• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much longer can Pokemon last?

LassLaura

Pikachu Ga Gotoku
Years
  • As much as we all love it, no franchise lasts forever (except maybe Dr. Who... but that's besides the point).

My point is, Nintendo and Game Freak has to stop putting out Pokemon games sometime. How long do you all think/hope it'll go on? I give it another 5, maybe 10 years at the very most.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Only 10 years? Pokémon is a major cash cow for Nintendo, so assuming Black and White is relatively popular and brings in some new players, they'll pump out another... and another... ad nauseum. The popularity of forums like this is a testament to its enduring popularity amongst players who weren't even alive when Red and Green came out in Japan.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2018
    People think Pokemon has been getting less popular lately, but the opposite is true. Wifi battles, fast release dates for games. New people start playing Pokemon daily. I give it around 30 years tbh.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    For it to go down in the foreseeable future, something drastic would have to happen, like games featuring 'mons' of any type and their forceful capture because of some animal cruelty guff were banned across the US, which would cut a significant percentage of the fanbase out. If, and if so: when this might happen I have no idea; and whether it would cut out a significant enough amount of Nintendo's and Game Freak's profits to make them end the franchise I again have no idea, but I doubt it...

I'm willing to give it until not long after Tajiri's death, so probably around 37 years given the average life expectancy of a Japanese male. Why this time... I don't know, it just seems appropriate that something should die with its creator; but hey, Tolkien was long dead when the LoTR trilogy came out, so I can't really say anything educated, I just think it'd be fitting.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Who knows, maybe Pokémon won't die until the whole company of Nintendo dies. Or at least, it might die with the other major Nintendo series like Zelda and Mario.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • Seeing how much money hg and ss reeled in and im not even sure about b/w I think its safe to say it will go on for a long time.

Pikachu is one of nintendos headfigures along with many others like mario ect...

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i think it will go for a long time. maybe like 5 more gen's

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    Black/White proves how it will just keep evolving to fit the needs of the crowd and stay alive (and healthy). I really like how finally 3D seems to be coming to pokemon and nintendo as a whole, and how it will bolster almost all good franchise's life expectancy from 5 years at least.

Pokemon will probably evolve into a few more technologies before they run out of hardcore fans and little creatures to fuel them. i give it a minimum of 10 years, unless Nintendo gets thrown out somehow.

Years
  • As much as we all love it, no franchise lasts forever (except maybe Dr. Who... but that's besides the point).
    I assure that this guy will remain with us until the end of the world.
    Spoiler:

There's no way someone can make a fair judgment. No, saying that five is a good number to end with is not a good reason. Pokemon shows no sign of dying, and will most likely be with us for many years to come.

miley810

Assassin
    Years
  • I know many of u people will not agree with me,but I hope the milk pokemon till theres nothing left to milk,and that they don't finish milking early.I would like it to still be around and populer when I have kids.Sort of like they did with Micky mouse and loony tunes

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
  • i heard rumours that they would stop making new pokemon at 1000, but even after that they can still make more games out of it.
    maybe after they have made 1000 they would make a pokemon all region.

Noka

I'ma nerd
    Years
  • Like a lot of others, I see it staying around for a long, long time. Like Mario, Pokemon is a huge money-making machine for Nintendo; like someone else said, even today people are just getting reeled into it. I say it's going to be here for, at the least, another fifteen-twenty years.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    I can't really guess how long it will last. I think that it will end when/if they lose interest which will probably be a long time from now because as long as they can come up with new stories and new Pokémon, they can make more games. Or it could also come to an end if the games get worse and people lose interest in them, so they would be making less profit.

LassLaura

Pikachu Ga Gotoku
    Years
  • I'm willing to give it until not long after Tajiri's death, so probably around 37 years given the average life expectancy of a Japanese male. Why this time... I don't know, it just seems appropriate that something should die with its creator; but hey, Tolkien was long dead when the LoTR trilogy came out, so I can't really say anything educated, I just think it'd be fitting.
    I dunno, Capcom decided to go ahead and make 4 more Mega Man X games without Keiji Inafune's consent because he had wanted the series to end with X5 but Capcom didn't want to get rid of one of their biggest moneymakers just yet.

It might end after 7 regions. But thats what I think.
    7 regions= 7 continents
    Most of the 7 Pokemon world regions are based on areas in Japan, so if you're going by the fact that the real world has 7 continents that theory doesn't really hold water.

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • Maybe they will make another type of Pokémon (like Yu-Gi-Oh! GX) when they feel that the story is too long.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    As long as people are liking it and buying it, I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I assure that this guy will remain with us until the end of the world.
    Spoiler:

The only way to become more well-known than that guy is to become widely hated. >.>

Also, Pokemon is here to stay. There's no death visible on the horizon, no reason to predict a death. It's just way too early to be talking about it's death because there's no reason to believe it's ever coming other than "But it has to die sometime" which is as weak a point as possible. When the death of the series is actually on the horizon, a topic like this will be more conclusive.

Back