• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how many pokeballs did it take for you?

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Trying to catch azelf, i have been paralysising it and its at one hp i have used over 30 ultra balls and a few timer balls >.< how many does it take??? lol..

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    That Azelf seems pretty stubborn. For Mesprit, it took me around 40-50 poke balls after a reset. Azelf took me 20-30 first try. And I'm still working on Uxie. Had to reset twice, unfortunately, he can only be caught during a certain hour of the day.

Capture rate is always low for the Legendary Pokemon. It just takes a lot of patience, and sometimes a bit of luck. Pressing A + B + Down never hurts (Though it doesn't really help either, haha.) Best of luck.

Years
  • That Azelf seems pretty stubborn. For Mesprit, it took me around 40-50 poke balls after a reset. Azelf took me 20-30 first try. And I'm still working on Uxie. Had to reset twice, unfortunately, he can only be caught during a certain hour of the day.

Capture rate is always low for the Legendary Pokemon. It just takes a lot of patience, and sometimes a bit of luck. Pressing A + B + Down never hurts (Though it doesn't really help either, haha.) Best of luck.

Hahaha I used to always press B+up waayyy long after I knew it didn't do anything. But I finally got rid of the habit.

Definitely didn't change a thing.

Btw Arokh, if you're interested to dig more on the matter, there's one of the most complex articles of Bulbapedia detailing all the equations. It's called Catch rate. I didn't understand a thing really there, but maybe it can convince you no one is making it harder for you haha :P

Years
  • ^ B + Up is definitely the way to go! I've known it does nothing for the longest time, but I still do it since it's more of a ritual than a habit at this point, haha.

And since this about the games rather than a series as a whole, I'm just going to move this thread over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you, Arokh.

MOVED.

Years
  • I used to mash the A and B button while the pokeball was being thrown. Idk, I used to do that as a child.

Giratina from Platinum took me a ton of Pokeballs, but that thing that prevented me from catching it was when it lost all of its PP and just used Struggle.....I wasn't a fan of using Sleep, so I paralyzed it, but catching took a lot of time and it just ended up fainting itself. For 3 tries. Until the 4th, where I just went Master Ball on it *sigh*

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • What a coincidence! I remember Azelf being one of the Pokémon that took me an insane amount of time to catch too, that stubborn thing. I think I believe I finally caught it in a dusk ball after throwing who knows how many balls.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I remembered i seriously need so many ultra balls to catch that Aipom, even giving him Status Problems doesn't help even 1% ah, it took more to catch that.....Aipom than some legendaries. :(

Years
  • I remember catching Zygarde in a Poké Ball I think a year ago, it was for a certain post-game event here. I might try it again on something tougher, but what I don't know, haha.

And speaking of Aipom, I remember one drained me completely out of Poké Balls in my first attempt at a Wedlocke, in Platinum. Then just to rub it in my face it wouldn't let me escape at first. I've heard from other Marriland challengers (like Starowl and Heyis4Horses) who have also been cheated out of Aipoms themselves.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    To catch Azelf in Platinum, it's definitely taken a lot of time and effort for me, as well as Ultra Balls, haha.

Regardless of what I did--attempting to reduce its health, making Azelf go to sleep, lower its stats, and so forth--nothing seemed to have worked. Something caused this Pokémon to keep its capture rate to a low percentage, and it was very bothersome.

I did wind up capturing Azelf after several attempts, which took around four to seven hours in total.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • Hmm, I catch most of legendaries within 10-30 Pokeballs, although I remember I was really lucky with Kyurem (used False Swipe with my Mega Sceptile and caught with Dusk ball on 3rd try) and Cobalion was very annoying (took 2 resets and finally captured with Timer Ball after 20+ turns). Cresselia was quite easy too.

Amazingly, neither Kyogre nor Rayquaza took much time to catch (10+ pokeballs each, Rayquaza had a critical capture). And I used my Master Ball on Deoxys.

Years
  • Legendaries can seriously be a huge pain to catch. I think I had one strikingly lucky occasion where I caught, I believe it was Articuno, with just one throw of a Poke Ball. But yes, I remember particulary Mesprit/Azelf/Uxie being extremely annoying to catch. Honestly, I must've used at least 50 Poke Balls the first time I tried to catch Azelf, same with Mesprit. Uxie is normally a bit easier for me, don't think I've ever had to use over 30 with catching it.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It seems completely random. On one occasion I caught Deoxys in Alpha Sapphire with a single Ultra Ball, another occasion it took me 40+ Ultra Balls to capture Giratina in the Distortion World. ;-;

Back