• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM Feb. 2011] Pokémon Grey [Beta 1 Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years
  • i have very high hopes for this game (happens once in a while).
    Just don't quit on it ;) unless life bumps you over.
    if you quit for not being bothered i'll find your place and raid your fridge ;D.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • i have very high hopes for this game (happens once in a while).
    Just don't quit on it ;) unless life bumps you over.
    if you quit for not being bothered i'll find your place and raid your fridge ;D.

I think you'll like the next bit. ;)

Pokémon Grey Beta 1 Release

That's right, I've decided to release my first Beta to the public today.
    Unfortunately it doesn't go as far as I original planned for several reasons.

• I am going to New Zealand for a month over Christmas.
    • I have a lot of very important exams in January.
    • I wanted to give you guys some sort of Christmas Present.
    Everything I have shown in screenshots and updates are included in this beta.
    What I'm giving you today is a completely bug free (finger's crossed) beta.
    It goes all the way up to the gatehouse script with Team Rocket.
    So to any of my beta testers there isn't really much new apart from that script, some ASM, rival graphics and bug fixes.

Now I understand that not everybody knows how to patch a 32mb .aps files so follow these steps.

1. Download a clean FireRed Rom.
    2. Open that Rom in the latest version of XSE.
    3. At the top of XSE select tools and click 'Rom resizer'.
    4. Now click 'Expand'.
    5. Download a tool called 'A-Ptch'.
    6. Open it up, make sure you applying a Patch.
    7. Select the original file as that Rom.
    8. Select the Patch as the Patch you've downloaded.
    9. Click 'run' and that's it.
    10. You should now be able to play it in Visualboy Advance.
    Now if the patching fails it's because you've downloaded the wrong region code of the FireRed rom. I'm not sure which region code I started on, It's either (E) or (U).

So here's the link, enjoy: https://www.2shared.com/file/bY2EtfNu/Pokemon_Grey_Beta_10.html

Please remember editing Pokémon Grey in anyway is prohibited.
    Stealing from it is also prohibited.

I do understand that the Shuckle on Hartshill Path is horrible, it will be changed in the next beta.
    If you want to get the best out of this hack, please resist pressing the Space Bar.
    Also there is a timed based event somewhere in the Rom, the first one to tell me what day it occurs on wins a cookie... (beta testers, shhh!)

If there are any problems please don't hesitate to inform me.
    Thank you, Astar.

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
  • Wow! already? yay going to my homeland make sure to buy lots of chocolate.

EDIT:
    It's (U) Version i'm sure i patched it to the (U) Version works fine.

EDIT2:
    Although it was short it was actually quite good for
    me. (Most of the time i get bored playing rom hacks this one was dif tho so you get an imaginary cookie ;D)

Last edited:

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Wow! already? yay going to my homeland make sure to buy lots of chocolate.

EDIT:
    It's (U) Version i'm sure i patched it to the (U) Version works fine.

EDIT2:
    Although it was short it was actually quite good for
    me. (Most of the time i get bored playing rom hacks this one was dif tho so you get an imaginary cookie ;D)

I'm glad you like it.
    I apologise for the shortness.
    Seeming I'm going away soon I thought something was better than nothing...

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • I must have missed the part where you asked Nintendo if you could edit their work and they agreed.

Didn't you hear?
    I went to a meeting with Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, showed him the hack and he gave me distribution rights. :)

In all honesty, that comment did make me laugh.
    How about instead of prohibiting it (which wouldn't work anyway) I ask people kindly not to edit it. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Can you upload the file to plunder or 4shared please, I can't download it from 2shared

Ocarion

I'm just playing hacks
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    Could you PLEASE set up a .ips file or .ups file? I can't get it set up. It keeps on saying my fire red rom is not valid.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Could you PLEASE set up a .ips file or .ups file? I can't get it set up. It keeps on saying my fire red rom is not valid.

It cant be sent as an .ips since it's been increased to 32mb. Make sure to increase the size of your fire red rom from 16mb to 32mb. Do this by downloading XSE (hackmews factory) and using the rom resizer tool.

Years
  • I like this hack
    It looks really nice and I like the story.
    I'm defintely going to try out the 1st beta

and wish you good luck with your exams and a lot of fun in new-zealand.

I really hope to see more after that ;$

good job

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    sorry i dont know where to get the XSE (hackmews factory) resizer tool and then i dont know how to resize maybe if someon of you would like to help me :)

I just told you where to get XSE. Go to the forums Toolbox section. Then go to the thread "Hackmews Tool Factory" and download it there. Then opem XSE and go to the tool tab and click "Rom Resizer" and click "expand". That's all there is to it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    ah ok i didnt saw the spoiler first :D but now when i try to download it i always get Could not open count_file.php file for writing.

Baronnecro

AKA TolerantX
    Years
  • OMG I am so going to DOWNLOAD. MERRY XMAS ASTAR. I took a break from here for a week, and now I got a great gift for xmas. I can't wait to give you my feedback. (i'll post another in a few days).

tehGDS

Grape Soda wut?
    Years
  • It's me Yamato,

Very great! Everything that in here is a real great thing, the textbox is great, the storyline is too, it doesn't feel like a hack anymore since it has no imperfect things, it's great, so yup I will support this. I actually have no critisisms and that is rare I even critisize great maps for the simplest things, merry christmas! by the way thank you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back