• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Not to Write a Fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    A/N: I have no idea what prefix this would fall under. Anyway, back in early 2013, I realized that a guide for beginning fanfic writers would be very useful, so I wrote one! I hadn't updated this guide in a very long time, but when I decided that it might be worth cross-posting on here, I wrote another section. Past-me will introduce this guide right... now!

A/N: This was inspired by the book How Not to Write a Novel, by Howard Mittelmark and Sandra Newman.

So, you want to write a great fanfiction? Do you really know the tools of the trade? No matter how many style guides you've looked at, and how much non-fanfic writing you've done, it's still helpful to look at the pitfalls many fic writers fall into headfirst.

There are quite a few problems that seem to be strictly fanfiction-based—problems I have never seen in other works. Some of these issues will probably leave you scratching your head, while others you yourself may have fallen prey to (I've also made a couple of big mistakes in my first writing).

Let's start with a way to not begin your fanfiction. Here's a mistake I call:

Gilligan, the Skipper too…
    Wherein the author forgets the point of fanfiction

Mr. Spock, who really should have been called Commander Spock, as he was commanding officer, and yet was called Mr. Spock by his crewmates, walked down the hall of the starship that was named the Enterprise, which he served on.

Mr. Spock belonged to a race of aliens known as Vulcans, who came from the planet Vulcan, and was highly logical, as their race was wont to be. This tendency for logic was often interpreted as emotional coldness, and Vulcans did almost always distance themselves from emotions. Mr. Spock, however, was only half-Vulcan, and had to work extra hard to contain his emotions. Many of Spock's crewmates tried to get him to show emotion. The Chief Medical Officer, Dr. McCoy, often did this by…

(Five pages later, and nothing more has happened….)

Sometimes an author writing a fanfiction for a work forgets that his or her audience will probably be at least a casual fan of that work. The author goes on to reintroduce all the main characters and locations from that work to the audience, even though that audience just wants to see a plot with characters that they already know.

After all, someone who is seeking out Star Trek fanfiction will usually be familiar with Star Trek, right?

Once the action in a fanfiction has actually started, it creates many more opportunities for the author to mess things up. Often, authors will not know how to properly balance dialogue with action, and when they're trying (unnecessarily, of course) to find creative replacements for the word "said," they end up with this:

The Elmore Leonard Tag
    When the readers are amazed that the character could really chuckle that whole sentence

Batman had finally gotten Two-Face cornered in the abandoned warehouse. His hired goons were unconscious, their bodies strewn across the floor. Batman had Two-Face on his stomach, his left arm in a lock.

"Tell me where you're keeping the hostages," Batman twisted the arm.

"I'll never tell," Two-Face spat out blood.

"Suit yourself, Dent," Batman wrenched the arm.

"I hate you!" Two-Face, trying to break free.

For some reason, many authors forget that when one puts a comma at the end of a snippet of dialogue, whatever action one says the speaker did afterward was what made the sentence "happen." Could Batman really have said words by twisting Two-Face's arm? This snippet reads like a rejected screenplay novelization.

A lot of people make this mistake. I was one of them, probably because I read too many works that didn't have any editors!

Superman Using a Gun
    When characters act nothing like they're meant to

Legolas and Gimli walked through Fangorn Forest. Well, Gimli was walking; Legolas was prancing around gaily.

Legolas twirled a finger through his meticulously brushed, strawberry blonde hair. "Gim-gim, baby, isn't it, like, a marvelously beautiful day?"

Gimli sighed. "To you, any day with trees in it is beautiful, Legolas."

"So, like, true! But don't, like, call me Legolas. It's too formal! I'm Leggy, remember?"

It is fanfiction, and an author can do whatever he or she wants, but claiming that the story can fit into the canon of the work it's based on sort of locks the author into a certain characterization.

If a character acts too out-of-character, the work will start to seem like a parody. That's fine if the author is trying to write a parody, but parody usually only works if it's based on something concrete. If the author want to have your story match canon, he or she should try to avoid this sort of thing.

