• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Even if you think you cant beat Lance, you should still try. I tried and failed 5 times before I finally figured a strategy around him, and then I finally beat him. It was close, but I still did. If you think you will fail, 9 times out of 10 you will. Instead, think you can win, and you most likely shall. Even if you dont beat him for 50 times, you can at least train on the E4 and his Pokes so youll at least grow stronger ^_^. Never give up! Also, I think it would be best if you got a team you think would work out, then try Lance and the E4 out, and tweak it from there. We can help, but your the one who is battling Lance, everyones strategies and way of thinking is different, so find a way that works best for you ;).

Years
    Even if you can't beat the elite 4 + Lance, your pokemon will be still gaining level up and gaining EXP, which will help you raise your pokemon.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Okay quick question, what team would be good for beating up Red and his team? Currently getting my Lugia and Typhlosion to Lv. 90 because he scares the crap outta me, but what other Pokes should I use? I know im probably going to use a Tyrannitar, level it up to about 80, but what else would be good?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Okay quick question, what team would be good for beating up Red and his team? Currently getting my Lugia and Typhlosion to Lv. 90 because he scares the crap outta me, but what other Pokes should I use? I know im probably going to use a Tyrannitar, level it up to about 80, but what else would be good?

Well, first of all, a simple wild Level 41+ Graveler, will be able to defeat Pikachu, believe me, I've done it. n___n

Typhlosion can easily take care of Venusaur and maybe Snorlax. [Depending on Moves]

Lugia will take care of Charizard. Which just leaves, Lapras and Blastoise, I'd go for an Electric type such as Zapdos or another legend, Raikou for instance, you'll be able to beat Red easily as long as your levels are 75+ n___n

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Which is better to use as a Psychic type Pokemon, Mewtwo or Lugia? I dont want to get Mewtwo and then train him up to Lv. 100 just to find out Lugia is better, nor do I want to train Lugia up to 100 to find out Mewtwo is better. Thanks ;)

EDIT: Or should I find a different Psychic type to use? :O

Last edited:

Perriechu

Years
    Which is better to use as a Psychic type Pokemon, Mewtwo or Lugia? I dont want to get Mewtwo and then train him up to Lv. 100 just to find out Lugia is better, nor do I want to train Lugia up to 100 to find out Mewtwo is better. Thanks ;)

Offensively Mewtwo dominates, whilst Lugia owns the defensive side, you're not gonna get better Psychic's that these two.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years

I would choose alakazam. Then you wouldn't need to switch for non- uber battles. Looking at your team in your sig, id say lugia. You dont have a water type yet. either way, both are awesome.

EDIT: Sorry, lugia is psychic/flying... but can still use water type attacks.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Looking at your team in your sig, id say lugia. You dont have a water type yet
    I must protest, as Lugia is not a water type(Psychic/Flying, yo). =p

Personally? If you don't mind using legendaries (and don't plan to use them in competitive where they are in their own tiers due to being overpowered), go for the one you like more imo as they're both great. If you want a non-legnd, Alakazam is pretty good as mentioned but you need to trade to evolve it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Ah I see..Thanks, im going with Mewtwo :D. Also, where can I get a Lucky Egg? Is it not available in HG/SS? Or do I need to trade it from another game?
    Only in B/W does one get given the Lucky Egg item directly - in every other game including HGSS they're only held items on the occasional Chansey.

(As a beside you might want to fix your signature there, it might be a bit too tall with the sprites like that. =p)

Years
    To add on to what BnB said, you can obtain a Lucky Egg by completing the Lucky Egg Quest in Pokemon XD, and proceeding to give it to one of your Pokemon in XD, trading it to a 3rd Gen Game and then migrating that Pokemon to HG/SS.

Years
    I have a question. When I put my ev trained pokemon in the daycare to breed the with the pokemon. Will that ev pokemon gain evs or no. I also made a copy of my pokemon just incase it does.

Perriechu

Years
    I have a question. When I put my ev trained pokemon in the daycare to breed the with the pokemon. Will that ev pokemon gain evs or no. I also made a copy of my pokemon just incase it does.

