• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How hard has the game been for you so far?

FroakieFTW

Ribbit!
Years
  • Eh, it's decently easy so far. I only have 5 badges (Yeah, I don't play this game too much :P) There have been a few challenging parts, and some of my Pokes fainted when they were earlier in levels than the others.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    It hasn't been difficult, I would say a little easier due to the exp gained when you catch pokemon. It's made the game flow a little quicker as well, and the exp share puts the icing on the cake but I only use it in the gyms.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2014
    The only challenging thing about the game is the battle maison, and thats not even original to this game. The addition of a battle frontier later would hugely bump up the difficulty though.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Shortly after getting my EXP Share, I disabled it, as I saw no possible use for it and I wanted to make the game a bit more challenging... Also, my starter (Marshtomp) is level 35/36 and I am headed to the fourth gym, I am hoping I am not too strong, for Flannery, I might even put my Marshtomp away until I really need it, as I have myself a Combusken, which I might use for a while... I am also cutting down on wild encounters, I am going back to my old self and running from them, unless I want a Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Shortly after getting my EXP Share, I disabled it, as I saw no possible use for it and I wanted to make the game a bit more challenging... Also, my starter (Marshtomp) is level 35/36 and I am headed to the fourth gym, I am hoping I am not too strong, for Flannery, I might even put my Marshtomp away until I really need it, as I have myself a Combusken, which I might use for a while... I am also cutting down on wild encounters, I am going back to my old self and running from them, unless I want a Pokemon.

I dont know how the game can be fun playing that way..
    I mean, all the point is to face your rivals ( such as gym leades) with all the strength you've got and not to push your strong pokemon aside so it doesn't win..
    It's like ppl need to focus more on how to lose than to actually win. ( I'm saying this from exprience since I also tried to play the way you do till it I realized that it's super akward).
    Just wanted to express my feelings about it, thanks :)

Years
  • ORAS was perhaps the second easiest Pokémon game I've ever played... next to XY. They increased the difficulty a bit since XY, but ORAS was still ridiculously easy compared to RSE (which I still think are the hardest Pokémon games to date). I really believe that the new (and definitely not improved) Exp. Share should be a post-game item. All it does in the main story is make your Pokémon stupidly over-levelled for everything.

Years
  • Seriously even without the shiny beldum (I missed that), super training alone can make the game a sight easier. Combine that with pokemon amie benifits and dexnav perfect pokemon, there's no way this could be hard.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    I have my exp. share on which might explain why it's been so easy. There was actually a point when I had to take blaziken off of my team because he had leveled too high and I was about to lose control of him (I hadn't gotten the next badge up). 4 days in I beat all of the gyms and I'm actually lost right now. I forgot what my next task was?? I could've sworn there was something else I needed to do before the elite four idk. Honestly I've been defeating the gym leaders with one hit ko's.

Years
  • I have my exp. share on which might explain why it's been so easy. There was actually a point when I had to take blaziken off of my team because he had leveled too high and I was about to lose control of him (I hadn't gotten the next badge up). 4 days in I beat all of the gyms and I'm actually lost right now. I forgot what my next task was?? I could've sworn there was something else I needed to do before the elite four idk. Honestly I've been defeating the gym leaders with one hit ko's.

Wallace speaks of having to go to Professor Birch's lab in Littleroot Town to get the National Pokédex from him (I kid you not, you get it before the post-game here). The trainers in Victory Road have not Hoenn-native Pokémon.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    Wallace speaks of having to go to Professor Birch's lab in Littleroot Town to get the National Pokédex from him (I kid you not, you get it before the post-game here). The trainers in Victory Road have not Hoenn-native Pokémon.

Oh joy, I noticed there were some pokemon not native to this region when I was flying latios. Now I have no hope of finishing my pokedex haha well thank you, i'll go to get that right now!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    For me the game has been really easy however I forgot how far the distance between towns was in R/S/E! In AS I'm constantly getting the "Am I f*****g there yet!?" feeling, mainly because Kalos was so compact by comparison.

Oh look, finally. A long path between the rocks and then... and then the next town right? No. Rest house, jog on bro :P

Years
  • For me the game has been really easy however I forgot how far the distance between towns was in R/S/E! In AS I'm constantly getting the "Am I f*****g there yet!?" feeling, mainly because Kalos was so compact by comparison.

Oh look, finally. A long path between the rocks and then... and then the next town right? No. Rest house, jog on bro :P

That is indeed true, there are a lot of areas in the game where you get healed right off the bat. But there were some routes in Kalos that I felt actually dragged on a while, like Routes 8, 12, 14 and 19. Although as these are remakes I felt like I would have a vibe for when I was nearing the end of them.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • You know, I'm starting to doubt that the EXP share is the main reason why ORAS are "so easy". I've been observing it and what it mostly does is make my team on nearly equal levels - rather than make it over-leveled.

The bigger culprit, at least in my opinion, is Pokemon Amie. That crap mechanism can help you survive Mega Metagross's TWO giga impacts with 1 HP, which is kinda ridiculous. Tested it with cosplay pikachu.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    It hasn't been hard at all lol.