This next problem is not about characterization or plot, but instead is another style tip. A very important style tip, called:

Have You Ever Read Another Story? Really?
    Wherein gremlins have done the writing and formatting for the author

michaelangelo joined his bothers at the table "—hey guys let#%#s try my new pizza"
    ralpheal didn#%#t wanna "—its to weird tastin you surfer dud" he said sarcasticly "—i#%#ll add some spices too kick it up a noch" ansewred mike he went back to the chicken and brot some sipces "—add spices too taste dudes" he yelled

It's one thing if an author's eyes miss out on spellchecking after a hard day's work, but it's another thing if he or she fails to catch errors after posting something.

Other times, formatting will get messed up when a site for hosting stories can't properly read a file format. When that happens, one must, sigh, go back and fix all the problems manually.

Try to always check to see how a story looks posted before moving on to write something else.

EDIT: I just realized these sections may be too short, so I merged some of them.

Last edited:

ShivaDF

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    For this entry, I'll start by pointing out a tone problem. This happens when an author packs a scene with too many similes:

Metaforced
    Wherein the reader becomes distracted

Watson followed Holmes as best he could on his injured leg. The good doctor's heart pounded like a fat man on a pogo stick might. He saw the flash from the hired assassin's gun—it was a lightning strike that struck an oak tree with the force of the explosion that sank the Titanic. Aside from that flash, the night was dark as the pit of an anglerfish's stomach in the abysmal depths of the sea.

When there are too many similes or metaphors, work can become melodramatic fast, and if the images put into your readers' heads seem too far removed from your setting, the readers can forget the action altogether. Especially if the imagery makes no sense even by itself.

Sometimes, an author becomes insecure, and perhaps does not believe that his or her readers will trudge though an entire chapter to figure something out. This results in:

Parentheatricals
    When the author butts in

The city of Townsville (AN: Yes, I know it's silly, but I really wanted that classic narration) was under attack! (AN: Don't worry, you'll find out by what later) A gigantic squid creature tore up entire buildings off their foundations (AN: I know squid live in water, but I thought it was cool), and the Powerpuff Girls were nowhere to be seen!

They were back at their house watching old reruns of Silverhawks on TV (AN: I know probably no networks run that show anymore, but I liked it as a kid).

It's very distracting when the author doesn't put the messages to the reader at the very beginning or end of a story.

I'll start this entry with two more ways to not begin a fanfiction. This first mistake involves OCs, and it's called:

Rolecall!
    When the story is delayed

Here are all the OCs in my fanfic:

Name: Cindy Ellman
    Hair Color: Strawberry blonde
    Eyes: Blue
    Hobbies: Jogging, gymnastics, and video games
    Favorite Color: Green
    Favorite Book: The Hobbit

Name: Kassydie Wilson-Rose
    Hair Color: Red, dyed with purple highlights
    Eyes: Brown
    Hobbies: Composing, reading
    Favorite Color: Purple
    Favorite Book: The Catcher in the Rye

(Repeat the same process for five more characters.)

If a reader can't find out the important character details from the story itself, there's something wrong. Most people will not sit through an entire first chapter of nothing but a shopping list of various traits before the plot starts. Think; how many of these characteristics are really important to the story?
    In this next issue, an author forgets how fanfiction works.

Lawyer-phobic
    Wherein an author does not understand the legal system

(Posted on a fanfiction site) Author's Note: I do not own Starsky and Hutch even though I want to, so, legal system, please do not chase me down and squash me like a grape for using other peoples' characters.

When posting work on a fanfiction site, the author is not making money off of the work. Unless the creators/company behind whatever work the author is writing for has specifically stated that they will not tolerate fanwork, and have an agreement with the site post on, the author is safe.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    Since the Writers' Lounge is the place to give advice, I bumped it on over.

Hmm... I've written a couple guides, so I thought I would leave my thoughts.

