• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ho-oh or Lugia?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I like both, but I've had a slight preference for Lugia for whatever reason ever since I first played Gold/Silver

Though I am I little sad that the sound effect and animation for Aeroblast has long not been what it was in Gen 2. Yeah, it was basically just slightly modified Hyper Beam, but that shit was sexy

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Lugia admittedly has the nicer design of the two, but I've always been partial to Ho-Oh—from its mysterious appearance in the first episode to defeating Red in Silver and my gamer cousin with one. It was my favorite Pokémon for some time.

Years
  • I always leaned to Ho-oh for whatever reason - think it's because Ho-oh feels more Asian inspired to me (even though is based off a phoenix from Greek mythology) and I just really am into Asian culture and architecture. Plus fire, neat.
    fire-bravos.gif

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • Although I have grown fonder of Ho-Oh over the years, Silver is the game I most played from those sets and I have fond memories attached to the original, so I feel sentimental towards Lugia.

Years
  • Lugia because of its design and the second movie being my favorite movie of the Pokemon series. Also I prefer the legendary birds over the legendary beasts. I wished they included the legendary type each legendary pokemon represented in their original games.

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
  • Think it's pretty obvious which one I prefer, ahaha. Lugia's just so cool. SoulSilver's still my favorite game.

Although I have to say that Ho-Oh does have the cooler shiny. I don't hate the pink, I just think more could've been done with Lugia's shiny.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • Eeermmmmmmmmmmm.

Ho-Oh did not grow on me over the years. I kid you not the legendary, at times, if I squint hard enough, reminds me of Johnny Bravo.

I'm all Lugia.

Years
  • i have to say, i've always held a preference for ho-oh! its design has always jumped out to me more than lugia's, i think. it may just be the fact that i played gold first, though!

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2023
    Lugia is my pick with more versatility. Though I could be wrong never finished HG or SS.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    They're still to this day my favourite duo of legendaries. I really enjoy how, for both of them, you need to get through an authentic maze: the Bell Tower for Ho-Oh and the Seafoam Islands for Lugia - fantastic signature places.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Ho-oh all the way. Both are awesome but I just love the fire-flying type. Also from the nostalgic factor of seeing Ho-oh in my very first episode of Pokemon I watched, I would have to choose him honestly above all (or most) other legendary Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    Design wise, probably Lugia, but it's close. I also have the Pokémon movie to thank for that. But I will say I much prefer Gold because I loved going through the tower. That felt epic.

Years
  • Ho-oh's design and theme are the reasons why I always preferred it over Lugia. Over the years however, I prefer Lugia a little more because it defines what a legendary pokemon should be. It slumbers at the bottom of the ocean and only comes out when necessary. It's an enormous pokemon with wings strong enough to cause storms. It's a psychic type because Lugia can telepathically communicate with humans, understanding them. The 2nd Pokemon movie, Power of the One, really helped establishing Lugia as a pokemon to be feared but also admired.

Not to say Ho-oh is terrible, I think Ho-oh has different strengths. Its rainbow colors are beautiful, it grants eternal happiness, and it is much easier to obtain, but Ho-oh comes off as more of a myth than a legend. In my opinion a myth is more fairy-tale like and usually has fortune associated with it, while a legend comes off as dramatic and sometimes menacing.

Back