• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you compare your excitement for Sun/Moon to X/Y's release?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
  • Much more hyped for SM than XY but only because of XY. Before Y, the last game I played was in Generation III (outside of ten minutes or so of my sister's Platinum). I kept up with the series, but bought neither a console or game for it. I finally got Y and a 3DS about a year after release. Playing it had reinvigorated me for the series and now I'm back into it. So SM will be a preorder for me and I can't wait, but I wouldnt have been has excited if I never played Y.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    When X and Y were released, I was on a Pokemon hiatus, and now I'm chompin' @ the bit, so on a scale to ten:
    Excitement for X/Y: 0.
    Excitement for S/M: Perfect 10.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • As much as I love XY, I'm definitely more hyped this go-around. The reason being is because after I had played Black 2, I was considering the possibility of retiring from playing the Pokemon games. So when XY was first announced, I was kinda "meh" about it until more info gradually came out. The fact that we'll be in a place this time that I've been to in real life has turned up my hype level to 11.

Years
  • X/Y's announcements brought me back into the franchise. I was really stoked when I saw they were making the transition to 3D, and I thought Xerneas and Yveltal were cool. I remember only really liking Chespin. I never really warmed up to the other starters (okay Froakie is kinda cool.

Despite being so hyped for X/Y, I'm even more hyped for sun and moon. I don't want to be, but everything is hitting the right notes for me atm. I think "Sun and Moon" are great motifs to build the games off of, and I'm super excited to see how they execute everything. After seeing gameplay + starters + legends my hype kinda skyrocketed. These are the first pair of mascots I legit love the designs of. It's also the first time in a long time I've liked every single starter design, and I love that they've gone back to more simple designs.

Then add general 20th anniversary hype on top of all that, + this being the second 3DS generation they're releasing, meaning it'll inevitably be more polished than X/Y was.

There's still a few things I'm anxious about (amount of new pokemon, quality of story) but that aside, I'm extremely stoked for the upcoming gen.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Despite being so hyped for X/Y, I'm even more hyped for sun and moon. I don't want to be, but everything is hitting the right notes for me atm. I think "Sun and Moon" are great motifs to build the games off of, and I'm super excited to see how they execute everything. After seeing gameplay + starters + legends my hype kinda skyrocketed. These are the first pair of mascots I legit love the designs of. It's also the first time in a long time I've liked every single starter design, and I love that they gone back to more simple designs.

I can see your point over the starters' designs having a more simple vibe to them, so Sugimori was definitely right about what he mentioned about a "return to simplicity" and that's easily evident in these starter designs.

The legendaries still look overdesigned, but then again that's something we get used to with a lot of recent legendaries.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Well of course I can't wait for the November 18th !

But... I was more hyped for XY. But I blame the lack of information. X/Y was all new stuff. First time in 3D. WE COULD SIT ON THE BENCH!! This was something that excited me a lot back then. Then, they showed us the Mega. Mega Evolutions!

Now we have Sun and Moon. Still in 3D, not so much of a big change in the graphics. Okay, new Pokemon, cool, but we only saw... 8? (3 starters, the bird, a random normal type look alike in the japanese video (probably the random normal, weak, you catch at the beginning of the game) , the bird, two legendary, Magearna I assume). I wish we'll have new information soon and we'll see something new, like, really new!

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I was super hyped when XY were released! At first I thought they were just spin-off titles though as I missed their announcement for it! I stayed up to date with everything, (regrettably) even the leaks when the game was releases like a week early in some parts of Europe. I was so excited for it being the first game on the 3DS which I bought just for the eventual release of a Pokémon game on it!

I think my excitement for Sun/Moon will takeover pretty soon though. I literally got chills watching the trailer the other day! It was so exciting seeing the advanced graphics even from the Kalos and revamped Hoenn region. I feel like this game might focus more on story and new Pokémon too as XY had to focus on the evolution from sprites to 3D models. I'm gonna try not overhype these games too much like I did with XY because it ultimately lead to them being disappointments to me. It's key I avoid spoilers once the game is out though because I don't want to see the Champion/Evil Team Leader ruined on me like I had with the previous Gen (even if it was super obvious).​

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    Very hyped until I saw the new pokemon. Was even on a stream counting down with everyone expecting the best and then boom, all the starters are crap, the sun legendary is just a rip off of pyroar, the moon legendary looks ok but not really a pokemon in my eyes like nearly all the legendaries they have made. As it currently stands I will not be buying the game, we will see with new announcements though.

Worldrush

Worldrush
    Years
  • I think with the fact that its been a yaer without a new pokemon game, and there will be new pokmeon for Sun and Moon has me more excited than X/Y. I am not sure if all my excitement is from myself or I am just absorbing off of everyone else. I really have been stared for a new pokemon game. I liked playing OR/AS. Yet with this new game there so many questions that I wanting to know and with some of the new pokemon that looked to appear for X/Y I am assuming will appear in this game. You could say my excitement for this game is over 9000!!!!

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    I'm more hyped for SM than XY. Hawaii based region sounds amazing to me.
    Please I have dreamed of a cat fire starter for years.

Last edited:

Outlier

In retrospect it was kind of dumb of me to compare the hype of Sun/Moon to XY because of all the graphical improvements we got from 5th gen to 6th Gen as you guys have mentioned. A better thread would have been to compare the hype of Sun/Moon to all the previous games but too late now lol.

Back