• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Hopeless Pokémon Editor [alpha]

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024

The Hopeless Pokémon Editor

Greetings! Today I bring you the next installment in a series of tools that I am calling the "Hopeless Toolset", the Hopeless Pokémon Editor. I was pretty dissatisfied with the current tools, and as all of you know G3HS has stopped development, so I made my own. And yes, I implemented G3HS's Pokémon and evolution expanders in the tool as well (though I'm not sure if they work).

Features

• Base Stats. Editing
    • Evolution Editing
    • Attack Editing
    • TM & HM Compatibility Editing
    • Pokédex Data Editing
    • Footprint Editing (for real!)
    • Move Tutor Editing
    • Sprite Editing (including an .ini exporter for Wichu's Advanced Series)
    • Cry Editing (WIP)
    • Pokémon Expansion! (FireRed only)
    • Evolution Expansion! (FireRed only)
    • Safe repointing!
    • Special .ini stuff (you'll see what I mean)

Screens

Spoiler:
    (sorry I like Touhou Puppet Play)

Downloads

Download: Here
    Source: GitHub

Credits

The only credit I need to give is to karatekid who coded his expander for G3HS, which I ported to C#. And for his .ini.

Last edited:

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Wow this is awesome I'll wait for the Cry editor to be fully developed.. Those features look really nice! Thanks for making this!

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Wow! Another Hopeless tool! But it ain't hopeless, it is very hopeful LOL I'm guessing that this one would beat G3HS!

Will it support Jambo's move hack which the learnset table is three bytes per move and level (and with a terminator of 0000FF)?

In the Pokedex tab, I suggest an order editor (and also for Emerald to edit the regional/Hoenn dex order (both pokedex and summary)).

In the Evolution tab, I also suggest for the "evolves to" can also be picked by index number (it is because normal and mega or formes indexes both sharing the same name. Otherwise, it will register the first one).

I wish that this one would include a new Wichu importer (back at Wichu's editors, my only problem with those that it doesn't support repointing to 32MB areas unless I needed to do this hand in hand, changing pointers from 08 to 09. Dayum).

I can't wait for its release to be used. I'm really hyped! Haha! Alright! I'm really waiting. Keep it up Hopeless! You're one amazing person!

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Aww no Emerald expansion? Anyways this is looking really good so far, looking forward to seeing how this and the new D&D Pokemon Editor compete!

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    From your screens, you don't include a box for editing the final (unused) hword in the Evolution editor. However my Mega Evolution hack uses that to choose between Mega Evolution, Rayquaza's Evolution and Primal Reversion so I suggest you add it if you wish for it to be compatible. Also, don't use G3HS's ini for that because mine uses type 0xFE, and it is awkward to extend the array-like structure that G3HS uses. A key-value map might be better, but I'm not sure how tolerant ini's are to nesting (I've always seen it as an inferior format, but for some reason it has become the standard here).

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    1) Will you implement a habitat editor? This was in G3HS but it was a bit complicated to use, I'd like to see it streamlined a bit (preferably a dropdown menu but I'm not sure if that's doable easily)
    2) Does the sprite editor index your sprites automatically like A-series? It's probably the best thing about that tool, but it's literally the only tool that does it.
    3) Any plans for an export/import Pokemon feature? Particularly with stats, movesets and TMs. They take forever to edit and it would save a lot of time if you're moving Pokemon around.
    4) Not sure if it's just because it's WIP or not, but please let us change the offsets for cries. Once again, saves time and space if you're rearranging the dex (or if for some reason I don't want to insert the cry with your tool)
    5) editing positions for sprites would be nice, there's even a big space under the sprite editor for it :P

And since you're making a bunch of tools, have you considered combining them into one like what was planned for G3HS? Sorry for all the questions, just would like to see the best editor possible :)

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    You are doing an amazing job with this tool series, best of luck!

Wow this is awesome I'll wait for the Cry editor to be fully developed.. Those features look really nice! Thanks for making this!

This tool is really great.I can't wait to dowload it.♥

This looks awesome! Thanks for making a tool like this!

