• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever had a "Dumb Luck" catch?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • Have you ever caught a Pokemon with pure "Dumb Luck?" By this, I mean catching a normally hard-to-catch Pokemon rather easily. Examples would be catching a legendary with a Poke Ball at full health, finding a shiny legendary in a small number of tries, or quickly finding a Pokemon in an area where it has only a 1% encounter ratio. One dumb luck catch I had was in Crystal, when I was actually attempting to encounter Raikou for the first time (he was not in my Pokedex as seen yet), I found him on the first encounter of the first patch of grass I tried. And what more? I caught him in a regular Poke Ball on that encounter without doing anything to him. The odds of that catch being successful are 0.4%, so I'd call that dumb luck.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2014
    Me. Virizion. 48/50 Health. DARN ORDINARY POKé BALL!!!!!
    I didn't nickname it anything.
    But here's the thing:
    In the middle of the throw, when the Poké Ball was above your Pokémon's head, the whole animation started over. I was like "Critical capture, baby!" It wasn't.
    Then, I got a Smeargle and a Pansage with REAL critical captures. In ultra balls. It call that dumb meanNintendoness.
    lol

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I tried catching legendary Pokemon with ordinary Poke Balls a few times, and it worked only a few times (Moltres, Virizion, Terrakion; reset on the latter two). I even threw a Great Ball at Cobalion for kicks, and surprisingly, I caught it on the first try.

xeyj

Dark Type Enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I caught Regigigas and Giratina with a Net Ball, First turn on my Diamond

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • In Soul Silver I came across Entei and pegged an Ultra Ball at it, not thinking it'd ever work. Then it did!

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Cobalion in a net ball, why I even threw that ball is beyond me. O.o

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    My Regice in Platinum Version was shiny after just one reset (I accidentally fainted it the first time, so I wasn't even trying for shiny) and I caught it at full health in a Heal Ball.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Entei at full hp in a Fast Ball. Then Raikou, after weakening (one hit and let it run weakening, not trapping it), only took two Fast Balls.
    But the latter was skill.

I also caught Reshiram in my fifth Poké Ball, which was pretty cool, as it'd just taken out Samurott so I had no resistance to any of its' attacks (except Zoroark's immunity to Extrasensory, but Zoroark is uber-frail anyway).

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Entei at full hp in a Fast Ball. Then Raikou, after weakening (one hit and let it run weakening, not trapping it), only took two Fast Balls.
    But the latter was skill.

I also caught Reshiram in my fifth Poké Ball, which was pretty cool, as it'd just taken out Samurott so I had no resistance to any of its' attacks (except Zoroark's immunity to Extrasensory, but Zoroark is uber-frail anyway).
    It's actually not too hard to catch Reshiram and Zekrom because they have a catch rate of 45, as opposed to the usual 3. This was probably intended to make them easier to catch as an element of the story.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • I once captured a Mew with just a pokeball. I think it was on Firered...i'm not sure any more...it was such a long time ago, what was I? like, 9?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Quite a few times actually. In my Gold game I managed to catch Entei when I first encountered it with a Pokeball. I was surprised to say the least.

Years
  • I've caught the Sky Pillar Rayquazza with a Timer Ball, it may have been the 2000th turn, but I still consider it a lucky catch. Aside from that, I've caught Raikou with a Fast Ball on the first turn of battle and Zapdos with a Great Ball.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I've caught the Sky Pillar Rayquazza with a Timer Ball, it may have been the 2000th turn, but I still consider it a lucky catch. Aside from that, I've caught Raikou with a Fast Ball on the first turn of battle and Zapdos with a Great Ball.
    The Timer Ball actually reaches maximum effectiveness at 30 turns, and doesn't get any better after that. They changed the way it improves in Gen 5, but it's more or less the same.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I reset the game about two times because I ran out of Ultra Balls and such against Regigigas. So it's my third time trying, and I'm downstairs trying to fix up some dinner. I'm also getting close to a fourth reset. But I throw a...I want to say a Nest or Net Ball and I set the game down and then my brother looks at it and he's like "hey you got it!" So yeah. If I don't pay attention, I'll get the Pokemon. That must be it. lol

Back