Nope. Ev's can only be obtained by defeating Wild Pokemon (Or using the energy drinks) So you can be at ease about your Pokemon in the daycare. :]

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
    Question!
    What is the first fire pokemon you can catch in pokemon soul silver? I restarted, and have no fire yet. Or if that first poke sucks, the second?

Perriechu

Years
    Question!
    What is the first fire pokemon you can catch in pokemon soul silver? I restarted, and have no fire yet. Or if that first poke sucks, the second?

Vulpix and Growlithe are the first two you can catch, but since you're using Soul Silver it'll be Vulpix. Magmar is the second one you can catch.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    A few questions...

First: Where can I get a Pikachu? I heard somewhere you can get it by headbutting trees...But I dont know where, nor do I know if this is true or not.

Second: Is Pikachu a good choice for an Electric type? Is there any other good ones? Ive also heard Amphoros..

Third: I have a Tyranitar, and I was wondering what its strengths and weaknesses are (It is a Dark/Rock type..If that helps) Like, what types its strong against and a good moveset for it would be awesome :D.

Thats all, thanks <3.

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
    Years
    A few questions...

First: Where can I get a Pikachu? I heard somewhere you can get it by headbutting trees...But I dont know where, nor do I know if this is true or not.

Second: Is Pikachu a good choice for an Electric type? Is there any other good ones? Ive also heard Amphoros..

Third: I have a Tyranitar, and I was wondering what its strengths and weaknesses are (It is a Dark/Rock type..If that helps) Like, what types its strong against and a good moveset for it would be awesome :D.

Thats all, thanks <3.

1st, pikachu is found in the varidian forest
    2nd, weather pikachu or ampharos is better is really up to you, try 'em both and see what you like better. if you can get a light ball and breed though, volt tackle ftw.
    3rd, tyranatar is weak against fighting and water most of all, but it's stats make up for fighting to a degree and it can learn thunder fang to combat water types.

earthquake
    crunch
    thunder fang
    and I'll leave the last one up to you

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    Please please please help us!!!

I am writing for my son Cody who is completely frustrated! I have tried my best to help him but we are totally stuck!

Cody is trying to get to his favorite Pokemon, Rayquaza. We have tried everything we have found online but still can not get the Jade Orb from Professor Oak. Cody has the Groudon from Soul Silver that his friend traded him and he has the Kyogre that he got with the blue Orb in Heart Gold. He doesn't have a red orb though. From what I've read online he has to bring both of these Pokemon to Oak and he will get the Jade Orb....but when he does this, there is no mention of the Jade Orb from Oak. What he gets is a message from Oak that basically says "That the red orb will make Groudon appear at the Embedded Tower. However, according to Mr. Pokemon Groudon does not show itself to trainers with Gold Hearts, but only to those with shinning silvers spirits. However if he manages to get a Groudon from the embedded tower to show both Legendary Pokemon to him and he will share the rest of the Hoenn Myth." He then asks how his Pokedex is coming along. Checks it...and then asks him if he has a fishing rod (He does!) And tells him there are only some Pokemon he can only catch by fishing.

?????????

What are we either missing....or doing wrong???

Not that it matters but Cody is autistic and is extremely fixated with Pokemon. So the fact that we can't figure this out is making him totally FLIP OUT!!!

Any help from ANYONE would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Cody & his Mum.

Pan

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2023
    Oh, that's odd. I'll try to help in any way I can..

You made sure that both Kyogre and Groudon were in your party when you spoke with the professor, right?

And that Groudon is definitely from a SoulSilver game, and not traded up from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald versions?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    Heyyyy....thanks for the reply!

Upon asking about the Groudon he traded for YES it was traded up from another version other than soulsilver. :( Soooo...can he get the Groudon he needs from Heartgold???

Also after looking up the Hoen Myth, I realized that he missed a part of the game and he is currently working on catching Latias after talking to Steven at Sylph Co. So thats keeping him busy. BUT will this have anything to do with the ultimate goal of getting to Rayquaza?

Thanks so much for your help so far...

What do you recommend next to get to Rayquaza? Does he have to get rid of Groudon that he has with him and go get the right one?

Back