible that the Gold I try to play is actually his, and that mine is literally lost somewhere..
    Which still makes me sad...

Meh.
    Emulation can fix that problem to an extent I suppose. :P
    If one is willing to start over.

Years
    I haven't played my Silver version in a while, but the last time I checked, it worked fine. Same for Crystal.

My Gold version died a long time ago; almost 2-3 years now. I don't have the slightest clue how to replace the battery myself, and all the gaming/electronic stores I ask about it act like I'm crazy for suggesting such a thing. Eventually, I'm going to buy a brand-new factory sealed copy off of eBay or Amazon; thing is, I need to find $100 to shell out for it. It's extremely overpriced, yes, but I'd like to have working copies of all three games, since they are definitly my favorite three in the series (and even though emulation and roms are free, nothing beats playing games on the original systems they were created for).

It's too bad about the battery problem, because otherwise, the 2nd gen is pretty much perfect (in my opinion, anyways).

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
    Pokemon silver, Pokemon emerald, Pokemon red, Pokemon blue.

I had to buy crystal from one of the shops but two hours later the internal battery was dead and i lost the reciept so no refund there.

My new silver from a local gameshop has some minor problems when loading, sometimes poses glitches and they dont sell those types of games anymore. Lol before it loaded up half the start screen posing Lugia and the otherhalf was blank with green dots.

KiraIchigo

Death is only the begining
    Years
    I bought PKMN Crystal when I 6. Then My brother played it a year later and saved over my file which had my PKMN team ever. I started over, Saved agian, The next day It wouldn't save anymore. I blamed my brother untill I found out about the Battery. I still haven't replaced it yet :(

Pingouin_7

I can't imagine all the problems people will have when their Pokémon Diamond and Pearl games Internal Batteries start to die.

Looking at my Diamond cartridge, It looks like something you wouldn't want to open unless you were really desperate to fix... It has no screws. Looks like when the internal battery runs out. Your screwed. Buy a new copy. But thats just my guess.

Lets hope it dosen't happen for a very long time..

There's no battery in a DS game... -_-

The save file stopped being stored in a battery since GBA generation, and tell me if you ever find a battery that could fit in a DS game.

Demeter

Obsessed Band Nerd
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 22, 2023
    My Blue and Silver work fine.:) Does the battery run out only if you play the game a lot? I've had the games since 2005. I can't imagine losing my Typhsion.:(

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    replacing the internal batteries is very easy, and to prevent your save from being lost you can buy a mega memory card from ebay for $2 and permanently back up your saves.

HeavensNightSH

Got Diamond Nov. 20
    Years
    :'( I didn't know that the games had internal batteries. That would explain why my silver and crystal don't have anything saved on them anymore. My level 100 Charizard :'( MY very first Pokemon. R.I.P.

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    Both my Gold and Crystal batteries have dried out. I even checked the Crystal one before I left the store (I had to get a new used one because I couldn't find my own at all, nor my Silver version) and it seemed fine. Now I can't save at all so the only way I can get my fill of Gen II is through emulation. A truly depressing turn of events. A Game Boy to carry around is much greater than a laptop to lug around.

Alex-the-Kitsune

Currently on fire
    Years
    ALL of my Pokemon games that my parents got me when I was a kid still save C:
    I still play my Gold just about every day. Now games a friend f mine gave me on the other hand~
    A few of those are dead :C
    But gee, over six years and still workin great |3

Tentachu

Movie Making Expert
    Years
    Yeah, my Gold died. I managed to replace the battery without soldering by sliding the old battery out, but then the metal bit that goes across it got damaged, so I had to tape the hell out of it. Believe it or not, it works brilliantly now, although I definitely would not recommend this method.

Years
    I've never had any issues with my GSC games. They still work even though they're pretty old.

Oh, and my RBY games as well. They still work too.

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
    Years
    My games work just fine, I think. I thought there might be something wrong with my Silver because I remember having an issue with it, but apparently it works just fine. As do all my other games I think.

pm_41

Gone and grown up
    Years
    ...So that's why all my GBC save files were mysteriously deleted...Oh Well...At least I had fun while they lasted...

My only regret is losing my lv 100 Pigeot (my first real Pokemon...) :(

Pingouin_7

My friend gave me a Blue version Yesterday; It works fine.

Back