I like your basic concept you have here, but I'm having trouble with the way it's being written out. I can understand if you're trying to provide examples, but not everyone is going to read/watch all of the stuff you do, so the wide variety of examples can actually turn off readers rather than give them something to go off of. And to be quite honest, I skipped over a couple of them because I still got the point. Then again, I'm not the type of person to go and read a guide on how to write fanfiction simply because I'm confident on my ability to write one, but this does bring me to my next point.

I feel like you rushed through your explanations way too quickly. You touched on the things you should avoid, but you didn't really explain on why you should avoid them. It would be nice to see the ideas fleshed out a little bit more, possibly replacing the examples. A good explanation should implant exactly what you want it to into the minds of the readers.

If you really want to include the examples, you have to cater to a specific audience. Since this is a pokemon forum, it seems a little weird to me that you're using all of these franchises besides pokemon to convey your points. Pick your audience, and build the guide for them.

Besides that, this is pretty good. The points you bring up are legitimate concerns that new writers really need to watch out for. If I were to add something, a section on Mary/Gary Sues would be nice, as that's a pitfall I see a lot of writers fall into. I hope you take my advice into consideration, and good luck with the updates.

ShivaDF

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I feel like you rushed through your explanations way too quickly. You touched on the things you should avoid, but you didn't really explain on why you should avoid them. It would be nice to see the ideas fleshed out a little bit more, possibly replacing the examples. A good explanation should implant exactly what you want it to into the minds of the readers.

If you really want to include the examples, you have to cater to a specific audience. Since this is a pokemon forum, it seems a little weird to me that you're using all of these franchises besides pokemon to convey your points. Pick your audience, and build the guide for them.
    Thanks for moving this!

You're right. Would it be completely fixed if I just spent more time with my explanations of each mistake, or should I adjust the examples as well? Back when I was writing this, I wrote in an episodic fashion because I didn't know any better. In the book this is based on, the authors did provide far more explanation than I have here.

Originally, when I had this posted on fictionpress, I chose a bunch of different fandoms which I saw a lot of fanfiction for because I had no idea what my audience was going to be. Now, you're right, I should focus my scope, but I'm not certain how to do that now. I supposed I could change all of the fandoms to pokemon... after all, all of these mistakes apply to pokemon fanfiction as much as they apply to other fanfiction. Right now I only have one example with pokemon (I haven't posted that yet).

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    ShivaDF said:
    Would it be completely fixed if I just spent more time with my explanations of each mistake, or should I adjust the examples as well?
    This is more of a stylistic choice than anything. Honestly, it's whatever you feel like you need to get your point across in the best possible manner. Just remember that you want to be quick and to the point, but at the same time, go into detail about the choices you've made here and make sure to back up any claims you've made. Isn't writing fun?

Now, you're right, I should focus my scope, but I'm not certain how to do that now.
    Well, what's your audience? Right now, I would say beginning writers who are writing pokemon fanfics. Now with that in mind, you have to use examples that just about everyone in your target audience would know, and changing all of your examples to pokemon related ones would be a step in the right direction.

ShivaDF

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Isn't writing fun?
    Ha. Ha. =_=

True, I shouldn't assume fans know what fandoms I am talking about; although this forum is for all fiction. I will change all of the examples. Hm... this may take a while.
    I'll leave the normal guide on fictionpress.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    Wasn't there one of these already? I swear there was.

Anywho, while this mentioned a lot of basic things that very new writers, both in general and in fanfiction needs, it doesn't address anything for just fanfiction writing in general. Like how to make a fanfiction successful. It mentions a lot of things that people mess up on - oh how I hate improper dialogue punctuation - but what are some things you SHOULD do? How to make a catching title, how to write a well-rounded and eye-catching summary. How to respond to both negative and positive reviews, that sort of thing.

We need a how to guide, not a 'how not to' guide.

While writing an original work and writing a fanfiction are still writing, there are differences and unwritten rules, you know? Also, there is not much here to go off of anyways. If you're going to teach someone to write, there is so, so much more to teach. This is just a list of common errors.

Honestly, it should be more advice, in my opinion, rather than 'what not to do/what to do'.