Thanks for the support! :)

Wow! Another Hopeless tool! But it ain't hopeless, it is very hopeful LOL I'm guessing that this one would beat G3HS!

Will it support Jambo's move hack which the learnset table is three bytes per move and level (and with a terminator of 0000FF)?

In the Pokedex tab, I suggest an order editor (and also for Emerald to edit the regional/Hoenn dex order (both pokedex and summary)).

In the Evolution tab, I also suggest for the "evolves to" can also be picked by index number (it is because normal and mega or formes indexes both sharing the same name. Otherwise, it will register the first one).

I wish that this one would include a new Wichu importer (back at Wichu's editors, my only problem with those that it doesn't support repointing to 32MB areas unless I needed to do this hand in hand, changing pointers from 08 to 09. Dayum).

I can't wait for its release to be used. I'm really hyped! Haha! Alright! I'm really waiting. Keep it up Hopeless! You're one amazing person!

I'd like to include that, but I've only ever heard of Jambo's move hack. If you know where I can read some more about it that would be much appreciated.
    Editing the Pokédex Order is a bit more complicated than a lot of people seem to think, because you have to move more than just index numbers around. But I'm definitely planning on add an order editor.
    Adding selecting by index would be very easy to do for the evolution editor, so I'll look into it!
    Finally, I want to have a sprite importer one day but right now you'll have to stick with Advanced Series.

Aww no Emerald expansion? Anyways this is looking really good so far, looking forward to seeing how this and the new D&D Pokemon Editor compete!

Emerald expansion will come one day. ;)

From your screens, you don't include a box for editing the final (unused) hword in the Evolution editor. However my Mega Evolution hack uses that to choose between Mega Evolution, Rayquaza's Evolution and Primal Reversion so I suggest you add it if you wish for it to be compatible. Also, don't use G3HS's ini for that because mine uses type 0xFE, and it is awkward to extend the array-like structure that G3HS uses. A key-value map might be better, but I'm not sure how tolerant ini's are to nesting (I've always seen it as an inferior format, but for some reason it has become the standard here).

No problem. I'll add some stuff to edit the extra bytes. And I've got the .ini stuff down. It's not just a copy and paste of G3HS's version.

1) Will you implement a habitat editor? This was in G3HS but it was a bit complicated to use, I'd like to see it streamlined a bit (preferably a dropdown menu but I'm not sure if that's doable easily)
    2) Does the sprite editor index your sprites automatically like A-series? It's probably the best thing about that tool, but it's literally the only tool that does it.
    3) Any plans for an export/import Pokemon feature? Particularly with stats, movesets and TMs. They take forever to edit and it would save a lot of time if you're moving Pokemon around.
    4) Not sure if it's just because it's WIP or not, but please let us change the offsets for cries. Once again, saves time and space if you're rearranging the dex (or if for some reason I don't want to insert the cry with your tool)
    5) editing positions for sprites would be nice, there's even a big space under the sprite editor for it :P

And since you're making a bunch of tools, have you considered combining them into one like what was planned for G3HS? Sorry for all the questions, just would like to see the best editor possible :)

Habitat editing is planned, yes. Right now you can only view the sprites and export a new .ini if you've expanded the Pokémon for Advanced Series. An import/export feature would be cool, but you have to remember that each game has unique changes to Pokémon data that could screw up things if imported directly into another. That's more a final release type of thing, but is planned. And I left space for position editing, so that's planned too. :3

Thanks for all the support everyone! :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I'd like to include that, but I've only ever heard of Jambo's move hack. If you know where I can read some more about it that would be much appreciated.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479 here you go

Editing the Pokédex Order is a bit more complicated than a lot of people seem to think, because you have to move more than just index numbers around. But I'm definitely planning on add an order editor.

Why would it requires more than moving some index number around ? I did it manually and it worked perfectly, you just have to swap the description in the dex after that, but a simple copy/paste with your tool should be enough. For the footprint I don't know as I removed them

Emerald expansion will come one day. ;)

No problem. I'll add some stuff to edit the extra bytes. And I've got the .ini stuff down. It's not just a copy and paste of G3HS's version.

