• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM Feb. 2011] Pokémon Grey [Beta 1 Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
Years
  • Update:
    It's been a long time but I have some screenies for all the fans out there.
    These images show the new rival.
    The Sprites might get tinkered a little but there pretty much complete.
    Enjoy!

[HotM Feb. 2011] Pokémon Grey [Beta 1 Released]

- Credits to Nika for the Overworld. (I'll edit it with full username later).

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Update:
    It's been a long time but I have some screenies for all the fans out there.
    These images show the new rival.
    The Sprites might get tinkered a little but there pretty much complete.
    Enjoy!

- Credits to Nika for the Overworld. (I'll edit it with full username later).

I really like the James sprite. I can see N in there but Idk who else makes him up lol. Looking forward to this one.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • I really like the James sprite. I can see N in there but Idk who else makes him up lol. Looking forward to this one.

Yeah, you're right, there is some N in there :-) If I'm honest I can't sprite from scratch so I built them from original ones.
    I'm glad you like it! Expect more updates soon. I've got MKSSB inserting a titlescreen music that I will show off later.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Update:

Yet again, I apologise for the rubbishness of my update.
    You may be thinking you've seen this before, but this is an edit of the Textbox I posted a few days ago.
    I realised that the textbox could be made smaller so it looks better.
    It's not 100% like the HGSS Textbox as the FR Textbox format restricts adding shading to the bottom.
    Also, if you look carefully the enviroment palettes have changed.
    I had a mess around and I found this looked more natural.
    I hope you like it, I know some of you were a fan of the other color.

I've also learnt to add new animations into the game so I'm working on a few of those. :)

I like these palletes better than the old ones.....

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • News:
    - MKSSB has joined Pokémon Grey's hacking team as our top Musical Hacker.

Update:
    After my brief post yesterday I felt a little unsure about the new rival I posted. There were certain attributes about both the sprite and overworld that I didn't like.
    So I spent a couple of hours this morning editing the rival to my satisfaction and here he is:

If you saw the earlier post you will notice a colour change in the shirt.
    You may also notice that the overworld now fits better with the hair of the sprite.

The reason why updates have been so slow lately is down to inserting 5th Generation Pokémon. This is quite a braining numbing task due to the fact you have to insert sprites (normal and shiny palette), icons, cries, footprints, Pokédex data, stats and many more.
    Once I've inserted all the 5th Generation Pokémon that will go in Grey I will post screenies of them.

I'm also waiting for a piece of titlescreen music to be implemented. Once that is done I will post a video of that so keep your eyes peeled folks. :)

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • News:
    - MKSSB has joined Pokémon Grey's hacking team as our top Musical Hacker.

If you saw the earlier post you will notice a colour change in the shirt.
    You may also notice that the overworld now fits better with the hair of the sprite.

Hey, Astar! Long time no talk. I'm glad that you found MKSSB as the Musical Hacker, 'cause he's really awesome in inserting music. (I think that he's born to know this knowledge...)

Anyways, James' OW looks good. So, I'm guessing, is James a rival?

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Hey, Astar! Long time no talk. I'm glad that you found MKSSB as the Musical Hacker, 'cause he's really awesome in inserting music. (I think that he's born to know this knowledge...)

Anyways, James' OW looks good. So, I'm guessing, is James a rival?

That's right. James is the Gary replacement, but he's not the only rival.
    There's a much more sinister rival in the game call Ray.
    I haven't got round to showing him off yet...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Why haven't I looked at this hack yet? xD Anyways let's review it. :3

The story is a bit interesting. So is the sister have an important role in this story? And the second paragraph is very interesting because of the chaotic things happening. And the truth makes it mysterious... Hm.

I like your set of features. The tiles look outstanding and the palettes look very good. It works together good. I also just love the male sprite and overworld. Does the female have custom sprites/overworlds?

And no bugs! That's what I call good. And it makes me feel like your putting all your effort into making this hack successful. I call that progress. ;) This looks pretty promising. Good luck on this.

Baronnecro

AKA TolerantX
    Years
  • Having a "rival" is crucial, but having a secret rival (not just Team xyz) is a brilliant story addition. I had a question about what pokemon you were inserting in your mod. I noticed Dusknoir (isn't he D/P/Pl?) I wanted to request Misdreavus can you add that one? if this isn't in your plan for your mod I understand. *note: that in Pokemon Platinum there is your rival and Cyrus (of Team Galactic), who isn't known until later in the game.

