• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do spawns work exactly?

Illusionss

Banned
Years
  • Yesterday I encountered a Chansey but I had it run from me (just my luck). I only need another 4 Pokemon until I complete the European dex and Chansey happens to be one of them, so if I went back to the same spot at the same time would it be there again?

Similar thing happened with a Hitmonlee a few months back, at the area that I go to that has a Pokestops and 2 gyms I had a hitmonlee on my nearby list, I was there the very next day at the same time and it was there on my nearby list again.

If anyone could let me know that would be great, thanks.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Spawn points are not guaranteed to spawn any specific Pokémon, though it will roll through the options of Pokémon that are readily available to spawn in that area.

If a Pokémon flees from you (puff of smoke), it's permanently gone. If you run from a Pokémon, it will still be there until it naturally despawns.

Chansey is categorized as a mythic rare Pokémon, along with Snorlax and Lapras (though the latter is currently enjoying an event in Japan). Those Pokémon rarely spawn and can appear almost anywhere when they do. Some places may see them more than others, but there are no known patterns associated with them. Central Park, NY did see somewhat consistent Snorlax spawns on its upper west side, though no one could consistently predict when they would spawn.

Similar thing happened with a Hitmonlee a few months back, at the area that I go to that has a Pokestops and 2 gyms I had a hitmonlee on my nearby list, I was there the very next day at the same time and it was there on my nearby list again.
    There are known spawn points for specific Pokémon. Some are categorized as nests, where a specific species spawns so frequently in a particular area. Other times, they're just natural spawns that occur infrequently in one area.

For instance, the town 20 minutes north of me is an Eevee and Oddish nest. I can collect upward of 10 Eevee or Oddish an hour there. It's also an infrequent spawning area for Dratini and the Abra and Machop lines.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • Spawn points are not guaranteed to spawn any specific Pokémon, though it will roll through the options of Pokémon that are readily available to spawn in that area.

If a Pokémon flees from you (puff of smoke), it's permanently gone. If you run from a Pokémon, it will still be there until it naturally despawns.

Chansey is categorized as a mythic rare Pokémon, along with Snorlax and Lapras (though the latter is currently enjoying an event in Japan). Those Pokémon rarely spawn and can appear almost anywhere when they do. Some places may see them more than others, but there are no known patterns associated with them. Central Park, NY did see somewhat consistent Snorlax spawns on its upper west side, though no one could consistently predict when they would spawn.

There are known spawn points for specific Pokémon. Some are categorized as nests, where a specific species spawns so frequently in a particular area. Other times, they're just natural spawns that occur infrequently in one area.

For instance, the town 20 minutes north of me is an Eevee and Oddish nest. I can collect upward of 10 Eevee or Oddish an hour there. It's also an infrequent spawning area for Dratini and the Abra and Machop lines.

Guess I'm out of luck then, will just have to wait until I hatch one instead. And regarding the Hitmonlee, it wasn't a nest at all, I've only ever seen my nearby list twice and both times were at the same time of the day at the same location which is why I was curious.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    There are nests and also individual spawn points, and every now and then they change, the nests all change their locations around every month.

For example, near an area where i hang out a lot there recently was a Doduo spawn, it was 2 or 3 spawn points, and every few hours a doduo would show up on the nearby list. Whenever it showed up we knew that it showed up at one of those nearby spawn points.

Basically each spawn point has a list of pokemon it randomly picks from, a short list of maybe 8, and then spawns one of these, but some pokemon are more likely than others.

Nests are generally large areas with many spawn points, and for a while, all of them have the potential to spawn a specific pokemon. So you have like a large park where you just keep running into tons of bulbasaurs, you walk around there and you know you will find a few bulbasaurs each hour. Then all nests reset after a month or so, and the same area is now crawling with Mankey.

Known nests always spawn a lot of one specific pokemon, and after a nest rotation it makes sense to check tem all out to see if you find something cool. If you find one that spawns something you need, you keep coming back until the nests rotate again or until you caught enough of it.

Some pokemon of which i still need more, for pokedex and to make strong gym pokemon, would be charmander and abra and machop and exeggcute. All those can show up in nests, like many others.

As Visualjae pointed out, some rare pokemon simply have no fixed spawn points or nests. You need luck. Some of those are Snorlax, Lapras, Chansey, but also a few others like Porygon, Tangela, Aerodactyl. Those just insist on being super rare and refuse to show up in any pattern.

Finding nests or hearing from others that a particularly awesome nest is active somewhere can be a really big thing, especially if it features a really strong gym pokemon.

Some strong gym pokemon where real nests exist and you can evolve them by catching many of the lower-stage evolution in a nest would be Jigglytuff, Polywrath, Slowbro, Exeggutor, all the eevee-stuff, Arcanine.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • There are nests and also individual spawn points, and every now and then they change, the nests all change their locations around every month.

For example, near an area where i hang out a lot there recently was a Doduo spawn, it was 2 or 3 spawn points, and every few hours a doduo would show up on the nearby list. Whenever it showed up we knew that it showed up at one of those nearby spawn points.

Basically each spawn point has a list of pokemon it randomly picks from, a short list of maybe 8, and then spawns one of these, but some pokemon are more likely than others.

Nests are generally large areas with many spawn points, and for a while, all of them have the potential to spawn a specific pokemon. So you have like a large park where you just keep running into tons of bulbasaurs, you walk around there and you know you will find a few bulbasaurs each hour. Then all nests reset after a month or so, and the same area is now crawling with Mankey.

Known nests always spawn a lot of one specific pokemon, and after a nest rotation it makes sense to check tem all out to see if you find something cool. If you find one that spawns something you need, you keep coming back until the nests rotate again or until you caught enough of it.

Some pokemon of which i still need more, for pokedex and to make strong gym pokemon, would be charmander and abra and machop and exeggcute. All those can show up in nests, like many others.

As Visualjae pointed out, some rare pokemon simply have no fixed spawn points or nests. You need luck. Some of those are Snorlax, Lapras, Chansey, but also a few others like Porygon, Tangela, Aerodactyl. Those just insist on being super rare and refuse to show up in any pattern.

Finding nests or hearing from others that a particularly awesome nest is active somewhere can be a really big thing, especially if it features a really strong gym pokemon.

Some strong gym pokemon where real nests exist and you can evolve them by catching many of the lower-stage evolution in a nest would be Jigglytuff, Polywrath, Slowbro, Exeggutor, all the eevee-stuff, Arcanine.

Cheers, Geoff.

Back