• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hello PC, I need a new PC (laptop)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This kind of thread can go here, right Zach? :p

I'm on the lookout for a new laptop and my head is spinning from all I've read online lately, phew. Since I don't feel like signing up for some techy message board just to ask there, I thought maybe PC (pokecommunity that is, heheh) knows some of the stuff I'm still unsure of!

Situation: For years now I have only had a laptop, no stationary computer. I'm not playing games super often (but my requirement for this new one is that I shall at least be able to run Skyrim on medium/low settings!), I enjoy sitting in several different places in my home and I need to bring my computer to work now and then so I feel like a single laptop is the way to go for me, considering I don't exactly have the money for more computers either. So with that in mind, here are some things I'm wondering about...

1) is core i7 really noticeably better than core i5? When casually working? When gaming?

2) is it smarter to buy a laptop that is considered pretty great today and try to make it work for at least 5 years, or buy a cheaper model and change it up in 2-3 years time? I've kind of done that with my last two laptops, without planning for it...

3) is there any brand you particularly would recommend? :) I've had a HP and Asus before and have been looking mostly at Lenovo or Asus models now.

4) is 1336x768 a totally outdated resolution now so that I should aim for the next step up with a 15" screen? Currently I have 1336x768 on 15 screen and love it and think larger resolutions make things look to small :p but that might just be another thing I'd get used to.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Are you under a budget? Do looks matter?

1) i7 utilises multi-threaded tasks (video editing, graphics-intensive work, intensive gaming) better (multitasking) . There really isn't a significant increase in performance but the i7 remains better for future proofing.

3) Brands I'd personally recommend are Dell, Lenovo, and MSI.

4) Probably. 1080p FHD display is probably a safe bet for a few more years. 3K/4K resolutions on 15' laptops aren't exactly worth it and just add unnecessary heat to your machine.

I currently have an almost year old Dell XPS 15 Ultrabook (runs most games on medium to high settings excellently), and have just bought a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro (which you could get for under $1800 and will last you at least 3 years). I'd recommend either but if price isn't really an issue, I can recommend more.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Are you under a budget? Do looks matter?

1) i7 utilises multi-threaded tasks (video editing, graphics-intensive work, intensive gaming) better (multitasking) . There really isn't a significant increase in performance but the i7 remains better for future proofing.

3) Brands I'd personally recommend are Dell, Lenovo, and MSI.

4) Probably. 1080p FHD display is probably a safe bet for a few more years. 3K/4K resolutions on 15' laptops aren't exactly worth it and just add unnecessary heat to your machine.

I currently have an almost year old Dell XPS 15 Ultrabook (runs most games on medium to high settings excellently), and have just bought a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro (which you could get for under $1800 and will last you at least 3 years). I'd recommend either but if price isn't really an issue, I can recommend more.
    Yikes, actually both of those are way too expensive for me. But in general it seems computers are pretty expensive in Sweden. I found that MSI one for 2300 dollars.

Years
  • I personally think Toshiba is a good brand as well; have you tried looking at those? If there's one thing that would absolutely steer me away from Toshiba, it'd be the amount of bloatware placed onto the computer. However, bloatware can be easily removed.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    This kind of thread can go here, right Zach? :p

I'm on the lookout for a new laptop and my head is spinning from all I've read online lately, phew. Since I don't feel like signing up for some techy message board just to ask there, I thought maybe PC (pokecommunity that is, heheh) knows some of the stuff I'm still unsure of!

Situation: For years now I have only had a laptop, no stationary computer. I'm not playing games super often (but my requirement for this new one is that I shall at least be able to run Skyrim on medium/low settings!), I enjoy sitting in several different places in my home and I need to bring my computer to work now and then so I feel like a single laptop is the way to go for me, considering I don't exactly have the money for more computers either. So with that in mind, here are some things I'm wondering about...

1) is core i7 really noticeably better than core i5? When casually working? When gaming?

2) is it smarter to buy a laptop that is considered pretty great today and try to make it work for at least 5 years, or buy a cheaper model and change it up in 2-3 years time? I've kind of done that with my last two laptops, without planning for it...

3) is there any brand you particularly would recommend? :) I've had a HP and Asus before and have been looking mostly at Lenovo or Asus models now.

4) is 1336x768 a totally outdated resolution now so that I should aim for the next step up with a 15" screen? Currently I have 1336x768 on 15 screen and love it and think larger resolutions make things look to small :p but that might just be another thing I'd get used to.

1) Not all Core i7s are made equal in the world of laptops. There do exist dual-core i7s when we're talking about laptops. For most purposes, an i5 is more than adequate, ultra-low voltage or not. (It's probably a good idea to get something that's standard voltage if you value gaming performance more than battery life, even though the ULV chips are fast enough. (They have more TDP headroom.)

2) Don't get a bottom-of-the-barrel laptop, and you should be able to have a laptop that runs fine for about three years, perhaps more. Seeing as you're debating between an i5 and an i7, I'll assume that your laptop is more than halfway decent, graphics notwithstanding.

3) I like Asus laptops, gaming, personal, or commercial. But don't let me influence you too much on your brand decision. As long as you promise not to use an Apple laptop as a Windows laptop more than an OS X laptop or get an Acer or HP, well, yeah.

4) Windows DPI scaling doesn't seem to have enough support with third party apps. 1366x768 is actually pretty darned fine when you consider that 100% DPI scaling is probably going to stay for quite a while. If you really need more resolution, go no higher than 1920x1080, or you'll really need DPI scaling to have things stay visible...and some apps won't play well with it.

Speaking of Skyrim, I think pretty much everything can run it these days. Even an Intel HD 4000 should run it fine enough at medium settings at 768p, and that's a last-gen integrated chip. I still suggest that you get a system with some kind of NVIDIA graphics inside (of at least x30) with Optimus so that you can play everything, at least in HD resolutions and if not a current-gen Ubisoft port. I kid, I kid.

Years
  • Here's a laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317538

It's a Lenovo laptop that costs around $1000, and should be able to handle Skyrim on medium settings. (By rights, it should run it on the highest settings, but no promises here.)

Edit: Nevermind, it seems as if I forgot to convert the money to Swedish currency. (It'd be around $7437.00, which would be over your budget I think)

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Here's a laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317538

It's a Lenovo laptop that costs around $1000, and should be able to handle Skyrim on medium settings. (By rights, it should run it on the highest settings, but no promises here.)

Edit: Nevermind, it seems as if I forgot to convert the money to Swedish currency. (It'd be around $7437.00, which would be over your budget I think)
    Actually, that looks quite perfect :o I've been looking at rather slim laptops and that one certainly seems slim enough. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Years
  • Actually, that looks quite perfect :o I've been looking at rather slim laptops and that one certainly seems slim enough. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Well if you want something just a bit cheaper I can find you something that's slightly less powerful but still decent enough for Skyrim.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I suspect the Lenovo might be just the thing for you in pretty much every respect, and bonus points for not having a desktop computer.

If you're thinking of something else, feel free to give me a holler.

Back