Great !

Keep going, that's awesome !

Oh and I have a request : We can edit pokemon name, name attacks, etc.

Would it be possible to edit abilities/description of the said abilities ? It's a pain to do it by hand when you want to implement all of them

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • The only real problem I have with this tool is the fact that it's Windows-only. If you don't want to write in a natively cross-platform language, there are things like Gtk# and Mono that you can work with in .NET to make Linux and OS X binaries of your program with.

Why do you use .NET, out of curiosity? I hope you're aware that Microsoft is only open-sourcing the .NET Core and is leaving it up to the community to port it... if cross-platform innovation is your reason. That is a bit of shaky ground.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    The only real problem I have with this tool is the fact that it's Windows-only. If you don't want to write in a natively cross-platform language, there are things like Gtk# and Mono that you can work with in .NET to make Linux and OS X binaries of your program with.

Why do you use .NET, out of curiosity? I hope you're aware that Microsoft is only open-sourcing the .NET Core and is leaving it up to the community to port it... if cross-platform innovation is your reason. That is a bit of shaky ground.

The answer is simple: I learned to program on .NET, so it's easiest for me to use. I'm all for using cross-platform stuff and the like, but it's easier for me to program in C# than anything else. I'm trying to learn other programming languages and methods, but I've been working on this for quite some time and I would appreciate it if you would quit griping about the way I've written it. The fact of the matter is that the majority of users still work on Windows anyway, so it's not that big of an issue at this time. Getting the program working for the majority is more of a priority than getting it working for the minority.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • The answer is simple: I learned to program on .NET, so it's easiest for me to use. I'm all for using cross-platform stuff and the like, but it's easier for me to program in C# than anything else. I'm trying to learn other programming languages and methods, but I've been working on this for quite some time and I would appreciate it if you would quit griping about the way I've written it. The fact of the matter is that the majority of users still work on Windows anyway, so it's not that big of an issue at this time. Getting the program working for the majority is more of a priority than getting it working for the minority.
    I'm not griping, I'm constructively criticizing, and there's a big difference. Good for you on learning how to program with .NET, that's where I started too, but...

I'd really have to disagree with you on the majority being more important than the minority, in respect to the ROM hacking dev base. Windows costs money, and those of us who buy Macs or use Linux (which is free) legally have to buy the operating system anyway and run it in a dual-boot/bootcamp/VM to use a lot of the tools made for ROM hacking, because like it or not they often don't work with WINE. It's a big problem for the rest of us because unless we have money for a product key (or are willing to break the law and pirate) we have no way to sufficiently ROM hack outside of doing mundane things like scripting and image insertion via a hex editor.

If I'm 100% honest with you, chances are other people (myself included) may very well end up implementing what you did over multiple platforms if you don't, so they'll easily claim that share of the market by virtue of sole availability. If you don't care and that sounds all fine and well, then whatever, but all I'm saying is if you want your tools to really succeed, they can't be bound to a single OS. That's the mission with MEH/BEH, among other projects.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Adding selecting by index would be very easy to do for the evolution editor, so I'll look into it!
    Finally, I want to have a sprite importer one day but right now you'll have to stick with Advanced Series.

I've got nothing more to say about it. Kleenexfeu already gave you the link. Or, again, here's the link: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479 (if you expecting replying directly from me haha). And, GBAPGE has that option if you are using the vanilla learnset format or Jambo's learnset format. I requested you to include that because MrDollSteak's upcoming Emerald rombase uses Jambo's format.
    I'm glad that you'll be able to add some. I can stick with Wichu's for a while.

Years
  • Once I've written up a habitat editor and finished the requested features, I will release it. Right now I'm in college, so I don't have a ton of time to dedicate, but I'm trying to get it out ASAP.

I feel you about college being really busy haha

I'm amazed you even have the time to work on this at all! Looks great though, can't wait to use it :)

Back