It's kind of disappointing, actually, because I know what RSE have played like before. I'm debating whether its the EXP Share, location warps, or the amount of extra cut-scenes that make this easy. I felt like someone was holding my hand through the entire game.

OriginRoute

The Omnipotent Origin
    Years
  • I never really had any difficulties while playing the game. Although I entered the Delta episode without any preparations (I forgot to stock up with enough Pokéballs). I was tested to catch two consecutive Legendary Pokémon with a limited item stock and team.

It was easy I'd say. Fairly.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I finished the main game with a fairly low leveled party (highest level was 51 on my Azumarill after beating Steven). Beating the E4 was kinda challenging, considering I didn't really prepare beforehand, although I had it a little bit easier, because I used Super Training a little bit during the main story. I've also played without using the EXP Share; one thing I noticed, though: while people like to complain about the EXP Share (for whatever reason, because like said, you can turn it off), they seem to overlook another EXP share mechanic, that makes the game really easy.
    I'm talking about the shared EXP you get, when switching mid-turn. If you tend to switch often during battles, your Pokemon get the full amount of EXP, which ultimately makes them higher leveled. As opposed to the EXP Share, this mechanic can not be turned off and it's one of the things where I'm still debating if switching the Battle Style to Set is going to make the game harder, or easier in the longrun.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    The first part of the game was fairly easy. Brawly was definitely nerfed, I remember his Machop being around Level 17. I did have the Exp. Share on the whole playthrough though. When I got to around... Flannery? The game was starting to slightly increase in difficulty, and I lost to Norman at least 5 times. Heck, them Slaking are bulky and annoying! I actually lost 5 members of my team against the Elite 4 challenge, so I was only left with Primal Groudon. (I had it on my team because +1 empty slot) and I pretty much sweeped the Champion... well some of the Elite 4 were hard like the dragon one (I forgot his name) and Glacia's Walrein... I thought I would get a supereffective hit on it with Lava Plume!

But yeah, I didn't use Amie once, so I can see Amie probably helping out a lot in keeping your Pokémon alive. It was probably the Exp. Share too, however I did turn it off just before entering a Gym so it'd be slightly harder. Doubt it done anything though, because if you think about it Exp.Share just slightly highers your Pokémon's levels, not overlevels them. :P

Last edited:
    Years
  • I used the Exp. Share and was done real quick with the game. In comparison with the originals it really is alot easier which I do NOT think is bad. Back in the originals I absolutely hated how much I had to train my team before I could challenge a gym leader. It was annoying as hell since it took so much time until I could move on with the story. When I challenged the E4 my starter Pokemon was overleveled by 20 lvls I think but i absolutely LOVED it. I don't like when I can't go through those kinda battles smoothly because of low levels but spending 2 hours in grass to get them high enough is also not nice for me.

So conclusion is: It was easy but that is what made it nice for me! ^_^b

AriArk

Survey Corps
    Years
  • So
    Friggin'
    EASY!
    It's so easy, I'm actually getting bored and putting random rules on it, like no healing other than at the pokemon center and stuff. I should have done a nuzlocke...

Years
  • The first part of the game was fairly easy. Brawly was definitely nerfed, I remember his Machop being around Level 17. I did have the Exp. Share on the whole playthrough though. When I got to around... Flannery? The game was starting to slightly increase in difficulty, and I lost to Norman at least 5 times. Heck, them Slaking are bulky and annoying! I actually lost 5 members of my team against the Elite 4 challenge, so I was only left with Primal Groudon. (I had it on my team because +1 empty slot) and I pretty much sweeped the Champion... well some of the Elite 4 were hard like the dragon one (I forgot his name) and Glacia's Walrein... I thought I would get a supereffective hit on it with Lava Plume!

But yeah, I didn't use Amie once, so I can see Amie probably helping out a lot in keeping your Pokémon alive. It was probably the Exp. Share too, however I did turn it off just before entering a Gym so it'd be slightly harder. Doubt it done anything though, because if you think about it Exp.Share just slightly highers your Pokémon's levels, not overlevels them. :P

Fixed :P As I mentioned, I had the Exp. Share off the entire time and never used Amie, and never used any items in battle, either. And I beat Norman with only my Hariyama (which I traded Slakoth for in Rustboro, so it gained boosted EXP), but he scored a critical hit Retaliate and I won with it having 4 HP left.

I used the Exp. Share and was done real quick with the game. In comparison with the originals it really is alot easier which I do NOT think is bad. Back in the originals I absolutely hated how much I had to train my team before I could challenge a gym leader. It was annoying as hell since it took so much time until I could move on with the story. When I challenged the E4 my starter Pokemon was overleveled by 20 lvls I think but i absolutely LOVED it. I don't like when I can't go through those kinda battles smoothly because of low levels but spending 2 hours in grass to get them high enough is also not nice for me.

So conclusion is: It was easy but that is what made it nice for me! ^_^b

Some people actually like having it easier; as I mentioned in another thread I think XY was made easier so people could enjoy using their favorites. And yes, training in the originals sucked...

Back