Last edited:

ShivaDF

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Wasn't there one of these already? I swear there was.
    I saw something similar on a different site, but it was more about issues everybody talks about, like Mary Sues and writers calling eyes "emerald orbs." I don't think there's something like this on this site?
    Anywho, while this mentioned a lot of basic things that very new writers, both in general and in fanfiction needs, it doesn't address anything for just fanfiction writing in general. Like how to make a fanfiction successful. It mentions a lot of things that people mess up on - oh how I hate improper dialogue punctuation - but what are some things you SHOULD do? How to make a catching title, how to write a well-rounded and eye-catching summary. How to respond to both negative and positive reviews, that sort of thing.

We need a how to guide, not a 'how not to' guide.
    I've seen plenty of those (as in, how-tos on fanfiction) on the internet already. And, regardless, people needing a how-to guide doesn't mean that I can't decide to write a how not to guide if I want to do so. As for things specific to fanfiction, I feel like all of the issues I mentioned in this guide ARE pretty much specific to fanfiction. I don't think I've ever seen a literary novel with author's notes strewn throughout the narrative or improper dialogue tags.
    Honestly, it should be more advice, in my opinion, rather than 'what not to do/what to do'.
    I agree with this, though. I'm going to re-write most of this guide and post more informative sections when I have time in a month or so. Or, I can revisit things I've already covered in brand-new sections. I'm not sure yet.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    The Elmore Leonard Tag
    When the readers are amazed that the character could really chuckle that whole sentence

Batman had finally gotten Two-Face cornered in the abandoned warehouse. His hired goons were unconscious, their bodies strewn across the floor. Batman had Two-Face on his stomach, his left arm in a lock.

"Tell me where you're keeping the hostages," Batman twisted the arm.

"I'll never tell," Two-Face spat out blood.

"Suit yourself, Dent," Batman wrenched the arm.

"I hate you!" Two-Face, trying to break free.

For some reason, many authors forget that when one puts a comma at the end of a snippet of dialogue, whatever action one says the speaker did afterward was what made the sentence "happen." Could Batman really have said words by twisting Two-Face's arm? This snippet reads like a rejected screenplay novelization.

A lot of people make this mistake. I was one of them, probably because I read too many works that didn't have any editors!

This one confuses me. So absolutely do not put an action after a quote, or only certain things?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Shiva's trying to explain the proper way to punctuate dialogue, but I can see where the confusion comes from. There should have been more explanation as to why it's wrong to write that way. Grammar rules can be easily explained, and just saying "don't do this!" without explaining why or what the proper way is can cause confusion.

You can put action after dialogue. You just have to punctuate the sentences correctly. I'll explain better with sentences from my own work, since I'm not liking that "Two-Face, trying to break free" part. That's just an incomplete sentence.

"That's odd." Miyako tapped the keyboard.
    "Miyako tapped the keyboard" is not explaining in any way how she says the dialogue. Therefore, the dialogue and the narration after it are separate sentences, which is why there's a full stop after "odd." It ends that sentence so the next one can begin, and both are complete on their own.

"It's too bad that we don't know what causes it to open," Miyako said.
    Here, "said" is a dialogue tag, and it explains how the dialogue is spoken in the story. So the dialogue and the action after it run together into one sentence. That's why there's a comma after "open," so it's all one sentence.

"Let me try," Daisuke shoved Miyako out of her chair.
    Here, there is no dialogue tag explaining how he said what he said. So the comma after "try" is wrong. It should be a full stop to make them separate sentences.

You can have action after your dialogue. The portion of the guide is just saying to make sure you punctuate everything correctly.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    So then is this okay?

"Thank you very much," John said, shaking Joe's hand.

That's how I normally write.

ShivaDF

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    "Thank you very much," John said, shaking Joe's hand.
    That's totally correct. This is also correct:
    "Thank you very much." John shook Joe's hand.
    Because the dialogue is not connected to the tag.
    This would be wrong:
    "Thank you very much," John shook Joe's hand.
    Because John can't say words by shaking Joe's hand.

I can see my guide is not all at useful or amusing to people. I'd like this thread locked, if that's okay.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back