Last edited:

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Update:

This particular update is not thanks to me, but to the ASM hackers Colcolstyles and Shiny Quagsire.

-Colcolstyles helped me edit the textbox to add a higher level of detail.
    -Shiny Quagsire made an ASM rountine that checks the time and changes the textbox palette according so.

I believed it was better on the eyes to have a less bright textbox at night.
    Well that's it for now.

Keep your eyes peeled!
    -Astar.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Update:

This particular update is not thanks to me, but to the ASM hackers Colcolstyles and Shiny Quagsire.

-Shiny Quagsire made an ASM rountine that checks the time and changes the textbox palette according so.

Well that's it for now.

Keep your eyes peeled!
    -Astar.

Nicely done, I would have to say that the textbox is looking good so far, however... you do have a problem.

One of the images is broken, which is the nighttime one. So in order for everyone to be able to see the nighttime textbox, you'll have to fix the broken image link.

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind. It must've been my internet connection that caused the images to look like they were broken. x.x

However... I do understand that the textbox looks darker at night and not much different from the one in the day.

I see that one is gold... and one is silver, looks rather interesting. However... I don't really see any problems with it whatsoever.

~Davin

Last edited:

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Nicely done, I would have to say that the textbox is looking good so far, however... you do have a problem.

One of the images is broken, which is the nighttime one. So in order for everyone to be able to see the nighttime textbox, you'll have to fix the broken image link.

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind. It must've been my internet connection that caused the images to look like they were broken. x.x

However... I do understand that the textbox looks darker at night and not much different from the one in the day.

I see that one is gold... and one is silver, looks rather interesting. However... I don't really see any problems with it whatsoever.

~Davin

I was gonna say, I didn't think I'd pasted the link wrong.
    Well I'm glad you like it. It's nothing game changing.
    Just a nice feature really. :)

If you can change the palettes according to time, then you can make houses have lit windows at night time?

I already know how to do this via script but I'm sure it could be implemented via ASM. I mean, if you look a Pokémon Chrome's season hack you will see that he change ponds to ice during winter via ASM.
    I believe anything like that is possible.

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
  • Update:

Well that's it for now.

Keep your eyes peeled!
    -Astar.
    Wow! this looks much better
    by ColColstyles you mean when you edit the textbox
    the top part is exact same as bottom as the bottom is pointless and doesn't work and is there for no reason? And the textbox looks greeeeat looking forward to the beta/alpha anything rather blah.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Update:

Well that's it for now.

Keep your eyes peeled!
    -Astar.
    That's really snazzy. Props to you, and colcolstyles and Shiny Quagsire, for implementing a really good idea. I'm not totally sure I like the actual design but I'm a huge mark for the idea of it. Good going!

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years

• Wow! this looks much better
    by ColColstyles you mean when you edit the textbox
    the top part is exact same as bottom as the bottom is pointless and doesn't work and is there for no reason? And the textbox looks greeeeat looking forward to the beta/alpha anything rather blah.

Yeah, I found it annoying that the text box was reflected so I asked Colcolstyles to help me. As always, he found out how to do it and thus the more detailed text box arrived.

As for the different palettes depending on the time of day, the idea just popped into my head. Shiny Quagsire had already done something similar with his seasons hack so this was easy for him.

That's really snazzy. Props to you, and colcolstyles and Shiny Quagsire, for implementing a really good idea. I'm not totally sure I like the actual design but I'm a huge mark for the idea of it. Good going!

Thank you. :)
    The textbox is just one of those from HGSS. It can be changed at anytime.
    The ASM can also be adapted so that a completely new text box can shown at night.

MKSSB

OKですか?
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2014
    Wow, this hack is awesome!
    I like the tiles and the palettes you're using and I love the Day & Night textbox feauture, it really looks good!
    Keep it up!!

Baronnecro

AKA TolerantX
    Years
  • "this particular update is not thanks to me, but to the ASM hackers Colcolstyles and Shiny Quagsire.

-Shiny Quagsire made an ASM rountine that checks the time and changes the textbox palette according so."

I'm not surprised by this update, you add a beautiful level of detail and attention to your HACKs. Thank You for adding this, I will be asking the particulars on it later for perhaps my hack. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back