• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How hard has the game been for you so far?

Years
  • After how disappointed people were by XY's (lack of) difficulty, there have been several people hoping that these games would be harder, like many saw the original Ruby and Sapphire.

At this point i'm only two badges in, and I have had the Exp. Share off the whole time, but i'm still having my levels rather high. On the route after Slateport (Route 110), i've been finding myself having to go back to the Pokémon Center a lot, which has been tough to deal with. But I beat Brawly without taking a single point of damage, granted I had a Flying-type and a Ralts but still.

How about you? How has the game been to you so far? Better than XY (as in harder)? Worse than XY? How is it? Discuss.

Years
  • I havent got hold of oras yet, still waiting for release over here, but i dont think the originals were particularly hard, ive been playing it on an emulator on my phine and got to the 7th gym with my highest pokemon being lvl35 vibrava

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I'm at the second gym in Dewford and it's been pretty easy so far. I turned the exp. share off (I only used it when I recieved my lvl 5 beldum to catch up). I haven't had anything faint. However, the game is defenitely longer I think than X/Y.

Edit: route 106 caught me. I was a little under leveled with a good amount of trainer battles. I lost 2 pokes (or fainted) and 2 wounded.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    NOt hard becaus have not played ha J/K. Dont care much just if its long like VERSION X/Y Its good! :D

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I haven't gotten my copy of ORAS yet (it just left Tokyo, holy...)

Based on the walkthroughs I've seen so far... The early part of the game seems quite easy, but the end isn't (catching the primals especially!). I'm looking forward to finding out myself.

In fact, I think the game would be a LOT harder if you didn't have the shiny beldum on your team.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Meh I'm using the Exp. Share because I actually have a full team quite early on. That said, it's been pretty easy, when I want a challenge I usually do like a Nuzlocke or something.

Years
  • I'd say it's so-so at the moment. I haven't been steamrolling everything like I did in X, and I've even had a few Pokemon get knocked out (not more than one per battle, though). I've kept the EXP Share mostly off (have it turned on now to help catch up two newer, lower leveled Pokemon) and haven't used the Shiny Beldum, so that may be a contributing factor, too.

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • It hasnt been hard but its not as easy as x and y. But I have had the exp share on cause laziness.

Years
  • I know I haven't played the games yet (obviously) but from what I've heard it's a bit harder to level up compared to X & Y, likely because not many Pokemon found in Hoenn during the story give out good chunks of EXP. I heard some players ended up a bit overleveled at some points but at others found themselves very close to the trainers and wild Pokemon, even with the Exp. Share on.

But then again, knowing how many veteran players lurk around this forum, I imagine a lot won't even try to use the Exp. Share for the sake of wanting a challenge.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Well, for me, it's more difficult than X and Y. Mostly because I've had the EXP. Share turned off the whole time, and I had 5 out of the 6 desired team members on my team before I challenged Brawly, so trying to distribute the experience points evenly throughout my team without using the EXP. Share can be a little hard sometimes. Even harder now that I finally have my final desired team member. But you know what? I like this challenge, it's more fun for me than my really easy playthrough of Pokemon Y.
    Even without the EXP. Share, I can still defeat the Gym Leaders, and I will become champion of Hoenn! (By the way, not that it really has to do with anyone, but I just beat Flannery! :) )

Years
  • I have to say that the early part of the game is quite simple, but thats how it was back in the originals, so no harm done. It's also getting progressivly harder. In X & Y I would go through gyms without having to switch Pokemon. In AS (I still haven't started OR) I'm loosing atleast 2-3 Pokemon during each match with a Gym Leader, I can only imagine what the Elite 4 will be like since it's a linear thing

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
  • It's harder. Still pretty easy but definetly harder that XY. I was surprised when some low level trainer used a full restore :O

Years
  • As I mentioned, i'm not using the shiny Beldum, as I feel that's kinda dirty. And I beat Flannery a little while ago, and some of the trainers in the desert have been proving to be annoying, but mostly because i'm attempting to switch train a Trapinch that I caught (why is every single trainer using a stupid Sandslash?!). So at the moment i'd say it's harder than my first play of X was, definitely, although in that I used the Exp. Share for most of the game while here I haven't touched it once.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • So far, I am doing fairly well. I have a team that consists mostly of birds, so I have to actually double back to Dewford for a Makuhita to take care of Watson.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Seriously, it can't be too hard with both Exp. Share and DexNav giving away egg moves, high levels, HAs and high IVs like candy.

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
    Years
  • The Game has been a breeze so far(Maby bacause I overpowered my pokemon a LOT and the 3rd gym) :)
    I used to have trouble at Normans(dads) gym in the originals but it was a breeze. :)
    The only trouble I had was at Winona's gym. her altaria used cotten Guard twice and then would not stop using Roost! When she had full hp she'd attack(the Roost to full hp then attack, then reach to full ah you get it) But i got her :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    Rival battle on route 110 actually pushed me to my limits.
    Combusken was punishing my team of normal, bug, grass guys.

I've been nuzlocking, my only loss so far was my Electrike to an arena trapping Trapinch.

TheGinger63

PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • Just beat the E4 the first time. The only time I blacked out was in the underwater cave vs Archie. And thats cuz poisoning by wild Golbats... i was 1hp away from being perfect the whole game. No exp share. I DID take advantage of the shiny beldum however. But for the most part Swampert (esp mega) took care of business. With new mechanics and moves, the game was significantly easier than the original. A tad bit more difficult than xy, but not by much :/

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • It was pretty much a breeze for me.
    Just trying to collect all my possible Mega Stones now; Then off to the version exclusive Legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    its easy but harder than x and y im almost done with the game i spent most of my time playing it while waiting for my copy of smash bros to come in the mail.

Back